Tuesday, Jan 14 Ride

Pauly

11 minutes ago, Pauly said:

55⁰ forecasted. Anybody feel like riding?

I'm not sure how far I'll go but I will certainly take both bikes out for 30 minutes or so to knock the dust off.  The GSXS needs a bath from a wrong turn onto a dirt road.

Edited by Wojo72
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, what said:

Would be fun but still don't have the title/plates for the bike I bought in October. 😐 

Also work. 😐 

Didn’t you buy your bike from a dealer? They should have sent you a title by now. 

34 minutes ago, durk said:

Didn’t you buy your bike from a dealer? They should have sent you a title by now. 

Yeah, they should have. Last I heard is they sent in the papers to the DMV on 12/27. 2.5 months after date of purchase 😐

I got my passport sent to me in 1/3 the time lol. 

Edited by what

Home. 260 of the easiest miles I have ever done on 800. The bike has the best road manners of anything I have ever ridden and it is quick in the corners. It feels as light as the Hyper and that is not an exaggeration. The display is really intuitive and I pretty much have the hang of all the switches and gizmos. I kept it in "ROAD" (touring) most of the day, but did slip into "DYNAMIC" (sport) for a stint. Throttle response got sharper, but I was on really nice pavement, so the suspension just got a little firmer. I didn't notice much difference between the two modes regarding damping. I will play some more when the road gets choppy and see how it does. I ride it in the "MINIMUM" setting for preload, so it is probably hindered a little. If I put it in "MAXIMUM"....I can't touch the ground. Looks like I will have to grow into this one. 

I will ride again tomorrow. Probably taking a different route, but I hope to leave early enough to catch lunch in Weston, WV and be home by dark. I did this on the Hyper and it was 475 miles in 9 hours. So, 8-5 should be doable...probably 9-6. Any takers? I am willing to change it up for anyone that wants to ride. 

This was the first twisty ride and I am already 100% in the bag for this bike. It is very easy to ride quickly and it is just at home on the highway. Work trips this season will be quite a treat. Nothing quite like being paid to ride the Appalachians.

That said.... Anybody want a gently-used Hyperstrada? :lol:

Edited by Pauly
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Pauly said:

Home. 260 of the easiest miles I have ever done on 800. The bike has the best road manners of anything I have ever ridden and it is quick in the corners. It feels as light as the Hyper and that is not an exaggeration. The display is really intuitive and I pretty much have the hang of all the switches and gizmos. I kept it in "ROAD" (touring) most of the day, but did slip into "DYNAMIC" (sport) for a stint. Throttle response got sharper, but I was on really nice pavement, so the suspension just got a little firmer. I didn't notice much difference between the two modes regarding damping. I will play some more when the road gets choppy and see how it does. I ride it in the "MINIMUM" setting for preload, so it is probably hindered a little. If I put it in "MAXIMUM"....I can't touch the ground. Looks like I will have to grow into this one. 

I will ride again tomorrow. Probably taking a different route, but I hope to leave early enough to catch lunch in Weston, WV and be home by dark. I did this on the Hyper and it was 475 miles in 9 hours. So, 8-5 should be doable...probably 9-6. Any takers? I am willing to change it up for anyone that wants to ride. 

This was the first twisty ride and I am already 100% in the bag for this bike. It is very easy to ride quickly and it is just at home on the highway. Work trips this season will be quite a treat. Nothing quite like being paid to ride the Appalachians.

That said.... Anybody want a gently-used Hyperstrada? :lol:

So your old Mutli has finally been surpassed?

I'll rent the hyper for some weekends :D of dicking around in ohio.

46 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

So your old Mutli has finally been surpassed?

I'll rent the hyper for some weekends :D of dicking around in ohio.

The Multistrada was a solid ride, but it was still rather primitive in regards to long distance riding. This thing is surprisingly agile for being almost 200 lbs heavier. The Hyper is available to you whenever you want to ride it, Tim. 

