Jump to content
Tpoppa

Would you own a classic bike?

Recommended Posts

There a few that I've considered buying, but then common sense kicks in and I talk myself out of it.

Is it worthwhile to own a cool classic bike from the 60s, 70s, or 80s?...or is it too much of a PITA to deal with carbs, old electrics, and leaky for seals? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a heartbeat if I had the space, soon I will. Blast around town, maybe to work and so on. Classic bikes, cars....are cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

There a few that I've considered buying, but then common sense kicks in and I talk myself out of it.

Is it worthwhile to own a cool classic bike from the 60s, 70s, or 80s?...or is it too much of a PITA to deal with carbs, old electrics, and leaky for seals? 

I like and enjoy wrenching on bikes, but I think there is a line in there where I no way have the temperament to do any kinda resto on early 80s or 60s or whatever. Guys that do it are crazy for punishment but do have my respect.. Mbe if one was fully updated/restored already.... (naw).... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always liked the 1st Gen goldwing gl1000.  Specifically original naked versions.  They are reliable and powerful for their day....but carbs...

 

86695263_865074807285464_9199261310225743872_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guy at the school district had one of those in red with gold trim. Was cool as hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have my car from the 80's and have been lusting for a bike from the late 70's to mid 80's.  Just haven't found the right one yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

I've always liked the 1st Gen goldwing gl1000.  Specifically original naked versions.  They are reliable and powerful for their day....but carbs...

 

86695263_865074807285464_9199261310225743872_n.jpg

I owned an '83 1100 version of that bike for 4 years before the Valkyrie bug got me.... (gotta find a pic)....  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well not sure how old A bike your thinking of but if it’s something with a strong following it sure helps. I currently have two 20plus year old bikes in my garage being redone. Both ZRX’s so not that old but carbs, old electronics, dated suspension, odd tire sizes and finding parts make it interesting sometimes. Luckily there is a awesome forum dedicated to these bikes. Handful of members are machinists and make and sell some very nice replacement parts and mods. Also tons of info to help if you do your own wrench work. Hell I’d probably have a few more old bikes if I had the room and money. Fun hobby and a chance to really make something your own. I also love wrestling these old, heavy,loud,gasoline stinking bikes on the twisty roads. Not half the bike my tracer is but there’s something about a bike that is simple and very mechanical feeling that’s a lot of fun. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The gl1000s were nice reliable bikes, and parts shouldn't be hard to find.  It could be a fun bike to ride and tinker with.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to believe my 2001 retro Bonneville will turn 20 next year. I bought it new in March 2001. My favorite Triumph is (I've owned 5) is my 2nd a 1970 TR6C. I would love to have one. However they aren't cheap $10,000 plus. I think a project using a 2001-2005 Bonneville and making it look like the TR6C would make more since and be much easier to maintain. To answer the question yes I would

70 TR6C left.JPG

70 TR6C right.jpg

2001 Bonnie left.jpg

2001 Bonnie right.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had my 73 cb750 since 2006. In that time I've taken the motor out and made it stupid fast, upgraded electronics, suspension, brakes etc. Its a bad ass vintage machine that does 100 in 3rd gear. 

 

Haven't rode it in 2 years because well, I have a nice new sport bike with rider aids, fuel injection and water cooling and way more power. 

 

But that old Honda has never stranded me, and pretty much anything that goes wrong that isnt a catastrophic engine failure can be fixed with a 10mm and a screwdriver. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love having old VW's, but man, cars are a PITA to work on. Bikes are so much easier. Sometimes I think about getting rid of the old cars and just playing with old bikes, but old bikes don't really give me a boner like old cars do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 9:37 PM, MSerfozo said:

I had a '76 RD400 for a while.  I have a soft spot for those old 2 smokes.

My first real street bike was a 77 RD400. I too have a soft spot for 2 smokes and have owned several.  As much as I used to hate pulling 4 carbs,  4 or 6 or 8x to get things right it seems less annoying now. Mellowing in my old age.  Classic M/C are indeed very cool and when ridden, deliver a measure of visceral enjoyment modern bikes can't match...  

DSCN3298.jpeg

DSCN3297.jpeg

DSCN3720.jpeg

  • Beer 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to collect every old bike i can . Only thing that sucks about them is the lb’s & braking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 11:22 PM, Killer_kaw said:

Well not sure how old A bike your thinking of but if it’s something with a strong following it sure helps. I currently have two 20plus year old bikes in my garage being redone. Both ZRX’s so not that old but carbs, old electronics, dated suspension, odd tire sizes and finding parts make it interesting sometimes. Luckily there is a awesome forum dedicated to these bikes. Handful of members are machinists and make and sell some very nice replacement parts and mods. Also tons of info to help if you do your own wrench work. Hell I’d probably have a few more old bikes if I had the room and money. Fun hobby and a chance to really make something your own. I also love wrestling these old, heavy,loud,gasoline stinking bikes on the twisty roads. Not half the bike my tracer is but there’s something about a bike that is simple and very mechanical feeling that’s a lot of fun. 
 

I have a Greg Couch fork brace for the ZRX. Black anodized and never used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too many more modern bikes that I don't own yet before I would entertain something like this.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought about a retro bike and I owned bikes in the 70's & 80's. I recently rode some 70's bikes and forgot how bad the brakes, suspension and power was back then. NO THANKS! If I wanted a retro bike I would buy the new Kawasaki Z900 bike with a water cooled engine, ABS, etc, all the modern technology with the retro look. I believe of all the retro bikes out today Kaw did the best job with the total package, it stirs memories of the original Kaw KZ900 looks with the best of today's technology.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2020 at 7:13 PM, ricer1 said:

I thought about a retro bike and I owned bikes in the 70's & 80's. I recently rode some 70's bikes and forgot how bad the brakes, suspension and power was back then. NO THANKS! If I wanted a retro bike I would buy the new Kawasaki Z900 bike with a water cooled engine, ABS, etc, all the modern technology with the retro look. I believe of all the retro bikes out today Kaw did the best job with the total package, it stirs memories of the original Kaw KZ900 looks with the best of today's technology.    

Yeah, it's a great bike, but you should hear the z1 purists trash it because it's not ancient technology. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 8:55 PM, mello dude said:

I owned an '83 1100 version of that bike for 4 years before the Valkyrie bug got me.... (gotta find a pic)....  

 

 

Took me awhile, but I stumbled on my old goldwing standard pics..... 

GWStandard-X2.jpg

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...