Mini prepping. (Covid-19 thread)

Tonik

2 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Anyone else have trouble listening to Dr. Amy Acton? Her monotone voice is just really hard for me to listen to. Maybe it's the eco in chamber they are broadcasting from but I litetlly can't take more than 5 min of her. I know I know #firstworldproblems

Turn the sound off and just get it from the deaf interpreter lady. She is awesome.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, what said:

Population density mixed with frequently touched/high-traffic public spaces and a large population of people that travel to/from China and Italy going under the radar for weeks are the main factors that were brought up. Not in this press conference but by the female physician on Trump's team, Deborah I think.

"a large population of people that travel to/from China and Italy going under the radar for weeks are the main factors that were brought up."

If that's the case, it sounds like stricter isolation is needed for NYC and probably for a longer period.

They should consider more drastic measures like using hotels (bet they are empty right now) for isolation.  That could add thousands of beds for people that don't need ICU care, and keep them from spreading it any further.

6 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Anyone else have trouble listening to Dr. Amy Acton? Her monotone voice is just really hard for me to listen to. Maybe it's the eco in chamber they are broadcasting from but I litetlly can't take more than 5 min of her. I know I know #firstworldproblems

I know what you mean. She has a breathy voice to begin with, but today's audio was turned up way too high on the statehouse's side. Both DeWine's and Acton's voices were overmodulated, causing their speech to be just slightly (and irritatingly) garbled. If you aren't aware of just how horrible Dr. Acton's childhood was, please visit her Wiki page. She was actually living in a tent for a while. Amazing she was able to rise to the professional level she has attained.

26 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

"a large population of people that travel to/from China and Italy going under the radar for weeks are the main factors that were brought up."

If that's the case, it sounds like stricter isolation is needed for NYC and probably for a longer period.

They should consider more drastic measures like using hotels (bet they are empty right now) for isolation.  That could add thousands of beds for people that don't need ICU care, and keep them from spreading it any further.

Those people already did the damage, unknowingly, weeks ago. Containment/isolation has failed and they are hunkering down for 2 or 3 weeks of hell right now it seems.

• Upvote 1

There is no way in hell schools are going to resume brick and mortar teaching this academic year. By the time April 5th rolls around, which is currently the time we all are scheduled to go back after break, COVID will be in full swing.

Pence is a much better orator than Trump; he presents information without biases and digressions, and in a way that engages audiences. He is much more succinct and unemotional, and shows an admirable economy with words. 

This makes zero sense.... Only essential can work, rest go home and shelter.... But, we need more people to work at all the essential places that are hiring.

So, I can't do my trade because I might contract Covid-19. But I can work at an unfamiliar place with unfamiliar people doing a job I know little about.

Why am I home?

So don't work here... Work here.

Stay inside but go outside for excersizing.

1 minute ago, snot said:

This makes zero sense.... Only essential can work, rest go home and shelter.... But, we need more people to work at all the essential places that are hiring.

If 100K people stay home from work as non-essential....but 10k if them get jobs at the grocery store there are still 90k off the streets. Essential jobs created will not be anywhere near the number on non-essential jobs shut down.

Plus the number of social contacts per day is greatly diminished. When I went to work I interacted at the gas station for snaks in the morning and then somewhere for lunch....then groceries on the way home.

2 of those three are now eliminated.

3 minutes ago, snot said:

So, I can't do my trade because I might contract Covid-19. But I can work at an unfamiliar place with unfamiliar people doing a job I know little about.

Why am I home?

Jen, calm yourself. Yeah, there are contradictions. Be cool, and don't excessively watch media reports. Don't go to work if you are able. Shelter, read, take naps, work out at home as best you can, talk with your hubby, cook, sleep. This is an unprecedented situation. We will be fine after we comply with the restrictions imposed by those who know.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tonik said:

If 100K people stay home from work as non-essential....but 10k if them get jobs at the grocery store there are still 90k off the streets. Essential jobs created will not be anywhere near the number on non-essential jobs shut down.

Plus the number of social contacts per day is greatly diminished. When I went to work I interacted at the gas station for snaks in the morning and then somewhere for lunch....then groceries on the way home.

2 of those three are now eliminated.

Just be sure, as always, to wash hands after handling ANYTHING, including snacks at the gas station, and groceries handled at the store after you arrive home. Don't forget the mail--wash hands after retrieving from the box.

58 minutes ago, snot said:

Why am I home?

I've just been eating ice cream non stop.  It'll be ok. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Pauly said:

What channel is everyone watching? I could barely get anything from the last feed with all the lag. 

Been streaming everything from YouTube. Haven't even turned my satalite receiver box on in weeks.

Edited by 2talltim

Best to do whatever it is to relax while this shitstorm is taking place until it blows over. Be mindful that it won't last forever. Do what you can to be calm. Lay in supplies of yer favorite stuff. Sleep well. Pray for divine guidance if you are so inclined. Know that this will pass, and that life will continue, most likely including your own!

Working from home is driving me nuts... My house is 866 sqft. Working out at home sucks! Little equipment no real weights (like I have anywhere to put them)... I like cardio workouts and strength.... Crossfit. 

My agreement for work is 8-4, answer email and calls within 30 min. Be able to get to the site within 1 hour if called (I live 40 minutes away). And report what I did all day.

So, I am stuck in a cereal box hooked to the VPN so they can see me... And making sure I don't time out from 8-4.

I did 10 pushups every hour today.

I still think motorcycling checks most of the boxes. Plenty of social distance, gloves, helmet to guard against others sneezes and coughs. If I can just get the weather to cooperate. 

• Upvote 3