New track bike

TMC Customs

Not a lot of conversation happening in this topic in the winter so I figured I would post my project. Picked up a ‘14 675R and am turning it into my track bike. Finding parts in stock for this thing is much harder than I thought it would be. Going to have to stock some spares. 

Kindof a shame to turn an immaculate bike bike into a track bike but also a shame if don’t use it for what is was designed to do. 

B88C2871-ECF0-4EDA-8A5C-769C953644BC.png

• Upvote 2

List of things I am working on installing

Hotbodies track fairings

Attack Performance Triple Clamp

Attack Performance bottom link

Attack Performance rear sets

WWB ceramic wheel bearings

Sato shifter spindle 

T-Rex racing full protection kit

A9030178-E813-4664-819F-9A9418D0A307.jpeg

C92A651B-17EE-40EA-BF91-59B3A1870047.jpeg

84C08140-00D2-44D2-BB31-0480E5939994.jpeg

Changed the fluid in the forks and was surprised how dirty it was. The bike barely has 3000 miles and the previous owner almost seemed scared of it so I don’t think it was ridden very hard. Oddly enough, the rebound side came out black and the compression side came out like brand new.  Definitely taught me to change my fork oil at least every season. 

5F1F87E2-CBD7-4B1E-AB0E-124487365A9E.jpeg

13 hours ago, jacobhawkins said:

I love my '14 675R.  Nothing wrong with turning a sportbike into a track only bike.  I tried to do double duty with mine, but after a year of swapping bodywork, full track for me.  Have fun!

I had intended to still use it on the street but the street plastics are so difficult to remove I can’t see spending that much time switching it back between track days. 

Got it all torn apart to install the triple clamps and the rear shock is off at Witchcraft Racing getting rebuilt and serviced. Anyone ever use Witchcraft?  Seems like they have a nice website and appears they backed the Honda East team for some time. 

Time to make a decision on tires and mounting. Mounting tires around here is expensive, $35 per wheel if they are already removed from the bike. I have been thinking of purchasing the tire changer from HF. Anyone change their own tires?

ACD9F04E-3E88-4C1F-B863-97F12691AAE8.jpeg

Struggling to link my post from another thread. I’ll try to figure it out, but I mount my own tires with no special tools at all. 

Edited by durk

For your entertainment:

hillbilly step 1 - hook ratchet straps to angle iron on the garage ceiling, attach ratchets to upper triple and lift front wheel 

Fg0QJGe.jpg

Step 2 - remove wheel

8qpdxig.jpg

step 3 - place wheel on 4x4s with carpet stapled to them and set them on the sturdy old card table stored in the garage 

eEtUSQ5.jpg

Step 4 - remove brake rotors and valve stem core

5M0AKgC.jpg

the best is yet to come

Step 5 - strategically back truck into garage so you have the right amount of clearance to place those wonderfully crafted padded 4x4s under the hitch so you can place your bead breaker and bar on your tire

c5f2nDS.jpg

Step 6 - use tire irons to remove tire

TjkQEwi.jpg

sTjyE4C.jpg

Step 7 - lube up new tire with soapy water and install using tire irons 

RxPJGjW.jpg

step 8 - take tire and 4x4s back to sturdy card table, reinsert core, air tire up to pressure, be sure bead sets, reinstall rotors

step 9 - install tire back on the bike and lower it back to the ground, ready to go riding 

ub3trga.jpg

Warning - step 5 requires a hillbilly engineering  degree 

• Like 1

Someone I know is doing a supersport build with his daytona 675. Great platform, wish I fit on them. 

I will say, when it comes time to get it tuned bring it to Jake at The Dyno Shop in Powell. Little bit of a drive for you but well worth it for his expertise. 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Motorsports-Store/The-Dyno-Shop-537307406746916/

Edited by what

With the amount of tires I go through in a track season, I'd shoot myself before I'd do that Hillbilly way. If I changed them once a season, then maybe.

You thinking of what tracks you're going to hit this year?

Fuck, that reminds me I need to buy new rubber.... Is there really an off-season for tracking your bike financially? damn.....

Edited by TimTheAzn

On 12/31/2019 at 5:07 PM, durk said:

Struggling to link my post from another thread. I’ll try to figure it out, but I mount my own tires with no special tools at all. 

I am definitely impressed by your ingenuity but I don’t think I will pursue that route.

On 1/1/2020 at 4:09 PM, what said:

Someone I know is doing a supersport build with his daytona 675. Great platform, wish I fit on them. 

I will say, when it comes time to get it tuned bring it to Jake at The Dyno Shop in Powell. Little bit of a drive for you but well worth it for his expertise. 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Motorsports-Store/The-Dyno-Shop-537307406746916/

I was hoping to use MCJ motor sports and I was able to get in touch with Mark but he never got back with me. Mainly I just wanted help with suspension and geometry this year. Once I change from the stock exhaust, I will have to get in touch with the Dyno Shop. 

