New Year = New Bike

JustinNck1

Fuck yes! on sticking with red. It's like you "leveled-up", more so than changed bikes. 

Also, please extol the virtues of this machine over the IronButt Icon FJR. I have almost zero miles on a Wing and less than 10 on a late-gen FJR. I can wholly accept @Tonik's euphoria switching from the Voyager... great bike, but hardly a competitive tourer against bikes like these. Their range and suspension alone TKO the Voyager from the gate. Is it THAT much better than the FJR, too? 

Edited by Pauly

28 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Fuck yes! on sticking with red. It's like you "leveled-up", more so than changed bikes. 

Also, please extol the virtues of this machine over the IronButt Icon FJR. I have almost zero miles on a Wing and less than 10 on a late-gen FJR. I can wholly accept @Tonik's euphoria switching from the Voyager... great bike, but hardly a competitive tourer against bikes like these. Their range and suspension alone TKO the Voyager from the gate. Is it THAT much better than the FJR, too? 

The big difference for me is out of the box comfort. The FJR takes some accessories and custom seat to get real all day comfort. The wing is head and shoulders above the FJR on two-up riding, which was the main reason for buying it. I feel like I can wheel the wing just as quick as the FJR once I get some more miles logged.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

The wing is head and shoulders above the FJR on two-up riding, which was the main reason for buying it. I feel like I can wheel the wing just as quick as the FJR once I get some more miles logged.

The GW and the GTL1600 are really in a class of their own for 2 up riding at a beyond-cruiser pace.

5 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

The big difference for me is out of the box comfort. The FJR takes some accessories and custom seat to get real all day comfort. The wing is head and shoulders above the FJR on two-up riding, which was the main reason for buying it. I feel like I can wheel the wing just as quick as the FJR once I get some more miles logged.

No doubt. Jim got quick. You will, too. 

5 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

The GW and the GTL1600 are really in a class of their own for 2 up riding at a beyond-cruiser pace.

Shit.. even the RT is a very good 2-up mile muncher in stock configuration. You just have to spend $25-30,000 to get that up front. Or... you can piece meal it a bit at a time with a $15,000 bike and hope "good enough" holds true. 

Congrats on the new ride. 👍 

I’ve been looking at new wings but not sure I’m ready to change.   I have somewhere around 73k or 75k on mine now and it’s set up for exactly how we want it.

Who knows, maybe In a few years....

11 hours ago, Pauly said:

No doubt. Jim got quick. You will, too. 

Shit.. even the RT is a very good 2-up mile muncher in stock configuration. You just have to spend $25-30,000 to get that up front. Or... you can piece meal it a bit at a time with a $15,000 bike and hope "good enough" holds true. 

That’s what I love about the bike I got, I’m in it for only $15k.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Pauly said:

I came really close to buying an RT.  Really, all the 2014+ BMW water cooled boxers are fantastic motorcycles.  The R1200R with all the touring farkles, just checked my boxes a little better than the RT, RS, or GS.  Plus I just like roadster style naked bikes.

If 2 up touring was a big consideration, I'd have a hard time deciding between the GW or 1600GTL...really can't go wrong though.

22 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

That’s what I love about the bike I got, I’m in it for only $15k.

Nice work. Smart move. I snagged the GS for $18k, which is the only reason it is in my garage. I found one identical to Jim's for $18k, but she says the Voyager is perfect for her needs.. and that is why I own it. I can be happy on anything.. except a FZ6. 

9 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

I came really close to buying an RT.  Really, all the 2014+ BMW water cooled boxers are fantastic motorcycles.  The R1200R with all the touring farkles, just checked my boxes a little better than the RT, RS, or GS.  Plus I just like roadster style naked bikes.

If 2 up touring was a big consideration, I'd have a hard time deciding between the GW or 1600GTL...really can't go wrong though.

I love the engine in mine. It is not blistering fast, but it is far from slow. Plus, that "brap, brap,... fart" from the exhaust makes me laugh every time. 

I like the RT, but your bike looks better. I think you made the right choice. The BMW GTL is an attractive machine, but if I am losing the boxer.. I would go with the Goldwing. The boxer is the best part of my GS, but that is the top item in a very long list of "likes". 

• 2 weeks later...