Mini prepping. (Covid-19 thread)

Tonik

37 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

If DeWine makes your blood boil

I honestly thought his early decisions were well thought out. It took a lot of balls to close schools and bars/restaurants. Made sense. All medical folks agree on the fact that if you eliminate contact the virus dies. At some point hopefully public health will Trump the almighty dollar and we can all move past this. Hopefully! There are many people that don’t work because they’d rather not and lots of others that have been told not to go work. I’m not convinced that all these people lining up in front of Sam’s club before they open to buy all the toilet paper and eggs is the answer. Mostly just makes sure the shelves are empty when the rest of us get there after work. 

5 minutes ago, Killer_kaw said:

I honestly thought his early decisions were well thought out. It took a lot of balls to close schools and bars/restaurants. Made sense. All medical folks agree on the fact that if you eliminate contact the virus dies. At some point hopefully public health will Trump the almighty dollar and we can all move past this. Hopefully! There are many people that don’t work because they’d rather not and lots of others that have been told not to go work. I’m not convinced that all these people lining up in front of Sam’s club before they open to buy all the toilet paper and eggs is the answer. Mostly just makes sure the shelves are empty when the rest of us get there after work. 

Yes! And what's with the sudden rush to buy guns?? I really don't understand the whole toilet paper and egg thing, either, as diarrhea is not a COVID symptom, and there appear to be as many eggs in our local markets as anyone could hope for. The Sam's Club/Costco thing is another mystery. Customers packing themselves together ("virus? what virus?") and swinging at each other over parking spaces. Fuck that.

5 minutes ago, Danimal said:

I stand corrected! Never saw this before, so now I know why hoarding toilet paper is a "thing." Any idea about why people are egg hoarding?

2 hours ago, SpecialEd said:

Yes! And what's with the sudden rush to buy guns?? I really don't understand the whole toilet paper and egg thing, either, as diarrhea is not a COVID symptom, and there appear to be as many eggs in our local markets as anyone could hope for. The Sam's Club/Costco thing is another mystery. Customers packing themselves together ("virus? what virus?") and swinging at each other over parking spaces. Fuck that.

This is a snapshot of what happens when societal norms begin to shift. The stupid begin to eat each other. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Pauly said:

This is a snapshot of what happens when societal norms begin to shift. The stupid begin to eat each other. 

Another good reason to shelter in place. I'm sure there will be many books written about this time in history, and I will be the first to read all of them. For now: lock the doors and watch the madness unfold . . .

6 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Any guesses on when Ohio gets the shelter in place order.  I'm guessing in the next day or 2.

I suspect today. Hope it is tomorrow though so I can pick up my mounted tires from Sills.

5 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Any guesses on when Ohio gets the shelter in place order.  I'm guessing in the next day or 2.

Couldn't be far from now. Check out DeWine's press briefing tomorrow on NPR's Cleveland affiliate WCPN. He, his staff, and Dr. Acton usually are on around noon. I'm sure we will get word from him very soon that the remainder of the school year is cancelled as well. There is no state testing for the kids this year, and, at least in my district, no grades being computed for the current semester. Also, parents are being given the option for their kids to repeat their current grade next year.

I have gone to the store the last few days and noticed the TP was gone. Kinda laugh at these people hoarding. We buy the large packages of TP from Costco so we don't have to go to the store. Well, I had to check to see our inventory since it seems to be a very valuable commodity. Based on our usage we ONLY have a 16 week supply of TP. I better get to Walmart early when the trucks arrive......LOL. I noticed Giant Eagle is allowing 60+ year old people to shop an hour early. Wonder if we need to get up early, anyone know if they are checking ID's. Out of everything people can hoard, the ignorant choose TP.......OMG. I have been in these paper production plants, there are virtually no workers involved in the process of making TP, round the clock forever. The hoarders will be very surprised when they find out the shelves are full in a couple weeks and stay stocked forever. When the CV curve flattens the hoarders will discover they have a couple years supply of TP. 

Aaaand....the race is on--less than 32 hours for the panicked hoarders to buy everything that isn't nailed down!

There's the old saying that it's an ill wind that blows no good.  The last two days, I've been walking the dog in the parks here in Hamilton County.  I've seen more families--moms and dads, grandma and grandpa, kids, toddlers, tots in strollers, the family dog--all together on the trails.  I hope this might be a little sign that something good will come out of this crisis.

11 minutes ago, what said:

Gonna be ordering some delivery that will last me a few days so I don't have to dip into my stockpile.

Lasagna sounds good.

Stay at home order in full: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6816974/Ohio-Stay-at-Home-order.pdf

Thanks for the hyperlink. The ohio.gov server is currently overwhelmed. I don't know how you got this, but we appreciate it.

Edited by SpecialEd

44 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Aaaand....the race is on--less than 32 hours for the panicked hoarders to buy everything that isn't nailed down!

There's the old saying that it's an ill wind that blows no good.  The last two days, I've been walking the dog in the parks here in Hamilton County.  I've seen more families--moms and dads, grandma and grandpa, kids, toddlers, tots in strollers, the family dog--all together on the trails.  I hope this might be a little sign that something good will come out of this crisis.

I walk each day in our local parks, and have also noticed this. There are barely any places to park your vehicle. People are skeeved out from staying indoors; going stir-crazy--and I am, too.