Jump to content
Tonik

Today's work day.

Recommended Posts

The vats are 92000 gallons each of fermenting mash. They have 24 of them. The warehouses store 60,000 barrels...250 bottles per barrel. So ball park 500 million bottles of bourbon aging currently.

They dry the used mash grain and sell it for cattle feed. The proceeds from that pay every salary in the company.

On that table are some of the finest and rarest bourbons made. We got to hang with their head blender/taster. He liked us so much that he got out some seriously rare stuff at the end.

Epic day.

MVIMG_20200206_085632.jpg

MVIMG_20200206_091413.jpg

IMG_20200206_092714.jpg

IMG_20200206_093337.jpg

IMG_20200206_095234.jpg

IMG_20200206_100853.jpg

IMG_20200206_100725.jpg

IMG_20200206_102311.jpg

IMG_20200206_102610.jpg

IMG_20200206_111155.jpg

IMG_20200206_115721.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me the most interesting thing was that when they put it in the barrel they don't really know what it will be. They have a general idea of the family it will be in but until the aging starts to kick in it could be Trace or it could be Eagle Rare.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Tonik said:

For me the most interesting thing was that when they put it in the barrel they don't really know what it will be. They have a general idea of the family it will be in but until the aging starts to kick in it could be Trace or it could be Eagle Rare.

Did they say why this is? Interesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's on my list of things to do, hit the bourbon trail. Love me some Blanton's...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RidersDiscount said:

It's on my list of things to do, hit the bourbon trail. Love me some Blanton's...

Had that today. Saw them bottling it. Those are bottled by hand.

The on site store will bum you out. Not a lot of stock. Federal law says they can only sell through traditional distribution. So the distillery sells to the distributor and then their store buys it back.

They don't even own the store, they can't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I met Abraham Lincoln today in ORD. I know you do not care, but it fits your Kentucky Fried Whiskey thread, so I figured I would contribute. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Had that today. Saw them bottling it. Those are bottled by hand.

The on site store will bum you out. Not a lot of stock. Federal law says they can only sell through traditional distribution. So the distillery sells to the distributor and then their store buys it back.

They don't even own the store, they can't.

Not an easy find these days but I always have one on the shelf at the house. Glad you enjoyed your time there!  I need to plan a trip this summer/fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wealthy, single brother is into pricey bourbon big time. I can't imagine consuming this grade of liquor as a daily after work libation. Too freaking expensive. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SpecialEd said:

My wealthy, single brother is into pricey bourbon big time. I can't imagine consuming this grade of liquor as a daily after work libation. Too freaking expensive. 

It's all relative to how much you make.. I watched my kid order a 900 dollar bottle after the tasting. I bet  Bill Gates would never order such sub par bourbon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tonik said:

It's all relative to how much you make.. I watched my kid order a 900 dollar bottle after the tasting. I bet  Bill Gates would never order such sub par bourbon.

I once read Bill Gates dropping $300k is the equivalent of the average American purchasing a postage stamp. And that was at least 10yrs ago. I have a hard time even comprehending that much money lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeff Bezos makes $2500/second... as of May 2019, that is. I am sure it has increased since then. 

Edited by Pauly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Pauly said:

Jeff Bezos makes $2500/second... as of May 2019, that is. I am sure it has increased since then. 

🤯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bourbon trail is cool. We've done it twice. Once in the car and once on the bikes. Get the little stamp passport book and when you get it stamped at all the distilleries  you get a free t shirt. 

Edited by 2talltim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I was in college, I worked part-time for what was then the only distillery in Pennsylvania, Michter's Distillery. I managed the wastewater treatment plant (did testing and reported to the PA DEP). It was great income for a college chemistry student.  AND, my senior research project was to develop test methods to compare their product to JD. Taste testing was not officially involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomberger's_Distillery

This article doesn't mention one of the distillery's favorite claims to fame. They had a 1777 invoice for sale of whiskey to George Washington's bursar while the troops were at Valley Forge. 

The still building and the warehouse are gone now. The only remaining building is the jug house that is still on the registry of historic places.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×