Would you own a classic bike?

Tpoppa

There a few that I've considered buying, but then common sense kicks in and I talk myself out of it.

Is it worthwhile to own a cool classic bike from the 60s, 70s, or 80s?...or is it too much of a PITA to deal with carbs, old electrics, and leaky for seals? 

2 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

There a few that I've considered buying, but then common sense kicks in and I talk myself out of it.

Is it worthwhile to own a cool classic bike from the 60s, 70s, or 80s?...or is it too much of a PITA to deal with carbs, old electrics, and leaky for seals? 

I like and enjoy wrenching on bikes, but I think there is a line in there where I no way have the temperament to do any kinda resto on early 80s or 60s or whatever. Guys that do it are crazy for punishment but do have my respect.. Mbe if one was fully updated/restored already.... (naw).... 

2 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

I've always liked the 1st Gen goldwing gl1000.  Specifically original naked versions.  They are reliable and powerful for their day....but carbs...

86695263_865074807285464_9199261310225743872_n.jpg

I owned an '83 1100 version of that bike for 4 years before the Valkyrie bug got me.... (gotta find a pic)....  

Well not sure how old A bike your thinking of but if it’s something with a strong following it sure helps. I currently have two 20plus year old bikes in my garage being redone. Both ZRX’s so not that old but carbs, old electronics, dated suspension, odd tire sizes and finding parts make it interesting sometimes. Luckily there is a awesome forum dedicated to these bikes. Handful of members are machinists and make and sell some very nice replacement parts and mods. Also tons of info to help if you do your own wrench work. Hell I’d probably have a few more old bikes if I had the room and money. Fun hobby and a chance to really make something your own. I also love wrestling these old, heavy,loud,gasoline stinking bikes on the twisty roads. Not half the bike my tracer is but there’s something about a bike that is simple and very mechanical feeling that’s a lot of fun. 

It's hard to believe my 2001 retro Bonneville will turn 20 next year. I bought it new in March 2001. My favorite Triumph is (I've owned 5) is my 2nd a 1970 TR6C. I would love to have one. However they aren't cheap $10,000 plus. I think a project using a 2001-2005 Bonneville and making it look like the TR6C would make more since and be much easier to maintain. To answer the question yes I would

70 TR6C left.JPG

70 TR6C right.jpg

2001 Bonnie left.jpg

2001 Bonnie right.jpg

I've had my 73 cb750 since 2006. In that time I've taken the motor out and made it stupid fast, upgraded electronics, suspension, brakes etc. Its a bad ass vintage machine that does 100 in 3rd gear. 

Haven't rode it in 2 years because well, I have a nice new sport bike with rider aids, fuel injection and water cooling and way more power. 

But that old Honda has never stranded me, and pretty much anything that goes wrong that isnt a catastrophic engine failure can be fixed with a 10mm and a screwdriver. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2020 at 9:37 PM, MSerfozo said:

I had a '76 RD400 for a while.  I have a soft spot for those old 2 smokes.

My first real street bike was a 77 RD400. I too have a soft spot for 2 smokes and have owned several.  As much as I used to hate pulling 4 carbs,  4 or 6 or 8x to get things right it seems less annoying now. Mellowing in my old age.  Classic M/C are indeed very cool and when ridden, deliver a measure of visceral enjoyment modern bikes can't match...  

DSCN3298.jpeg

DSCN3297.jpeg

DSCN3720.jpeg

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 3

On 2/21/2020 at 11:22 PM, Killer_kaw said:

Well not sure how old A bike your thinking of but if it’s something with a strong following it sure helps. I currently have two 20plus year old bikes in my garage being redone. Both ZRX’s so not that old but carbs, old electronics, dated suspension, odd tire sizes and finding parts make it interesting sometimes. Luckily there is a awesome forum dedicated to these bikes. Handful of members are machinists and make and sell some very nice replacement parts and mods. Also tons of info to help if you do your own wrench work. Hell I’d probably have a few more old bikes if I had the room and money. Fun hobby and a chance to really make something your own. I also love wrestling these old, heavy,loud,gasoline stinking bikes on the twisty roads. Not half the bike my tracer is but there’s something about a bike that is simple and very mechanical feeling that’s a lot of fun. 

I have a Greg Couch fork brace for the ZRX. Black anodized and never used.

I thought about a retro bike and I owned bikes in the 70's & 80's. I recently rode some 70's bikes and forgot how bad the brakes, suspension and power was back then. NO THANKS! If I wanted a retro bike I would buy the new Kawasaki Z900 bike with a water cooled engine, ABS, etc, all the modern technology with the retro look. I believe of all the retro bikes out today Kaw did the best job with the total package, it stirs memories of the original Kaw KZ900 looks with the best of today's technology.    

• Upvote 1

On 3/5/2020 at 7:13 PM, ricer1 said:

I thought about a retro bike and I owned bikes in the 70's & 80's. I recently rode some 70's bikes and forgot how bad the brakes, suspension and power was back then. NO THANKS! If I wanted a retro bike I would buy the new Kawasaki Z900 bike with a water cooled engine, ABS, etc, all the modern technology with the retro look. I believe of all the retro bikes out today Kaw did the best job with the total package, it stirs memories of the original Kaw KZ900 looks with the best of today's technology.    

Yeah, it's a great bike, but you should hear the z1 purists trash it because it's not ancient technology. 

On 2/21/2020 at 8:55 PM, mello dude said:

I owned an '83 1100 version of that bike for 4 years before the Valkyrie bug got me.... (gotta find a pic)....  

Took me awhile, but I stumbled on my old goldwing standard pics..... 

GWStandard-X2.jpg

• Upvote 2