Mini prepping. (Covid-19 thread)

Tonik

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

If it is full correctly and you check it after it sits overnight you may think it is a quart low.

In these colder temps, run 10 to 15 minutes, let it sit 30 seconds then check it.

I think you are .2 to .5 over full. But that is just a guess.

Everything I read pointed to 5 qts. I let it sit for about 10 minutes before I rechecked it. I had it leveled on the side stand with 2x4s. With 5.5(ish) qts, the oil is about 2/3 up the safety hashes. I wasn't about to add more until I checked it in the am. It may have just under 5.5 qts. I never go by any amount a manual recommends.. even the service manual. I always defer to the dipstick or sight glass. 

I will report my findings in the morning. Thanks, Jim. 

14 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Everything I read pointed to 5 qts. I let it sit for about 10 minutes before I rechecked it. I had it leveled on the side stand with 2x4s. With 5.5(ish) qts, the oil is about 2/3 up the safety hashes. I wasn't about to add more until I checked it in the am. It may have just under 5.5 qts. I never go by any amount a manual recommends.. even the service manual. I always defer to the dipstick or sight glass. 

I will report my findings in the morning. Thanks, Jim. 

Should be close. My vaquero took 5 and change. Hated checking it. That dipstick gets hot as hell. 

20 minutes ago, Killer_kaw said:

. Hated checking it. That dipstick gets hot as hell. 

My wife's scout is in a stupid place too. They recommend checking it after running it for 2 or 3 min but the dip stick is behind the freaking header pipe. No way to check it without mechanics gloves on.

52 minutes ago, Steve Butters said:

I always just change mine and check it cold later 🤷🏻‍♂️if it's within the window I call it good. Fancy fucks. 

The only bikes I ever had with dipsticks are the Voyager and my 2004 FZ6 and 2008 FZ6. The Voyager is within the safe range on the stick. I doubt I will make any adjustments, but on Jim's advice I will check to be certain. 

3 hours ago, SpecialEd said:

Kent, I'm 64. I spoke with many guys about this, and decided that 65 was my goal because I'm in pretty good shape and have longevity in my family. Most of them tried to convince me to take SS as early as possible, but their reasoning exceeded my mathematical comprehension. I will start SS and one of my pensions in about 8 months, but will still work until I drop dead. Summers off are very boring, even though I am an avid reader. 

Do you plan on working in retirement?

I haven’t worked in over 4 years. I do everything but make the money., shopping, cleaning, cooking, laundry, everything. My wife doesn’t lift a finger around the house unless she wants to. She is a RN/ DON  and is well paid, I worked in a auto parts distribution center for Advance auto for 30 years. I don’t miss working and all of the corporate BS that goes with it. It took me a little while to adjust but now I am usually good.

7 hours ago, Howabusa said:

I haven’t worked in over 4 years. I do everything but make the money., shopping, cleaning, cooking, laundry, everything. My wife doesn’t lift a finger around the house unless she wants to. She is a RN/ DON  and is well paid, I worked in a auto parts distribution center for Advance auto for 30 years. I don’t miss working and all of the corporate BS that goes with it. It took me a little while to adjust but now I am usually good.

Sounds to me that you ARE working full-time . . . at home 😌

Tried to get out for a walk a few times this week in one of our many local parks, but everyone had the same idea. No place to park, and no way, practically, to social distance. We opened an Instacart account and are having groceries delivered.

2 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Literally seen twelve cars on my way to work this morning. Two of them were cops. 

It's amazing how quiet it is outside now. No traffic noise, few kids playing. It's nice but creepy at the same time.

8 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Literally seen twelve cars on my way to work this morning. Two of them were cops. 

I was out and about yesterday and saw cops everywhere. They were in places I typically don’t see them.  I was thinking of a motorcycle ride Thursday but if it’s going to be worse than a holiday weekend I don’t know that I want to deal with it. 

12 minutes ago, durk said:

I was out and about yesterday and saw cops everywhere. They were in places I typically don’t see them.  I was thinking of a motorcycle ride Thursday but if it’s going to be worse than a holiday weekend I don’t know that I want to deal with it. 

Probably shouldn't be railing it hard at this time anyway. Two reasons. One I really wouldn't want to make trip to the ER right now. And two the roads are covered with pea gravel and winter debris still. As far as just being out durring the stay at home, I really don't think cops are going to care as long as your not being a tool. 

Edited by 2talltim

3 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Probably shouldn't be railing it hard at this time anyway. Two reasons. One I really wouldn't want to make trip to the ER right now. And two the roads are covered with pea gravel and winter debris still. As far as just being out durring the stay at home, I really don't think cops are going to care as long as your not being a tool. 

No plans of necessarily railing it, but I doubt I’ll be riding the legal speed limit as well. We’ll see what Thursday brings. It could be crap weather. Not concerned about being pulled over if I’m obeying the law, but I don’t want to see Johnny around every corner. 

Disclaimer this is total ricer math here and maybe I don't have all the current information but........

Amy Acton said a couple days ago that Ohio only had less than a few thousand available test total.  Yesterday alone New York had over 5000 new confirmed cases. Also heard a possitive rate of 10%(ish) of all the test taken. So that means NY took around 50, 000 test 2-3 days ago(due to the the testing time table) How in the hell does NY get that many more test than other sates.  Just seems almost criminal. 

