Track Day Newb

ksands22

So this year I have decided to start doing some track days. I've read a lot of the information posted here under Typical Track Day Q&A and plan to do a couple of days between Nelson's Ledges and PIRC.

My question is would be beneficial to do one of the Race Schools this year at either track or just stick to the regular track days? 

I've raced MX/Flat Track/TT since 99 but definitely not taking for granted the difference on riding on a track for the first time. 

I do not see a benefit for race school at this point if you are just getting into track days. All race school is, is going over procedures and rules for racing. Not technique or coaching. Strictly rules and procedures.

I'd do a couple track days first, get your bearings. If you feel the need for additional coaching after that there are numerous programs for that. Such as N2's ATP course (https://www.n2td.org/atp/) or stepping it up a notch price-wise YCRS (https://ridelikeachampion.com/) (well worth it).

Some organizations won't let you do race school until you're in intermediate anyway.

Edited by TimTheAzn
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ksands22 said:

Thanks for the info. I've looked at the YCRS and it's a little more than I have budgeted to spend right now but looks very good. I will look into the N2 ATP Course. 

The way that works is you find a weekend that we are running it, and then you purchase the track day and then ATP on top. I get a lot of questions about that all the time.

YCRS also has a single day class as well that is cheaper than the 2 day. N2 members get a discount on YCRS as well.