Mini prepping. (Covid-19 thread)

Tonik

26 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Every time I get annoyed that I'm still having to go into the office I think of my friends that have lost their jobs already. Makes me feel a bit better.

Then I remember my boss is working from home and then I'm mad again.

1 minute ago, TimTheAzn said:

Every time I get annoyed that I'm still having to go into the office I think of my friends that have lost their jobs already. Makes me feel a bit better.

I'm not mad at all, just found this funny. I'm glad to still be working. Little jealous of the ones sitting at home collecting the pay but it is what it is. 

19 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

If you are capable of performing your job duties from home, then your boss is a cunt. 

19 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Medicine is essential. How is this funny?

Just found it funny because in less than a decade we went from "it's illegal you will go to jail" to "it's essential" no problems with that just struck me funny. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, motocat12 said:

Smoked medicine during a respiratory epidemic?

Not all THC is consumed through a blunt.

4 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Just found it funny because in less than a decade we went from "it's illegal you will go to jail" to "it's essential" no problems with that just struck me funny. 

That is funny, if it weren't sad. My 12 year old niece has a very painful bone disease that is alleviated immensly with weed. 

Edited by Pauly

1 hour ago, Pauly said:

If you are capable of performing your job duties from home, then your boss is a cunt. 

I am. And I agree.

Idk how I went from being able to manage large 12 international datacenters remotely to managing one thats smaller than 1/6 of 1 of the aforementioned datacenters and I can only get 2 days a week at home starting next week.

That among other reason is why I'm trying to leave this place. It's just not what I'm looking for in a place where I want to stay for 10+ years. 

• Like 2

They should see if weed is the cure. If everyone who uses doesn't get sick then we all need it. Or maybe Cocaine is the answer, speed it up and open the veins.

This is madness. 

If it would stop raining and warm up a little I would feel better. The bike path is flooded, the gyms are closed, ice cream shop closed (no where else worth walking too), most stores in the mall are closed and the yard is to wet to work in.

So...old guy here in the high-risk age group just vegging at home adhering to the social distancing guidelines when the ancient, dusty memory of a kids jingle we used to sing on the school bus to torture the poor driver popped into my head as a didactic metaphor describing the situation we find ourselves in.  If you're as old as me, you'll remember it:

"There was an old lady who swallowed a fly.  I don't know why she swallowed a fly.  Perhaps she'll die.

"There was an old lady who swallowed a spider that wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside 'er.  She swallowed the spider to catch the fly, but I don't know why she swallowed the fly.  Perhaps she'll die.

"There was an old lady who swallowed a bird.  She swallowed the bird to catch the spider...."   on ad nauseum, ad infinitum, until she actually dies.  Great little kid's ditty!

So, we find ourselves in a world-wide pandemic that began as an isolated case of a novel virus from a relatively small city in rural China and rapidly progressed to country-wide lockdowns in Italy, Spain, Ireland, France, Germany, Poland, Denmark, Australia, New Zealand, El Salvadore, and likely soon to include the US with increasingly draconian measures that threaten not just the world's economy but the social fabric of the human race....

...ALL BECAUSE SOME DAMN CHINAMAN ATE A BAT!

To quote the infamous line from The Big Lebowski "This is what happens, Larry...."

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bubba said:

So...old guy here in the high-risk age group just vegging at home adhering to the social distancing guidelines when the ancient, dusty memory of a kids jingle we used to sing on the school bus to torture the poor driver popped into my head as a didactic metaphor describing the situation we find ourselves in.  If you're as old as me, you'll remember it:

"There was an old lady who swallowed a fly.  I don't know why she swallowed a fly.  Perhaps she'll die.

"There was an old lady who swallowed a spider that wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside 'er.  She swallowed the spider to catch the fly, but I don't know why she swallowed the fly.  Perhaps she'll die.

"There was an old lady who swallowed a bird.  She swallowed the bird to catch the spider...."   on ad nauseum, ad infinitum, until she actually dies.  Great little kid's ditty!

So, we find ourselves in a world-wide pandemic that began as an isolated case of a novel virus from a relatively small city in rural China and rapidly progressed to country-wide lockdowns in Italy, Spain, Ireland, France, Germany, Poland, Denmark, Australia, New Zealand, El Salvadore, and likely soon to include the US with increasingly draconian measures that threaten not just the world's economy but the social fabric of the human race....

...ALL BECAUSE SOME DAMN CHINAMAN ATE A BAT!

To quote the infamous line from The Big Lebowski "This is what happens, Larry...."

Aren't you the guy who recently retired from building UFOs at NASA?

6 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

Aren't you the guy who recently retired from building UFOs at NASA?

Ssshhhh!  They'll hear us.

Sorry.  Did I misuse the word 'draconian'??

Edited by Bubba

We're still working, cause you know, Mission First ©, but we've implemented minimum manning. Which means I get the next two weeks off. As long as we can still cross state borders, my riding co-worker and I are treating it like a vacation and will social distance ourselves down in the Smokies in a couple weeks as long as the weather is decent.

The Air Force put a mileage limit on us until further notice, so my Philippines trip is cancelled. Which sucks. I've got a Filipina girlfriend over there....

• Upvote 1

On 3/19/2020 at 8:53 PM, NinjaDoc said:

As of now information is less and ever evolving. 

without sticking to current statistics and ratio I will give an imaginary scenario 

island with 100 people

Let’s say covid can Infect about 60 of them easy- we can never say who it’s going to infect

of the 60 infected 30 will be okay can walk around spreading more 20 sick stay home 5 will need hospital and 5 icu. 

and in this island there is only one ventilator 

all that we are trying to do is to slow Down the rate of transmission to a point that the 5 that will show up for the vent shows up over a period of 5 to 10 weeks instead of all coming together in 1-5 days which means almost all dead. 

And the only way to achieve this is by slowing down the initial infection, and the subsequent spread from the infected. 

Even if a person with virus inside is not actively coughing and sneezing his oral nasal mucosa and saliva mucus secretions etc still can shed virus which at present seems to be pretty contagious. 

many young people who have the virus and can continue functioning will continue to have fun roam around touch everything and once a little old Lady is at the right place and the right time Will end up with a wrong fate 

This didn't help either: https://www.weaselzippers.us/445796-taiwan-says-it-warned-who-about-coronavirus-in-december-but-its-warnings-were-ignored

Good information is very helpful bad info is not.

No wonder people didn't take this seriously until it was a little late.

The powers that be told us all was well, no need to panic, so we didn't .

Now... Everybody PANIC!!!

<sarcasm>New at 11pm! Gunfight at Walmart! SWAT team called in to protect the toilet paper! Film at 11!!!!! </sarcasm>

5 minutes ago, Strictly Street said:

This didn't help either: https://www.weaselzippers.us/445796-taiwan-says-it-warned-who-about-coronavirus-in-december-but-its-warnings-were-ignored

Good information is very helpful bad info is not.

No wonder people didn't take this seriously until it was a little late.

The powers that be told us all was well, no need to panic, so we didn't .

Now... Everybody PANIC!!!

<sarcasm>New at 11pm! Gunfight at Walmart! SWAT team called in to protect the toilet paper! Film at 11!!!!! </sarcasm>

Be careful about vetting sources of information. This article was, at best, skeletal, and "Weaselzippers" doesn't appear to be a credible site.