19 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

With the amount of tires I go through in a track season, I'd shoot myself before I'd do that Hillbilly way. If I changed them once a season, then maybe.

You thinking of what tracks you're going to hit this year?

Fuck, that reminds me I need to buy new rubber.... Is there really an off-season for tracking your bike financially? damn.....

I am on the fence deciding what tires to try. Most on the triumph forums are going with either Pirelli Supercorsa SC or TD but last year I used the Michelin Power RS and they were great. The Michelin’s are definetly cheaper. 

18 hours ago, Pauly said:

I had a HF tire changer. Do yourself a solid and buy something more substantial. The frustration of the HF machine makes the NoMar worth the extra money. 

Dang it! I already pulled the trigger on the HF tire changer and no mar blocks. $60 for a tire changer so I figured I would give it a shot. I plan to get the no mar bar as well.   

1 minute ago, TMC Customs said:

I am on the fence deciding what tires to try. Most on the triumph forums are going with either Pirelli Supercorsa SC or TD but last year I used the Michelin Power RS and they were great. The Michelin’s are definetly cheaper. 

This bike doing double duty? Street and track?

Edit: NVM Dedicated track bike.

What group do your ride in?

Edited by TimTheAzn

3 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

This bike doing double duty? Street and track?

Edit: NVM Dedicated track bike.

What group do your ride in?

It actually will be pulling double duty at the beginning of the season. Last season I out my bike down and had to rebuild my thumb. The culprit was not throttle blipping so I am going to work on that on the street before going full track bike with it. I was just dumping the clutch and relying on the slipper to do the work. Some people say that’s ok, some say it’s a major no no. I am doubting the stock slipper on the 675r will slip enough for me to bang down gears and drop the clutch  

I ride in the advanced group but I plan to go back to intermediate until I get back up to speed. 

Love my Nomar! Had buyer remorse right after I bought it but after I broke it twice and Nomar sent me replacement parts without cost or questions I realized it's a tool for life and I'm now content with my purchase. Figure in another couple years I'll break even on my investment. 

54 minutes ago, TMC Customs said:

It actually will be pulling double duty at the beginning of the season. Last season I out my bike down and had to rebuild my thumb. The culprit was not throttle blipping so I am going to work on that on the street before going full track bike with it. I was just dumping the clutch and relying on the slipper to do the work. Some people say that’s ok, some say it’s a major no no. I am doubting the stock slipper on the 675r will slip enough for me to bang down gears and drop the clutch  

I ride in the advanced group but I plan to go back to intermediate until I get back up to speed. 

I'd use it as a safety net. Blipping is the way. Although the first time I rode a bike with a nice slipper I did drop gears and dump it on purpose just to see what it felt like (butter). 

Q4's never did me wrong street/track. The pirelli's have more grip but will wear faster.

2 hours ago, TMC Customs said:

Dang it! I already pulled the trigger on the HF tire changer and no mar blocks. $60 for a tire changer so I figured I would give it a shot. I plan to get the no mar bar as well.   

I originally bought the HF unit, and a NoMar bar like you did. I found the device wasn't strong enough to hold a wheel without gouging, scratching or just plain letting it fly. I did a couple tire sets and washed my hands of it. 

I have no idea what you are going to do with the NoMar dog blocks. They do not integrate with the changer. 

2 hours ago, Pauly said:

I originally bought the HF unit, and a NoMar bar like you did. I found the device wasn't strong enough to hold a wheel without gouging, scratching or just plain letting it fly. I did a couple tire sets and washed my hands of it. 

I have no idea what you are going to do with the NoMar dog blocks. They do not integrate with the changer. 

I actually purchased Mojo blocks, not sure why I called them no mar

• Upvote 1

Q4's were great when I had them on last year, but you wouldn't want to run them on the street as I doubt you'd get 1000 miles out of a rear. I got some Michelin Power RS's for the cost of a good lunch so I'll be giving them a shot this spring. I've run Dunlops for the last 5 years so not sure what to expect from the Michelins. 

As far as blipping goes, it depends on what kind of braking you're doing. The end of a long straight where you may be dropping 3 or 4 gears I generally brake, clutch in, and slowly count out the gear drops in my head as I get towards tip-in. I've got a downshift marker like I've got a braking marker - I make sure I'm at X gear by the time I hit the marker. I usually don't release the clutch between shifts when dropping multiple gears in one go. For quick downshifts I generally don't use the clutch anymore at all, just a quick blip. That's a preference thing though. 

• 2 months later...

I finished putting all the track goodies on, rebuilding the suspension, and changing the tires. I was debating just leaving it track only but with the ‘rona virus, I decided it would probably be best to prep it for the street. Doesn’t sound like track days are going to start on time this year, I hope they startup at some point. Here’s a time lapse video, sorry about the messy shop  

• Upvote 1