Edited by 2talltim

11 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Disclaimer this is total ricer math here and maybe I don't have all the current information but........

Amy Acton said a couple days ago that Ohio only had less than a few thousand available test total.  Yesterday alone New York had over 5000 new confirmed cases. Also heard a possitive rate of 10%(ish) of all the test taken. So that means NY took around 50, 000 test 2-3 days ago(due to the the testing time table) How in the hell does NY get that many more test than other sates.  Just seems almost criminal. 

Because they have over 15,000 confirmed cases and Ohio has a few hundred. Studies are showing that the best possible way to "contain" the spread is to identify carriers early and isolate them from the public. NY is doing their best to handle the situation. They are a major US import city. A total lockdown of state borders and traffic would put a huge dent in the spread, but that won't happen. It is in our best interest to let NY test as many people as possible, so long as they are making sure those testing positive are adequately quarantined. 

4 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Because they have over 15,000 confirmed cases and Ohio has a few hundred. Studies are showing that the best possible way to "contain" the spread is to identify carriers early and isolate them from the public. NY is doing their best to handle the situation. They are a major US import city. A total lockdown of state borders and traffic would put a huge dent in the spread, but that won't happen. It is in our best interest to let NY test as many people as possible, so long as they are making sure those testing positive are adequately quarantined. 

I just think if there was mass testing across all states there would be similar numbers in all states. I still think it's been here longer than we realize and the testing is just confirming it.  Also think the testing does nothing more than give us a gauge at this point. If your only going to test the ones you already think pretty much have it already what's the point. 

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

I really don't think cops are going to care as long as your not being a tool. 

A coworker on his bike got pulled over for doing 70 in a 45 this morning.  Highway Patrol told him "get your shit together" and let him go.

1 minute ago, MSerfozo said:

A coworker on his bike got pulled over for doing 70 in a 45 this morning.  Highway Patrol told him "get your shit together" and let him go.

Good. We all need to cut each other some major slack right now. 

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

I just think if there was mass testing across all states there would be similar numbers in all states. I still think it's been here longer than we realize and the testing is just confirming it.  Also think the testing does nothing more than give us a gauge at this point. If your only going to test the ones you already think pretty much have it already what's the point. 

There would not be similar numbers in all states. 

The virus is ahead of us and will remain that way until it goes away. 

Testing is important because it gathers information needed to build datasets. 

The reason we do not test everyone is because we build more bombers than necessary and not enough medical equipment or infrastructure. We simply do not have the resources to combat this virus. Welcome to The Machine. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Pauly said:

There would not be similar numbers in all states. 

The virus is ahead of us and will remain that way until it goes away. 

Testing is important because it gathers information needed to build datasets. 

The reason we do not test everyone is because we build more bombers than necessary and not enough medical equipment or infrastructure. We simply do not have the resources to combat this virus. Welcome to The Machine. 

did we have the ability to acquire tests before we knew of this virus?

Testing to see who has it is losing out in importance every day to testing to see who has had it and is now immune. Really hope they get those antibody test kits rolled out quickly, that would give a much clearer picture of where we stand, at least in areas that aren't currently drowning in cases. If even 10 or 20% of a given population is effectively immune, that would slow the spread by quite a bit, and from yesterday's press conference it sounds like they are starting to think this spread a lot further a lot sooner than previously thought.

17 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

did we have the ability to acquire tests before we knew of this virus?

2 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Hard to know. If we spent as much on medical research as we do spreading the gospel of democracy.. maybe? 

Not hard to know.  We couldn't.   The test is specific to the virus.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Not hard to know.  We couldn't.   The test is specific to the virus.

America's response to this has been embarrassing. The President is only now invoking War Powers to mandate production of necessary medical equipment and tests that states have been scrambling to get. 

I wonder how many more times Fauci can contradict Trump before he is no longer allowed to talk to the rest of us? 

8 minutes ago, Pauly said:

America's response to this has been embarrassing. The President is only now invoking War Powers to mandate production of necessary medical equipment and tests that states have been scrambling to get. 

I wonder how many more times Fauci can contradict Trump before he is no longer allowed to talk to the rest of us? 

how many medical regulations have been passed since the DPA was last used? I'm curious how fast they can switch over.

last week?

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/18/818069722/trump-invokes-a-cold-war-relic-the-defense-production-act-for-coronavirus-shorta

10 minutes ago, Pauly said:

I  wonder how many more times Fauci can contradict Trump before he is no longer allowed to talk to the rest of us? 

The media has been trying super hard to make that point, but...

Fauci on the other hand hasn't said that.  Here's what he did say "there isn't, fundamentally, a difference" between his view and President Donald Trump's when it comes to combatting coronavirus, saying Trump just approaches fighting the pandemic from a "hope, layperson standpoint" while he approaches it from a scientific one."

They are speaking side by in the news conferences and seem to be on the same page from what I've viewed with my own eyes.  I put more stock in that than filtering opinions of through the talking heads in the media :dunno:

• Upvote 2