Investing 2020 Election Year???

Tpoppa

The crash in 08-09 was the best thing that ever happened to me. I worked the whole time so I had money to put to work. Made out pretty darn good. This time around I'm not working, and hard to part with cash reserves when the future is unknown. Tempting and if I land a gig soon I'll start averaging in some positions.

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

Crashes are temporary events that present more opportunity (upside) than bull markets.

You need the guts to pull the trigger when the sky is falling, and some dry powder ($ to invest).  

The more the market news is negative and the pundits are crying, the more I want to buy into the market. I think I probably missed this opportunity because the fear mongering has started to subside.

2 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

Crashes are temporary events that present more opportunity (upside) than bull markets.

You need the guts to pull the trigger when the sky is falling, and some dry powder ($ to invest).  

Or an automated algorithm that magnifies the crash in the first place

34 minutes ago, Muckles said:

The more the market news is negative and the pundits are crying, the more I want to buy into the market. I think I probably missed this opportunity because the fear mongering has started to subside.

I was watching for the bottom, and pulled the trigger of a few that I believe will prove wise.

There were other that will probably turn out great, but at time seemed too risky and I was skeert.

2 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

I was watching for the bottom, and pulled the trigger of a few that I believe will prove wise.

There were other that will probably turn out great, but at time seemed too risky and I was skeert.

Like you, I took about 1/4 to 1/3 of the cash reserves and bought into VGT.  Still holding some in the event of another drop.  Wanted more exposure to financials like Visa, MC, JPM.

Didn't call the bottom but still up from purchase.  I gotta believe, tho, that it's entirely possible and maybe likely that the "other shoe" will drop between now and Sept/Oct time frame.

As for a 3-5 year horizon, things will continue to go up....until the next pandemic/zombie apocalypse/nuclear Armageddon.

13 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Like you, I took about 1/4 to 1/3 of the cash reserves and bought into VGT.  Still holding some in the event of another drop.  Wanted more exposure to financials like Visa, MC, JPM.

Didn't call the bottom but still up from purchase.  I gotta believe, tho, that it's entirely possible and maybe likely that the "other shoe" will drop between now and Sept/Oct time frame.

As for a 3-5 year horizon, things will continue to go up....until the next pandemic/zombie apocalypse/nuclear Armageddon.

Look at you go, Bubs! You are a regular Carl Icahn, a-throwin' money hither and yon with abandon and rakin' it in. I'd like to be an arbitrageur, but I lack both the unlimited funds and brain power. What ever happened to all those day-traders, anyway? I remember a recently retired neighbor used to do it, but he lost his ass and his home. Another neighbor took all his retirement money and bought two Quiznos restaurants. No need to explain that this was an unholy disaster. He used to tell me the kids who made those shitty sammies made more money than he did--and I'm sure he wasn't lying. The restaurants, of course, are both gone--and I haven seen neither hide nor hair of the neighbor in the last ten years, so I would imaging he went where the rest of the direly unsuccessful dreamers go.

Edited by SpecialEd

3 hours ago, SpecialEd said:

Look at you go, Bubs! You are a regular Carl Icahn, a-throwin' money hither and yon with abandon and rakin' it in.

LOL.  You got me pegged, brother.  I espouse the base human qualities of greed and fear and prey on feeble old ladies by stealing their SS and pension money.

Seriously, I don't day trade--ever.  I'm a buy and hold guy that favors quality stocks that pay regular and increasing dividends, plus a relatively boring mix of low-cost broad-base MFs or ETFs.  I buy on the dips and sell when I need to generate cash.

I was kind'a unceremoniously pushed into early retirement in 2006, just 6 years after building my dream home on 10 acres.  Had planned to work for another 8-10 years, but that didn't play out quite like I thought.  Looked at my savings and IRA and made the decision to give up the dream of the yacht on the Riviera and drink cheap beer on the back deck, and it's worked through 2 major downturns over 14 years.  The market was pretty damn kind to investors from 2009 thru 2019, if they were willing to take on some risk.  I paid off my house as quickly as I could, making double principal payments from month 1.  Turned a 30 year mortgage into a 13 year mortgage.  Now, I earn more money in dividends than I need to live on so I donate to local charities and make sure my kids and grandkids have milk in the fridge.  Still live pretty close to the bone, but I have 3 motorcycles and a newish truck, I'm totally debt free, and go where I want when I want, and can't really think of anything more in the way of "things" to acquire or aspire to, other to stay healthy and keep on enjoying life.  Dad lived to 93, and I'm hoping to beat that mark!!!

I'm lucky in some ways, but I've created most of my luck and worked hard at doing the right things at the right time.  May you be as lucky and astute! :)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...