Triple Nickel 2/28

Katoom

Looking at taking a ride from Columbus area through Perry State Park to the Triple Nickel South to Little Hocking, then back via any route we decide. Having never done the route, looking for info on how wise this route would be. Likelihood of ice, etc. Supposed to be a high of 32 that day, but I am riding heated gear, and haven't had a long ride in WAY too long. This ride to work just isn't scratching the itch. 

02/03/2020 the Wife and I rode the area and I can give you our road conditions report.

555 from Ringgold (555/78) south to Chesterhill (555/377) is broken asphalt with cold patch repairs.

555 South of Chesterhill down to Cutler (555/Veto rd.)  Great shape.

Just south of Chesterhill (555/676) 676 east to Watertown: Great shape.

144 out of Hockingport/Coolville northbound is great up to Stewart then 329 to Amesville: Great shape.

377 McConnelsville south to Amesville: Great Shape.

Route 550 great shape.

Edited by B-Mac

Sorry, was thinking more along the lines of areas that are frequented by ice/standing water, etc. It is supposed to rain up through tomorrow with a chance of snow following. With a high of 32 on Friday, I am guessing it will most likely be pretty cold and likely to have ice in areas where trees cover the road all day. (experience from my time in Oregon) Is this typically an issue along the above roads, or is the road generally open to the sun?

555 is a GREAT road if you like a very technical route. Lots of twists, turns, hills, and hollows. More blind curves than most people like. I love the southern end (which has lots of them).

There are very few places where water will sit thanks to all the elevation changes. But all of those hollows mean that you will have quite a few curves that pass through shaded areas that will not see any sun till late in the day. So with 20's in the evening and then only getting up to 32, I'd be very concerned about icy spots. Also, if we get the snow they're predicting for Friday - at least here in WV, then ODOT will be out spreading sand. Out in the country they put it just in the critical spots - which can be surprising. That would not be fun at all.

If you want to get out Friday, I'd stick to the 4 lanes like 33, 50, then 23 back to C'bus. Unless those roads also have a coating of sand and salt...

Spring is on the way!

• Upvote 1

Slow your roll youngster. There will be a good time to hit the Nickle mid season. Early in the year isn't it. Its dirty, slick, water seepage and just a mess. Ease into the season. Do some local roads your familiar with and knock the cob webs off. Seen plenty over enthusiastic folk go out too early on the twisties and get burnt. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, with the ice and snow we have today, looks like Sunday may be a better day for a ride. Should have time for traffic to push most of the nasty off the road from today and tomorrow.

Thank you for the heads up on the possible nasty spots @Shoop.

@2talltim, I ride a 1290SAR with heavily worn 50/50 tires currently, there will be no "spirited riding" until I get a set of new tires on the bike. This is planned as an exploring trip, not a go fast trip. Thank you for the warning though.

• Beer 1

I took my bike out when it was in the upper 30s about a month or two ago. The ride was awesome, except for one 20' section of 62 that was "wet" and in the shade. Let's just say it wasn't as wet as it was water in solid form. I have no idea how I stayed upright, but that ride turned on me. It started out awesome and then I realized it was just a dumb idea. I got lucky and I learned some things. 

16 minutes ago, Pauly said:

I took my bike out when it was in the upper 30s about a month or two ago. The ride was awesome, except for one 20' section of 62 that was "wet" and in the shade. Let's just say it wasn't as wet as it was water in solid form. I have no idea how I stayed upright, but that ride turned on me. It started out awesome and then I realized it was just a dumb idea. I got lucky and I learned some things. 

That new rider aids are sweet?

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

That new rider aids are sweet?

You would think so, but I looked at the software once I got home and neither the ABS or traction control were triggered during the ice capades. My phone logs ride data from the bike's computer and it only showed ABS activation during an emergency stop in SugarCreek. 

53 minutes ago, Pauly said:

You would think so, but I looked at the software once I got home and neither the ABS or traction control were triggered during the ice capades. My phone logs ride data from the bike's computer and it only showed ABS activation during an emergency stop in SugarCreek. 

When you started to slide I would bet you were smart enough to be throttle neutral and not on the brakes.

Since you didn't fuck it up the bike didn't need to save you.

53 minutes ago, Tonik said:

When you started to slide I would bet you were smart enough to be throttle neutral and not on the brakes.

Since you didn't fuck it up the bike didn't need to save you.

Yeah, I basically did nothing except try to do nothing. I did have time to think "I JUST bought this damn bike..." as I was fishtailing towards an 18-wheeler. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pauly said:

Yeah, I basically did nothing except try to do nothing. I did have time to think "I JUST bought this damn bike..." as I was fishtailing towards an 18-wheeler. 

