Mini prepping. (Covid-19 thread)

Tonik

The big 3 shut down and Honda?

I think this will save the auto industry. It was going to crash soon (my opinion). "Americans are more than three months behind on their loan payments. Some owe much more than the asset is actually worth. And many of those loans are “subprime,” taken out by borrowers with poor credit."

https://fortune.com/2020/01/16/car-loans-default-us-economy-subprime-dangers/

I left a job last year because we were automotive and disolved 700 jobs due to low production needs. The stocks in Fiat, Federal-mogul, and others dropped every week.

The virus is an excuse and a good one to slow production. But, I think a layoff will follow due to lack of work when it is over.

Well the Mrs. got reassigned to a phone answering gig at Ohio Health's Covid-19 Command Center  in Dublin. Right now handling scheduling and canceling of appointments, screenings and elective procedures. Ohio Health is canceling everything till the first of June and she assisting patients with those things. Once that phone traffic subsides from that she will switch over to their call in hotline to answer questions and info line for the Covid-19 shit. I'm glad she getting hours and not per say on the front line. But she's more than willing to do that too if needed though. 

Edited by 2talltim
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Just sitting here waiting for the national guard to show up at this month's food distribution at the cleveland food bank...

The National Guard having trouble getting food?

10 minutes ago, Tonik said:

The National Guard having trouble getting food?

Times are hard for almost everyone these days, and the National Guard doesn't pay very well. Free food is good for morale.

I still don't get it. The number sick vs population. I get closing early, limiting some events but I think we are going to far. It has been a week, so in another week we should see the potential peak, right?

33 minutes ago, snot said:

I still don't get it. The number sick vs population. I get closing early, limiting some events but I think we are going to far. It has been a week, so in another week we should see the potential peak, right?

Problem with the disease is healthy people are still functional and most asymptotic to just mild flu like symptoms which could just be mistaken as allergies that are common these times. So just assume all non essential interaction are not worth it, as in you are either receiving it or transmitting it without even knowing. 

C97DC706-67F3-4A04-8BD7-A43E70AE3759.jpeg

But, isn't that the same with most illnesses? Like flu, cold, strep...

And do we wait for everyone to get it before we can reopen everything? Or just another week? 

They are allowing minor crimes without arrest or jail. 

@NinjaDoc Please explain this: "Now, the call is for EMS personnel to reuse their PPE." This was on our local news from our health department.

Cross contamination between patients with other more serious diseases is a huge risk... Hep B, C, A, Hiv... 

I appreciate all the info you are giving us. It does help.

Edited by snot

50 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

Problem with the disease is healthy people are still functional and most asymptotic to just mild flu like symptoms which could just be mistaken as allergies that are common these times. So just assume all non essential interaction are not worth it, as in you are either receiving it or transmitting it without even knowing. 

If they are healthy people.. how is it transmittinging without coughs and sneezes? Just not following handwashing process and sharing surfaces?

Edited by motocat12
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, snot said:

But, isn't that the same with most illnesses? Like flu, cold, strep...

And do we wait for everyone to get it before we can reopen everything? Or just another week? 

They are allowing minor crimes without arrest or jail. 

But unlike the flu, its killing or hospitalizing older people and people with other semi common conditions or particularly respiratory issues at rates much higher than the flu or whatever we're used to (I've seen numbers like 20-30% and more for really old folks?!).  This is over loading the health system and that means they can't respond to normal medical issues that arise whether or not there is a pandemic going on.

• Upvote 1

As of now information is less and ever evolving. 

without sticking to current statistics and ratio I will give an imaginary scenario 

island with 100 people

Let’s say covid can Infect about 60 of them easy- we can never say who it’s going to infect

of the 60 infected 30 will be okay can walk around spreading more 20 sick stay home 5 will need hospital and 5 icu. 

and in this island there is only one ventilator 

all that we are trying to do is to slow Down the rate of transmission to a point that the 5 that will show up for the vent shows up over a period of 5 to 10 weeks instead of all coming together in 1-5 days which means almost all dead. 

And the only way to achieve this is by slowing down the initial infection, and the subsequent spread from the infected. 

Even if a person with virus inside is not actively coughing and sneezing his oral nasal mucosa and saliva mucus secretions etc still can shed virus which at present seems to be pretty contagious. 

many young people who have the virus and can continue functioning will continue to have fun roam around touch everything and once a little old Lady is at the right place and the right time Will end up with a wrong fate