how far to work is too far...

serpentracer

so how far would you be willing to travel every day 2 times a day 5 days a week for a perfect house?

I found one in my price range that I can't get out of my head.  the problem is it's 58 mins away from my job.  it has a 64x42 workshop with living quarters. offic, full bath, kitchen, livingroom.  I could run a shop out of it like the old owner who painted cars there.  it's so Fing cool.   but I already drive 48 mins and it's killing me.  my company pays for my gas but their van gets 12mpg so they just let me fill my truck up to compensate me since everyone else lives closer and gets to take the van home.   

I don't even care about the house lol   I just want the garage.    

I'm seriously considering putting an offer on this place even though it's so far away.  who else would do it?

0734dd56-fa39-4dae-824a-91379ea1c280.jpg

Edited by serpentracer

I made the same choice... After about 3yrs the drive never got better and I was never really satisfied... If the drive is "killing" you then don't move further. There will be other houses. I used to commute almost 2hr each way to live in the house we loved. Eventually it wore on me hardcore. 

23 hours ago, motocat12 said:

Drive 5 miles past your work /house and back each day this week for time to think about how it feels.

it's more than 5 miles past where I live. the miles from work to that place is 55. 

where I live now to work is 34. however because the highways are always backed up it does take me 60 mins to get to work most of the time.   where that other place is is way out on 2 lane roads.  hence why google maps says it's 1 hr 4 mins.  and I have to drive way out of the way because theres no straight path to work from there.  I want to live there because its way out in the country.  I don't have to listen to assholes car stereos, their annoying kids, I can make all the noise I want without bugging anyone, I have a place for a trailer(even indoors), lots of room for cars, bikes, my RC planes.   and to kick it all off, I can get in there for under $1k a month.  it's only $129,000

http://home-for-sale-cincinnati.ownerland.com/idx/details/listing/a079/1634133/7544-Fenner-Lane

here's my drive though,

map.png

so I took a ride out to this place today.   I can see why it's been up for sale for 5 1/2 months.  first of all the owner is letting a construction co use the garage and they have it a mess. excavating and dump trucks have the driveway all torn up.  other equipment all over the property.  the one garage door has been smashed into with something big. I'm going to assume they have the interior a mess as well now.    I noticed at the driveway going into the garage there is a drain going under the road to the property across the street.  it literally has about 3 feet of standing water in the yard.  so there is some kind of drainage issue going on.  the pipe comes over into the property for sale.  and there is a large 4foot diameter black pipe sticking up out of the ground about a foot.  I assume its full of water. 

then the roof of the house has been patched 20 times by someone that doesnt know how to install metal roofing.  some of it is lifting up at the gutters.  the ridge of the gable has a significant dip in it.  so it has some kind of structure issues in the attic. I'm sure it's a modular home now looking that close.  the deck outside the rear door has a tarp over it for some reason.  the front of the house there is now a large propane tank which wasn't there when the realtor took the pics. 

on the county auditor site the property shows the house has it's own address and so does the garage.  so I'm sure there's some kind of extra property tax shit going on.  it shows the annual taxes for each place is 1180 a year. so I figure double that is what I'll pay.  which is about the norm everywhere else. 

there is a about a 12'x12' billboard erected with poles in the property too advertising state farm insurance. it's a significant structure with lighting on it.  meant to be permanent.   now, I wouldn't mind letting it stay if I got paid for it.  a half page add in a reach magazine is 1200 a month.  i figure that billboard is worth at least $3000 a month.  if they want to pay me they can leave it.  then I will have a free place to live.    

there's a reason the place has been for sale for so long.   I also noticed the realtor took pics of a fully stocked kitchen. well if you read the listing closer it doesn't come with anything in the garage or the refrigerators.  the owners seem scammy to me.  

I'll get my realtor to ask about the billboard,  if they pay me what I want for it then I'll take the house since I can pay the mortgage with the billboard money.  

Edited by serpentracer

I used to commute 55 minutes one way for 6 years. I didn't mind it because it was in the opposite way of traffic and all highway. It didn't hurt that it was a company truck with paid for gas I was using to commute

someone beat me to it.   

now i got my eye on this,  look at this monster garage lol

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5145-Murray-Corner-Rd-Fayetteville-OH-45118/91952114_zpid/

I just don't really want a project right away. the house looks like a modular home and kind of run down.  I don't mind fixing things as I do a lot of construction type jobs anyway but when you have to move into something tore up it's a pain in the ass.  I want to move in and settle for a while. the first thing i'd do is replace all carpet.  right off the bat that's a few grand. 

Edited by serpentracer