By nothing, do you mean you maintained same throttle position or did you roll off? If I remember correctly Code says that in a slide you are to maintain throttle. Correct me if I’m wrong. I know when things get scary for me my natural instinct kicks in and I roll off, unless it happens so fast I do nothing. 

56 minutes ago, durk said:

By nothing, do you mean you maintained same throttle position or did you roll off? If I remember correctly Code says that in a slide you are to maintain throttle. Correct me if I’m wrong. I know when things get scary for me my natural instinct kicks in and I roll off, unless it happens so fast I do nothing. 

Maintain. If you don't the rear could hook back up too soon and you may high side. If you roll off it has to be extreamly gradual. Better not to.  Keep your body wherever it is. If you are leaning off stay there, and be lose on the bike. Let it find its own way. It is smarter than you are. Avoid counter steering too, the natural track of the bike is already counter steering. If you add any it is too much.

Everyone should start or do some time in the dirt to learn what it feels like.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, durk said:

I wish I could tell you for certain, but I will assume total closing of the throttle.. but it really didn't matter. I wasn't sliding on rain or sand. I was on an ice rink at 50 mph... on two wheels. The bike was essentially trying to highside my dumb ass, but I used to be a cowboy in a former life. I really do think the low cg of the bike is what kept me upright. That and knowing full well the worst thing I could do was touch either brake. I did the right stuff, but a different bike may have resulted in a different outcome. 

34 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Maintain. If you don't the rear could hook back up too soon and you may high side. If you roll off it has to be extreamly gradual. Better not to.  Keep your body wherever it is. If you are leaning off stay there, and be lose on the bike. Let it find its own way. It is smarter than you are. Avoid counter steering too, the natural track of the bike is already counter steering. If you add any it is too much.

Everyone should start or do some time in the dirt to learn what it feels like.

One very big difference between dirt riders and street riders is the cg of the motorcycle and rider, as a whole. Street riders rarely stand, but doing so actually lowers your body weight from saddle to pegs. 200lbs 3' off the ground is considerably less stable than 1' off the ground... especially on a slippery surface. A lot of videos I see of these giant BMWs off road really grind away about standing on the pegs. The bike is already balanced incredibly well. Standing helps keep that cg low. The rider aids just make it that much easier, supposedly. I have yet to really tackle anything gnarly enough to require electronics.. but the hill hold gizmo was nice to have. I was able to relax and assess the terrain before making a very wobbly transition from dirt to pavement. The bike is smarter than other bikes I have ridden. You two should ride it this season. I want to ride the Goldwing down 800 and see how the other half live. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Pauly said:

You two should ride it this season. I want to ride the Goldwing down 800 and see how the other half live.

I notice you didn’t mention your desire to ride the torture rack. 

Last time I chopped the throttle when I started spinning the rear this happened.

Happened really fast. Coming through a right-hander, started to feed on the gas while still leaned over. All of a sudden I notice my RPM's jumping up but I'm not going anywhere. Chopped. Got flung 6ft+ into the air. Coughed up blood for 3-4 days afterward.

Fun!

EF6A383E-C0D0-4A38-AFE3-187CF37FBEAF.png

Whoever said pull in the clutch, don't do that either. That'll definitely fuck you all up.

Edited by TimTheAzn

44 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Last time I chopped the throttle when I started spinning the rear this happened.

Happened really fast. Coming through a right-hander, started to feed on the gas while still leaned over. All of a sudden I notice my RPM's jumping up but I'm not going anywhere. Chopped. Got flung 6ft+ into the air. Coughed up blood for 3-4 days afterward.

Fun!

EF6A383E-C0D0-4A38-AFE3-187CF37FBEAF.png

Whoever said pull in the clutch, don't do that either. That'll definitely fuck you all up.

Ouch.

I had the rear kick out on me a couple of years ago on 170 when the road was a little damp and I rolled off the throttle. I don’t think I aggressively chopped it but definitely rolled out of it. I got a kick as the bike stood up vertically,  but thankfully I didn’t get thrown. I know what I’m supposed to do but making my body do that instead of the survival reaction is my issue.

8 minutes ago, durk said:

Ouch.

I had the rear kick out on me a couple of years ago on 170 when the road was a little damp and I rolled off the throttle. I don’t think I aggressively chopped it but definitely rolled out of it. I got a kick as the bike stood up vertically,  but thankfully I didn’t get thrown. I know what I’m supposed to do but making my body do that instead of the survival reaction is my issue.

It happens so fast, given I was riding on track and trying to go as fast as I could given the conditions. But that's what happens when I'm riding a 170hp liter bike on a rear slick on a damp/drying track with 2 rivers flowing across it. My buddy highsided in the same place on the same day.... he's on here but I wont mention any names :).

Edited by TimTheAzn