• Like 1

I also did some light ADV'ing. In my wandering, I happened across a gravel road. I pondered for a few seconds.. "put up or shut up, Paul". I had already put the bike in "ENDURO" to soften the bumps on a road I was on earlier. Nothing left to do but stand up and turn left. I climbed a gravel hill that was almost half a mile long, with a 10% gradient. No flat at the top, either. Just a stop sign, intersecting paved 2-laner that was 4" of asphalt higher than my parked front tire. I thought the hill assist feature was sort of gimmicky and hadn't planned on using it. I was schooled today and was glad to have both of my feet on the ground. I had to change my line a few times because the gravel was loose in random spots. It was super easy stuff for any regular gravel rider, but I was a little nervous. It wasn't Machu Pichu, but it was the biggest gravel hill I ever climbed with intention of climbing it. 

14 hours ago, Pauly said:

I also did some light ADV'ing. In my wandering, I happened across a gravel road. I pondered for a few seconds.. "put up or shut up, Paul". I had already put the bike in "ENDURO" to soften the bumps on a road I was on earlier. Nothing left to do but stand up and turn left. I climbed a gravel hill that was almost half a mile long, with a 10% gradient. No flat at the top, either. Just a stop sign, intersecting paved 2-laner that was 4" of asphalt higher than my parked front tire. I thought the hill assist feature was sort of gimmicky and hadn't planned on using it. I was schooled today and was glad to have both of my feet on the ground. I had to change my line a few times because the gravel was loose in random spots. It was super easy stuff for any regular gravel rider, but I was a little nervous. It wasn't Machu Pichu, but it was the biggest gravel hill I ever climbed with intention of climbing it. 

After years of riding street and training yourself to avoid gravel, you kind of have to overcome that mental block to ride gravel roads.

I was surprise how quickly you can ride on gravel with proper technique and tires.  You can ride 50-60-70mph on gravel roads even around corners if you have reasonable line of sight. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

After years of riding street and training yourself to avoid gravel, you kind of have to overcome that mental block to ride gravel roads.

I was surprise how quickly you can ride on gravel with proper technique and tires.  You can ride 50-60-70mph on gravel roads even around corners if you have reasonable line of sight. 

That man choose a line down at the deals gap on his multi that was straight gravel while we chased down a Porsche and rode it out like a boss.

That man loves it. :lol:

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

I look forward to more time on less traveled paths. Yesterday was an amazing day..and the best parts were spent at 30 mph. 

10 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

That man choose a line down at the deals gap on his multi that was straight gravel while we chased down a Porsche and rode it out like a boss.

That man loves it. :lol:

That was the fastest line. There is no gravel if you do not see it. Lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pauly said:

I look forward to more time on less traveled paths. Yesterday was an amazing day..and the best parts were spent at 30 mph. 

That was the fastest line. There is no gravel if you do not see it. Lol

I saw it and I was 2 bike lengths behind you.

This is how it went in my head.

1. "Oh the Porsche is getting closer, we're gonna catch it!" 
  2. "Man, this is the fastest we've ridden all weekend!"
  3. "Shit, theres gravel smack dab in the middle of this lane in this corner. I'll take the inside line."
  4. "Did Pauly just ride through that shit? I think he rode through that shit."

A memory that I'll never forget was that 15 or so minutes of blitzing through the Gap area.

Edited by TimTheAzn
  • Beer 1

I rode around all day today and used half a tank of fuel. :lol: 

12 hours ago, Wahoo said:

Better be careful Pauly, if I recall correctly, that’s how Dan got hooked 😎

I am in love with this entire aspect of riding. Slow and scenic wins this week. 

49 minutes ago, Howabusa said:

Gravel is a mental game. I used to be afraid of it on the FJR. Anymore I just take my time and don’t do anything stupid.

I don't mind gravel unless going down a hill. I know how to descend a hill, but my brain just says "YOU WILL DIE!" 

32 minutes ago, Killer_kaw said:

Looks like you put down some good miles. I’m a little jelly. New bike looks nice and otta be a mile muncher. 

The way this thing eats miles is insane. I thought the Voyager was a good tourer. You definitely need to ride this thing.