Mini prepping. (Covid-19 thread)

Tonik

4 minutes ago, Pauly said:

YIKES! 

Top theories on how it _really_ happened: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/coronavirus-china-bat-patent-conspiracy-theory-942416/

Kinda leaning toward the SImpsons caused it myself. But that's just me.

😎 The Simpsons predicted the coronavirus
Because The Simpsons has been on the air for more than 30 years, there’s been no shortage of elaborate plotlines for internet sleuths to point to as harbingers for various world events, to the degree that “The Simpsons predicted it” is now more of a meme than anything else. Case in point: screengrabs allegedly from the 1993 episode “Marge in Chains” about an outbreak of a mysterious illness, with one appearing to show a newscaster delivering a report about a “corona virus.”

8 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

Be careful about vetting sources of information. This article was, at best, skeletal, and "Weaselzippers" doesn't appear to be a credible site.

At this point I think the credibility of weaselzippersis on par with CNN.  Not a compliment for either.

Just now, Strictly Street said:

Just pointing out the wealth of dis-information on the subject

There is certainly plenty of that around! I have found Mike DeWine's daily press conferences to be a calming and reliable source of the status of the disease. Neither he nor Dr. Acton sugar-coat anything. They are honest about it when they don't know the answer to something, and promptly follow up so that the question(s) can be answered on a timely basis. I have been ignoring the rest of the media's coverage of this scourge--too much hype and sensationalism. Everything is for sale in America--including the truth.

2 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

At this point I think the credibility of weaselzippersis on par with CNN.  Not a compliment for either.

I used to like CNN back in the 80s and 90s, but they have become sensationalist and gossipy over the years. This may have happened because of their tenuous financial situation. Also, the ads are not only excessive, they are purposely placed so that one cannot read stories before dealing with them. The CDC and NPR do a marvelous job providing credible, honest research and updates.

• Upvote 1

On 3/20/2020 at 11:52 AM, Pauly said:

Not all THC is consumed through a blunt.

That is funny, if it weren't sad. My 12 year old niece has a very painful bone disease that is alleviated immensly with weed. 

Facts. I have spent my entire life dealing with migraines that would knock me on my ass for 2-3 days at a time. Zero medicines tried over 10 years worked but guess what does? Tinctures and edibles have literally changed my life 100% for the better. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mr.Gym10 said:

Facts. I have spent my entire life dealing with migraines that would knock me on my ass for 2-3 days at a time. Zero medicines tried over 10 years worked but guess what does? Tinctures and edibles have literally changed my life 100% for the better. 

Personally, I don't partake, but do think it's way past the time when weed and its derivative products are no longer vilified. The fact is that it works for many, and this just can't (and shouldn't) be ignored.

Don't matter of it works or helps anyone really. There is no reason for it to be illegal. I believe it helps people just saying that is irrelevant.

We, allegedly, live in a country where you can do whatever you want as long as there isn't harm in doing so.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I believe it helps people just saying that is irrelevant.

Can you explain more clearly what you mean here? Do you mean that my saying that it helps people is irrelevant?

9 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

Can you explain more clearly what you mean here? Do you mean that my saying that it helps people is irrelevant?

No I mean it helping people is irrelevant to whether it should be legal. There is nothing wrong with it, so it should be legal.

That's what I thought you meant.

I have absoluely no problems at all with people using weed and derivitives for any reason, but realize that, just like alcoholic drinks, there are and always will be those who, for various reasons, vilify the use of both booze and weed. I drink a fair amount of liquor every day before dinner, and couldn't care less about what others think. So yes, I agree that there need be no justifications for the use of either one. I was simply pointing out that there are many people who either fail to acknowledge the benefits of weed or are ignorant of its medicinal properties.

By extension, I also agree that in our country anything goes (or should go) as long as nobody is negatively affected. I can walk out my back door into the yard with my .45 and shoot targets legally all day long--and some people here do that. There are likely those who are my neighbors who hate guns just cuz they hate guns. I get that, too. Fine with me.

3 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

I thought medicinal weed was mostly nonsense.  But it solved my GFs vertigo in minutes after the prescription meds didn't do a damn thing.

More evidence that weed is medicine in exactly the same sense that all other medications are medicine. If it works, it works. Pretending weed is somehow inherently evil is assinine--but it's also just a gratuitous assertion which can (and should) be equally as gratuitously denied.

I'm thrilled this stuff is working for your SO. Another tool in the box for the medical profession.

11 minutes ago, Tonik said:

This is epic.

Wow.

I know there will be books authored about this epic and unprecedented time period in American history after it's over. The response from the general public in the US reminds me of what happened here post-911: there are so many people offering to help others in so many ways. This is what America is all about. When a challenge arises, we show our true colors and take care of each other.

Health departments have great latitude in what they can do if they declare a public health crisis. For example Ohio put off an entire election using that method.

Sorry for your loss man. They don't want travelers that is clear based on the roads they closed. No easy way in from the north now.

