Mini prepping. (Covid-19 thread)

Tonik

5 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

The media has been trying super hard to make that point, but...

Fauci on the other hand hasn't said that.  Here's what he did say "there isn't, fundamentally, a difference" between his view and President Donald Trump's when it comes to combatting coronavirus, saying Trump just approaches fighting the pandemic from a "hope, layperson standpoint" while he approaches it from a scientific one."

They are speaking side by in the news conferences and seem to be on the same page from what I've viewed with my own eyes.  I put more stock in that than filtering opinions of through the talking heads in the media :dunno:

That was my take on it as well. Trump wants to convey hope to people saying hydroxichloroquin might be effective at treating this, Fauci agreed with him but stipulated that the drug still needs to be tested (which it is starting today, 10,000 doses going to patients in NY supposedly) to see verifiable results so the FDA can approve it as a form of treatment for dire cases. That's businessman/politician vs. doctor/scientist speak. Same idea just different approaches for different crowds. Fauci wanted to avoid people going out and buying chloroquin used for other purposes, taking it as "medicine" and dying. https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/man-dies-after-ingesting-chloroquine-attempt-prevent-coronavirus-n1167166

I never thought I would say this but for the last few days at least I think Trump has been doing as good a job as anyone could in the position we are in. Nobody knows exactly how to deal with this. He seems to be listening to the people on his task force at the very least. I guess we'll see how good a job they are doing after this is all over. Maybe I'll be eating my shoe, but I hope not.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

The media has been trying super hard to make that point, but...

Fauci on the other hand hasn't said that.  Here's what he did say "there isn't, fundamentally, a difference" between his view and President Donald Trump's when it comes to combatting coronavirus, saying Trump just approaches fighting the pandemic from a "hope, layperson standpoint" while he approaches it from a scientific one."

They are speaking side by in the news conferences and seem to be on the same page from what I've viewed with my own eyes.  I put more stock in that than filtering opinions of through the talking heads in the media :dunno:

9 minutes ago, what said:

That was my take on it as well. Trump wants to convey hope to people saying hydroxichloroquin might be effective at treating this, Fauci agreed with him but stipulated that the drug still needs to be tested (which it is starting today, 10,000 doses going to patients in NY supposedly) to see verifiable results so the FDA can approve it as a form of treatment for dire cases. That's businessman/politician vs. doctor/scientist speak. Same idea just different approaches for different crowds. Fauci wanted to avoid people going out and buying chloroquin used for other purposes, taking it as "medicine" and dying. https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/man-dies-after-ingesting-chloroquine-attempt-prevent-coronavirus-n1167166

I never thought I would say this but for the last few days at least I think Trump has been doing as good a job as anyone could in the position we are in. Nobody knows exactly how to deal with this. He seems to be listening to the people on his task force at the very least. I guess we'll see how good a job they are doing after this is all over. Maybe I'll be eating my shoe, but I hope not.

Does anyone think that a business man turn politician is going to say the exact same thing  every time as a Dr that is leading disease expert?  

They are working closely together, but if Trump uses  a single word that is different than Fauci, there are 30 headlines that say "Trump Lied" or "Trump Contradicts His Own Experts."  It's fucking moronic.

The media is making us dumber as a nation.  Watch the press conferences yourself and form your own opinions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, what said:

I never thought I would say this but for the last few days at least I think Trump has been doing as good a job as anyone could in the position we are in.

Right up until he hinted he was really happy Mitt might have Covid. Dude is a sorry excuse for a human being.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Watch the press conferences yourself and form your own opinions.

Exactly what me and Mrs. has been doing. Every evening we watch White House P.C. then Dewine's. 

• Upvote 1

Who is using all the PPE?

Hospitals are not over flowing across the nation. With all the elective shit not being done and regular dental, eye exams not being done, we should have plenty. 

And using haz suits without decontamination could spread it. Haz suits only protect who is inside. You are not supposed to wear them into clean areas.

Test? Does it even matter at this point? We are still under 1% of the population, people who are sick need test for correct treatment, not the whole world.

I think Trump is doing a good job, I think the media made everyone panic and fucked up the plan. My .02

This is why I need to work.... To stop making fucked up comments about shit I can't control.

Edited by snot

6 minutes ago, snot said:

Who is using all the PPE?

Hospitals are not over flowing across the nation. With all the elective shit not being done and regular dental, eye exams not being done, we should have plenty. 

