Starter Bike for Wife

Wojo72

I found a super low mileage  2012 Honda Rebel 250.  I'm tempted to pick it up and let my wife ride it for a season until she figures out  if she likes being on two wheels or not.  She likes cruisers so any kind of sport or naked bike is out.  

Options

1)  2012 Rebel.  $2000 obo ???  Not sure what I can get it for.

2) Look for something bigger that I wouldn't mind riding if she doesn't take to it.  Maybe a Shadow or Sportster or ???

3)  Say fuck her and save up for a Vmax.

Edited by Wojo72

5 minutes ago, Tonik said:

How big is she....dainty or kinda strong?

250 for weak and dainty. Shadow 750 if she is strongish. You can pick those up all day long for 2500.

Which makes me think that 250 is a bit high.

The 250 would be good from a weight perspective but I'm concerned that that the first time that the big bikes run away on a ride she will get pissed and go home.  :)

She's probably 5'7 and 120ish.

I must be looking in the wrong place.  I haven't seen any deals on the bigger shadows unless they are beat.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, snot said:

good luck. 

If she doesn't like it, have her try the ninja 250 or 300. 

I hated the heavy intruder and almost gave up on riding. Then, I got the 250 and fell in love.

If it were up to me I would have kept my FZ-07 and let her learn on that.  If she doesn't like it I'll ride it to work until I get sick of it and then list it on FB.

Late to the game here but thought I'd share my wifes bike progression over the years. ... She stared with a vstar 250 great for learning but once she had it down and knew what she was doing we quickly realize how anemic it was almost to dangerous levels and we made a mistake. The bike was just too light to be stable at speeds, or in any kind of cross wind it was all over the place. On the open road it didn't have enough power to get out of its own way. One time on a 4 lane(non interstate)she was attempting to over take a semi at maybe 65mph. She got beside the semi and stayed there, took a few miles to make the pass. I gave her hell at the net stop saying if that truck would have made a bad move or lost tire she would have been dead. Her reply made the decision to get rid of that turd. She said "I had it wide open" she hit the side draft off the truck and the bike just hit a wall. Around town this bike would be fine but anything over 45 mph i would strongly discourage it. 

She then went to a Honda VLX600, great bike pretty much bullet proof. 100lbs heavier than the 250 and almost twice the power. She rode that for several years. then she wanted a more all day bike to ride. One more for the hiway and open road so we went with the vstar 1100. It was a okay bike for her although "I" hated it. Really heavy for what it was carberated and air cooled, don't regret buying it but she wanted something different eventually. She now has here Indian Scout and WOW! what a bike. Lots of power, perfect size and comfort for her. That thing still impresses me. Can't think of a better bike for her now.

Overall she was too much in shock to react. I wrapped the keys up in a small box with a couple of Iron Pony T-shirts.  She was initially annoyed about the shirts but quickly found the keys.   I left the dealer tag on the ring so that she would know what it was.   We told her to go look in the garage.  I knew that she was confused because she asked me if I was going to sell my GSXS for the cruiser.  We will see how motivated she is to go get her permit.

kfbJEZ0WsAlxEtAiXaOQZmnQVEUbgjQC_OHcD22I-NcVohgegRGt64cXHhVbxt-0v7h2GhiPvJ_hLU6IDjtbeYJkztFmWFIcp3NcD2lm4lxiLg3q1aSSoYyPSnxCM_C8XjW869pptxOFdopap4xiR26N18BkjYE9WpB4m26C6gNcWBfrsinXzzgDcaQfXHdMe6eq7mLgi1jF1gcPbntyB8oxk86mTid91M2bcde95UZSqcJXP_7h_VXzXanDnG04Lrz8Diqd9hRugCnxHruV11ZE61CfieCPXHCRy0ZVV3qCmO1NYXSkPNY2gTMdWG_UxdWTVtZIQZqlxfJOS5ciolU9pe6aG3XKi-Y2Opfa_YlCJJWh_H6EO8HpJFWu32tYGhwYEO2MbBqY65VijENIK-Lpp5e63J5rPg7jFR4ksH1Nu6L2QHg-wGzAp4bm-pK5Wdifu6c6BtJjdCGxicasF3QvVESEfLspDSJbbZj52WwcprJjIhNxvyXYv5kN2dzr9V0OWKQT77ZZjLIs5rIFjwEDKzzy_rUHRlAWXBaQG4OvPozgjUUnQf_hyphql-IlFZosGPjudvL9Sje521pa67ZHBrQrunpJ_rpwmivjrp5rspVXuZ4ELxmv9n5Z-gr8c3lMOyyurZcyKWkHKmIYqFlcsVCKS4VFbOtc8WhCnBIcBma-AMJFoQ=w1292-h970-no

• Upvote 2