Mini prepping. (Covid-19 thread)

Tonik

7 minutes ago, Killer_kaw said:

It’s official. Due to the danger of the corona pandemic and orders imposed by our governor. My facility is moving to a 24/7 work week. Management has found a loophole. Apparently painting sheet metal is essential to life. 

I went to worked yesterday voluntary. Half the people that volunteered didnt show. So they sent us home and paid us for 4 hours. I'll take it this time of year. When the weather breaks, hell no.

55 minutes ago, Qman said:

"Government makes shit up"...which is why i refuse to listen to NPR.

More importantly, How legit is it to ride a motorbike on public roads now?  If i keep my panniers on, and look like i'm headed to the store, is that good?  OTOH, I'm really afraid of being in an accident and being taken to a hospital, which is the last place I want to be right now.  (God Bless the folks that work in them).

hopefully the lack of cars and elderly lowers that risk.

Animation

Once I'm out of self quarantine I will probably do some day rides down to a park to "go walking" in SEO or something. Assuming the weather is nice and we aren't at full scale national guard deployment acting as police yet.

Edited by what

16 minutes ago, Qman said:

On the contrary.....google is your friend....Just sayin.

from https://www.cpb.org/faq..

"CPB is a private nonprofit corporation that is fully funded by the federal government. Ninety-five percent of CPB's appropriation goes directly to local public media stations, content development, community services, and other local station and system needs."

19 minutes ago, Qman said:

On the contrary.....google is your friend....Just sayin.

https://archives.cjr.org/behind_the_news/dont_forget_the_facts_about_np.php

This is from journalism's most respected authorities: The Columbia Journalism Review. You will see a sentence on this page: "NPR actually does not receive any government funding for its operational costs." This is a bit more reliable that Wikipedia, which I suspect is the source of your (mis) information.

According to the CDC, about 7,700 people die every day in the US.  So, since the first case of COVID 19 was reported in the US (63 days), about 485,000 people have died in the US.  About 500 of those were due to COVID 19.

I realize a contagious disease can spread exponentially.  Not discounting anything, just a bit of perspective.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

According to the CDC, about 7,700 people die every day in the US.  So, since the first case of COVID 19 was reported in the US (63 days), about 485,000 people have died in the US.  About 500 of those were due to COVID 19.

I realize a contagious disease can spread exponentially.  Not discounting anything, just a bit of perspective.

The death tally won't outpace total deaths from other factors but it will be enough to put a dent in the averages for this year, should things get really out of control. That said, risk of death for this overall is very low. It's just a lot higher than the other more common highly communicable diseases out and about right now.

40 minutes ago, Tonik said:

How long did you run it prior to doing that?

About 30 seconds. I also ran it for about 5 minutes before I drained both plugs. While it was draining, I rocked the bike back and forth to be sure all of the oil drained before reinstalling both drain plugs. 

I have a hard time believing I all of a sudden have no idea how to change oil on a motorcycle. I have no problem believing you have done it wrong for 70,000 miles. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Pauly said:

About 30 seconds. I also ran it for about 5 minutes before I drained both plugs. While it was draining, I rocked the bike back and forth to be sure all of the oil drained before reinstalling both drain plugs. 

I have a hard time believing I all of a sudden have no idea how to change oil on a motorcycle. I have no problem believing you have done it wrong for 70,000 miles. 

If it is full correctly and you check it after it sits overnight you may think it is a quart low.

In these colder temps, run 10 to 15 minutes, let it sit 30 seconds then check it.

I think you are .2 to .5 over full. But that is just a guess.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Howabusa said:

I am 60. Taking SS at 62.

Kent, I'm 64. I spoke with many guys about this, and decided that 65 was my goal because I'm in pretty good shape and have longevity in my family. Most of them tried to convince me to take SS as early as possible, but their reasoning exceeded my mathematical comprehension. I will start SS and one of my pensions in about 8 months, but will still work until I drop dead. Summers off are very boring, even though I am an avid reader. 

Do you plan on working in retirement?

Edited by SpecialEd