And using haz suits without decontamination could spread it. Haz suits only protect who is inside. You are not supposed to wear them into clean areas.

Test? Does it even matter at this point? We are still under 1% of the population, people who are sick need test for correct treatment, not the whole world.

I think Trump is doing a good job, I think the media made everyone panic and fucked up the plan. My .02

This is why I need to work.... To stop making fucked up comments about shit I can't control.

Idiots who assumed that masks were the cure for COVID snapped them up, used them, then pitched them. Another item that was initially hoarded by the ill-informed masses. I think tests are irrelevant now. If you are deathly sick, seek treatment. Otherwise, stay home and recover. We don't have any medicine or a vaccine yet, so it makes no difference if you know you have it or don't. Trump was all bluster and braggadocio until recently, offering medical advice and opinions when an expert was usually standing right next to him--often correcting his incorrect assertions.

If you think the national media coverage of COVID has any agenda other than trying to get you to not vote for Trump in November...then consider yourself bent over, and successfully manipulated.

I personally don't care who you vote for, but at least do it with your eyes open.

How easy is it to make decisions to torpedo your own economy to slow the spread of a disease?  We were quicker than most countries to impose travel restrictions and many in our own media called those restrictions "racist."   

Our biggest misstep was the time it took for the CDC to develop a valid COVID test and get it to the masses.   You know the CDC, right...the experts than Trump doesn't listen to, right?   The CDCs first attempt produced an unreliable test.  The CDC announced the test was available.  Trump's team repeated that announcement...then the CDC recalled the test.  The media response was, of course "Trump Lied."    

The CDC and FDA have both done some back pedaling since then.  I'm sure that to is Trump's fault...somehow 🙄

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Qman said:

This is one of the saddest and most tragic stories to come out of this whole mess. Ridiculous. But desparate, fearful people will sometimes try anything. I don't think it was right of the surviving spouse to have placed the blame on Trump, unless she is allowing him to think for her. Who could not have known what a dumb move this was.

• Beer 1

NYC is about to be a death zone. A new peak case estimate of 14-21 days from today, with new infections doubling every 3 days. Seems the shelter-in-place order did not do enough to curb the spread, at least in NYC and surrounding areas. With the population density and the length of time this thing can live on surfaces it's not surprising. Sadly.

video for anyone interested:

12 minutes ago, what said:

NYC is about to be a death zone. A new peak case estimate of 14-21 days from today, with new infections doubling every 3 days. Seems the shelter-in-place order did not do enough to curb the spread, at least in NYC and surrounding areas. With the population density and the length of time this thing can live on surfaces it's not surprising. Sadly.

video for anyone interested:

I hate to have to agree with this, but I do. Hopefully, NYC has enough healthcare facilities proportionate to the population density. I would imagine that there is some sort of formula that city planners follow to ensure this, but I don't know.

6 minutes ago, snot said:

Who is paying for unemployment for all the strippers and hookers....

Uh, aren't those folks considered *essential*? If not, they certainly should be.

Edited by SpecialEd
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, snot said:

Nope.. No bars... And soon no liquor if the media keeps pushing the issue.

One thing I will not go without during all this shelter-in-place bullshit is booze. I heard today during DeWine's press conference that Pennsylvania has apparently closed up all their liquor stores. A week ago, I picked up a good supply of Skyy vodka for my wife and bourbon for me. This is no time for a temperance movement.

Edited by SpecialEd

2 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

One thing I will not go without during all this shelter-in-place bullshit is booze. I heard today during DeWine's press conference that Pennsylvania has apparently closed up all their liquor stores. A week ago, I picked up a good supply of Skyy vodka for my wife and bourbon for me. This is no time for a temperance movement.

IMG_20200321_161122688.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, what said:

Didn't watch his whole press conference.

Do they believe this a factor of population density alone or are their other factors at play that are specific to NYC?  

5 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Do they believe this a factor of population density alone or are their other factors at play that are specific to NYC?  

travel hub and frequency of travel.

But picture a cruise ship standing on 1 end.

Edited by motocat12

21 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Population density mixed with frequently touched/high-traffic public spaces and a large population of people that travel to/from China and Italy going under the radar for weeks are the main factors that were brought up. Not in this press conference but by the female physician on Trump's team, Deborah I think.

Anyone else have trouble listening to Dr. Amy Acton? Her monotone voice is just really hard for me to listen to. Maybe it's the eco in chamber they are broadcasting from but I litetlly can't take more than 5 min of her. I know I know #firstworldproblems

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1