Mini prepping. (Covid-19 thread)

Tonik

19 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Might be time to see if you can get a plane from Rio to the US. Airlines are going to shut down and even if they don't we are almost certainly going to close our borders.

Unless there is a favorable location to "ride" this out for the next 2 or 3 months, I'd look at flights before you can't :dunno:

Apparently C-19 is a cure for cancer. My wife was just told they probably going to stop all mammogram screenings until further notice. For those that don't that's what she does. There goes her pay check. Her bosses are in a meeting about it as we speak. 

Edited by 2talltim

2 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Rite Aid is the only liquor store in Knox county this is this morning... :lol: 

Capture.JPG.3c341136416f2f677cbbcfef3ca6fa03.JPG

Probably people desperately looking for supplies who didn't go out last week or the week before to stock up. 

2 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Apparently C-19 is a cure for cancer. My wife was just told they probably going to stop all mammogram screenings until further notice. For those that don't that's what she does. There goes her pay check. Her bosses are in a meeting about it as we speak. 

This is going to be a tough next few months for most people. Things will come back once this blows by but I'm expecting a worse hit to the economy than the housing bust in 2008 in the short term. If I still have a job in a few weeks I will be surprised. 

14 minutes ago, what said:

Probably people desperately looking for supplies who didn't go out last week or the week before to stock up. 

I thought this too but it's the only store in town that's that busy. I stopped and bought some Rum there Saturday and checked the TP and Sanitizer isle while I was there and they were already cleaned out too. So yeah bars are closed and mount vernon is a blue collar town. I bet the liquor shelves are bare there now. 

1 minute ago, 2talltim said:

I thought this too but it's the only store in town that's that busy. I stopped and bought some Rum there Saturday and checked the TP and Sanitizer isle while I was there and they were already cleaned out too. So yeah bars are closed and mount vernon is a blue collar town. I bet the liquor shelves are bare there now. 

I'll bet bars would be willing to sell some of their on hand stock at retail prices, or even distributors. 

I seem to always have an absurd amount of bourbon on hand 

1 hour ago, Steve Butters said:

Finally allowed to work remote... Until further notice 👍🏻

After all this passes.  I wonder if working from home will become more common.

Some companies have had much success with remote employees, others are reluctant to give employees a remote option.  The trend has been up and down.

I've worked from home for the past 15 years and would prefer to never work in an office again.

Edited by Tpoppa

44 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

After all this passes.  I wonder if working from home will become more common.

Some companies have had much success with remote employees, others are reluctant to give employees a remote option.  The trend has been up and down.

I've worked from home for the past 15 years and would prefer to never work in an office again.

My job is one that can be done from home 100% of the time. My company is just against remote work for some unknown reason. We have plenty of executives who work remote, but mainly because we just wanted the talent and that's what it took to get them. Local people they make it much harder. I'm really not sure why. I hope this will be a positive exercise to show them it can work.

My first conference call of the day today and half the people couldn't dial in because the firmwide conference line is too bogged down from all the phone meetings.... So, not off to a good start.

** I also already had remote capability, and am allowed to work remote 3 days per month whenever I wish. They just don't like to make formal arrangements. It's really puzzling in 2020 when so many companies offer perks like that. We're also packed in our buildings and fighting for space... Yet they still won't let people work remote full time.

Edited by Steve Butters

21 minutes ago, Steve Butters said:

My job is one that can be done from home 100% of the time. My company is just against remote work for some unknown reason. We have plenty of executives who work remote, but mainly because we just wanted the talent and that's what it took to get them. Local people they make it much harder. I'm really not sure why. I hope this will be a positive exercise to show them it can work.

My first conference call of the day today and half the people couldn't dial in because the firmwide conference line is too bogged down from all the phone meetings.... So, not off to a good start.

** I also already had remote capability, and am allowed to work remote 3 days per month whenever I wish. They just don't like to make formal arrangements. It's really puzzling in 2020 when so many companies offer perks like that. We're also packed in our buildings and fighting for space... Yet they still won't let people work remote full time.

The current buzzword against remote employees is "collaboration."  It's nonsense.

In a closed door meeting, the CEO of my last company (ADP 50,000 employees) literally said to his inner circle exec douchebags that they were moving away from remote EEs because they wanted to move away from the older, higher paid (many remote) employees and hire more young, low-wage millennials...but millennials don't have the same work ethic and cant be trusted to work from home. 

Shortly after a "Voluntary" early retirement package to everyone over a certain age.  Most took it, many of those that didn't were laid off within the next 6 months.  

Durk and I will likely be working from home the rest of this school year, if I read Mike DeWine correctly. It's not difficult, but ensuring the students are actually doing course work while at home is.

My wife, an IT manager, has been on the same job for twenty years, yet her bosses (two brothers who own the company) will not trust her to work remotely. However, they told all the employees that if they don't feel well, they don't have to come in to the office. How generous.

55 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Hotels closing means I don't have a place to live when I work. Should be interestng. 

This is having a trickle down effect on me as an owner of a construction company...I have a brand new Hyatt Hotel scheduled to build in the next few months that is now on hold and two huge remodels of a Crown Plaza and a Holiday Inn that are now on hold. Without these projects it is going to be hard to pay the 75+ employees that I have.