9 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Health departments have great latitude in what they can do if they declare a public health crisis. For example Ohio put off an entire election using that method.

Sorry for your loss man. They don't want travelers that is clear based on the roads they closed. No easy way in from the north now.

All of this is for our benefit and safety; the state of Ohio has nothing to gain monetarily from inconveniencing its citizenry. It's pretty cool that we have competent politicians who have our best interests at heart. All bets are off at this point. We dropped off food at our local food bank, and there were several other people there doing the same thing. We are in survival mode for the next few months.

1 minute ago, Howabusa said:

Our healthcare is based on profit! We don’t have enough empty beds because it is not profitable!

This will not change very soon, as health care has been monetized for a long time now. I doubt any politician will succeed in creating single payer healthcare in my lifetime, but this is the right thing for our country to do (I am 64, BTW.) As everyone knows, we are the only industrialized nation without universal health care; I find this embarrassing, personally, as an American. I am paying $1,200 per month for my and my wife's health insurance until I start taking Social Security, Medicare, and one of my two pensions this coming November. Both of us are very physically active, eat right, and get plenty of sleep--no medical issues. The key to getting efficient nationalized health care is to start taking care of ourselves so that there are few individuals whose illnesses tax the system. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, SpecialEd said:

I have found Mike DeWine's daily press conferences to be a calming and reliable source of the status of the disease. Neither he nor Dr. Acton sugar-coat anything.

Honestly I find them infuriating. They talk about everyone being home together. Preventing spread and being safe. Who are they talking about. Most of us are living in a different world. Are the folks at gas stations, grocery stores, ups,usps,fedex and factories immune to covid-19? As other states shut down big business we here in Ohio are ramping up. Pennsylvania has also shut down manufacturing now. In there 30hr period given to close our sister plant churned out over 60 truckloads of raw material to our Ohio plant that will push us to 24/7 operation. Corporate lawyers already preparing arguments to side step any Ohio shut down. They’ve already managed it in California. My wife works in hospital administration and has been working 13hr days 6 days a week. Healthcare workers connected to non-essential procedures are being strung along as well. Offered work 2 days a week so after paying for insurance and such barley bringing home a pay check and preventing them collecting unemployment. This is cheaper for hospitals than filling open jobs with permanent staff and letting others just stay home. It also puts many more at risk. The positive case numbers are a joke. Locally folks that are very sick are tested for flue and other illness and if they are negative there assumed to have covid-19 and sent home. Testing is only being done if you’re sick enough to require hospitalization. The whole thing seems to be a shit show. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Killer_kaw said:

Honestly I find them infuriating. They talk about everyone being home together. Preventing spread and being safe. Who are they talking about. Most of us are living in a different world. Are the folks at gas stations, grocery stores, ups,usps,fedex and factories immune to covid-19? As other states shut down big business we here in Ohio are ramping up. Pennsylvania has also shut down manufacturing now. In there 30hr period given to close our sister plant churned out over 60 truckloads of raw material to our Ohio plant that will push us to 24/7 operation. Corporate lawyers already preparing arguments to side step any Ohio shut down. They’ve already managed it in California. My wife works in hospital administration and has been working 13hr days 6 days a week. Healthcare workers connected to non-essential procedures are being strung along as well. Offered work 2 days a week so after paying for insurance and such barley bringing home a pay check and preventing them collecting unemployment. This is cheaper for hospitals than filling open jobs with permanent staff and letting others just stay home. It also puts many more at risk. The positive case numbers are a joke. Locally folks that are very sick are tested for flue and other illness and if they are negative there assumed to have covid-19 and sent home. Testing is only being done if you’re sick enough to require hospitalization. The whole thing seems to be a shit show. 

I do see the irony in what you are saying, and your wife's schedule is completely ridiculous. You are correct, of course, that this is probably the worst shit show the world has experienced since the deadly flu epidemic in the early 1900s. As a public employee (I am a teacher), students are our customers, and the nearly nationwide shutdown of American schools has forced almost all of us to work from home, including the students. As you might imagine, I was very relieved when this happened. Being exposed daily to hundreds of juveniles who have not yet developed concern for their own health, not to mention the consequences of spreading disease to others, and are basically incapable of "seeing the big picture" is a recipe for health disasters. 

Gary, I don't disagree with any of what you say in this post. I was simply tacitly acknowledging the shitty situation we all find ourselves in and expressing my opinion of those who seem to be extra helpful in guiding us through this thing safely and sanely. I do wish we all could stay home, but of course this is not at all possible. All that's left is to do our level best to stay healthy and not take any unnecessary chances which may cause us to be exposed to this ugly scourge.

If DeWine makes your blood boil, I can only imagine what Trump's ham-handed blundering in the face of this crisis must do to you. How ironic that we have probably the world's biggest narcissist in charge of the world's most powerful country filled with people who are starving for reassurance, truth, and a steady hand.