Anyone else order one?

Tonik

3 hours ago, 2talltim said:

This obviously depends on the the size of said burritos. We don't have enough info to form a hypothesis. If your going to ask such insane questions with out the information needed to answer them you can just remove yourself from our Burrito thread. 

Oh I know my average burrito consumption rate..... idk why, but I do. :lol:

1 hour ago, CBBaron said:

I think you are pessimistic. As the second vehicle used primarily for commute and errands they have been viable for several years already, if you have a home where you can install a charger. Just purchased a used BMW i3 this summer that fits that use and I am loving it. 

As a primary vehicle cars like the Model 3 are viable now though the infrastructure is barely there outside of EU and Cal. With 300 mile range thats 4 hrs on the highway. Many people seldom take trips that long, for those that do its less convenient on the trips but doable. For the rest of the time EVs are more convenient, as you dont stop to fuel, there's less maintenance and it costs less per mile. Plus quieter and often quicker. 

Cost parity is still a few years aways away but that i looking like less than 10 as Tesla's truck is very comparable to F150 despite it being ugly as sin. And its changing rapidly. In the last 18 months our office has went from 0 to 4 EVs in the parking lot (about 60 employees). That is in very EV unfriendly Ohio. States like PA, and CO are seeing much more. 

My office  is in LA and my manager has a BMW i3.  It's nice, but even in LA, the infrastructure is lacking.  There are charging stations in parking garages, but really not that many.

If a large portion of drivers we driving EVs how long would the wait be at a charging station?  Hours?  There are situation like apartments where charging at home isn't an option.

38 minutes ago, ricer1 said:

I agree with your statement that EV's will be mainstream viable in 7-10 years. I can't use a Tesla as a business vehicle due to the range. I drive to an account in Canada and it's a 320 miles away. I leave at 6:30AM and arrive before 11:30AM for lunch. During the winter the Tesla range will be reduced due to the cold, we can argue the amount, but let's say 10% (I have read 20%). I can't make it to my destination and I am not getting up earlier in the morning to save the planet and find a charging station, hoping nobody else is in line. EV's will take hold when the range gets to 500 miles (Less in the cold) because the number of components in an EV are way less than an ICE vehicle, reducing the cost of assembly. Also, EV's have to be produced by auto companies even if they don't make money because of government CAFE standards. Tesla has been in business for 16 years and hasn't come close to making a profit on an annual basis, they are no longer a start up. Tesla made money last quarter and sold less vehicles I will will be curious if they can continue making a profit in future quarters. 

See, the solid state battery that's being developed has no power loss due to operational temperature and range will be more than double (and as much as 5x) the current max range - going by what Goodenough and his team claims, and assuming they can actually get the thing into production anyway. 

Also, my BMP is pretty low. I think I can only get through 1 or so in that amount of time. I really do need to work on that. 

i love it, might get one in distant future. then again i am the odd one who loved the old versys and current nikken as well. I like functional out of ordinary designs.

This truck even though people make fun of it looks etc, i bet will grow on you. Because "looks" are subjective, its a thought process triggered in each persons brain based on years of social conditioning from opinion facts, imagery that been accumulated over the years. And that "looks" " design" thing keep changing slowly over decades. imagine releasing the new corvette design in 1980, there would have been a riot. 

As of now we are trained to think a truck "SHOULD" look like one way and it should have this shape to be strong and macho. But as time goes by the opinion is going to change about this truck. The marketing team would ensure that by slowly releasing videos and facts tied up to this that will condition out brain. like this truck tug of war destroying the classic "macho big rig trucks" or this huge truck obliterating smaller  sports cars in drag strips. and in couple of years,  As soon as we see this in person, the thought that will be triggered will be massive power speed and performance. 

hopefully this forum and this thread is alive in 2025 for us to revisit and for me to post a smiley face to say "i told you so" 

regarding infrastructure, its going to change and change fast. This is evolution no one can stop it. EV is on the way up / Gas is on the way down. Having said that 10 years seems like a reasonable estimate to be honest for them to comparable, as in someone to go buy a Ev without even thinking twice about worry of being stranded, location for charging and distance etc. Right now and in near future, its still viable and reasonable as long as little bit of planning and patience is involved. 

disclaimer:I  dont own EV / still love my gas guzzlers / not a fan boy of tesla/ just accepting the fact and proud of human evolution even though we gonna be extinct by our own progress/ regress/ and deeds in future. 

Edited by NinjaDoc

8 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

i love it, might get one in distant future. then again i am the odd one who loved the old versys and current nikken as well. I like functional out of ordinary designs.

This truck even though people make fun of it looks etc, i bet will grow on you. Because "looks" are subjective, its a thought process triggered in each persons brain based on years of social conditioning from opinion facts, imagery that been accumulated over the years. And that "looks" " design" thing keep changing slowly over decades. imagine releasing the new corvette design in 1980, there would have been a riot. 

As of now we are trained to think a truck "SHOULD" look like one way and it should have this shape to be strong and macho. But as time goes by the opinion is going to change about this truck. The marketing team would ensure that by slowly releasing videos and facts tied up to this that will condition out brain. like this truck tug of war destroying the classic "macho big rig trucks" or this huge truck obliterating smaller  sports cars in drag strips. and in couple of years,  As soon as we see this in person, the thought that will be triggered will be massive power speed and performance. 

hopefully this forum and this thread is alive in 2025 for us to revisit and for me to post a smiley face to say "i told you so" 

regarding infrastructure, its going to change and change fast. This is evolution no one can stop it. EV is on the way up / Gas is on the way down. Having said that 10 years seems like a reasonable estimate to be honest for them to comparable, as in someone to go buy a Ev without even thinking twice about worry of being stranded, location for charging and distance etc. Right now and in near future, its still viable and reasonable as long as little bit of planning and patience is involved. 

disclaimer:I  dont own EV / still love my gas guzzlers / not a fan boy of tesla/ just accepting the fact and proud of human evolution even though we gonna be extinct by our own progress/ regress/ and deeds in future. 

You probably like the looks of the Aztec ☺️

image.jpeg.54035dd373425325b3ebf7b9bb13aa32.jpeg

17 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

Coming from someone that drives a car and bike that are considered by the vast majority to be really good looking machines.......... :lol:

9 minutes ago, ricer1 said:

You probably like the looks of the Aztec ☺️

image.jpeg.54035dd373425325b3ebf7b9bb13aa32.jpeg

haha perfect example. if the Aztec was a 500+hp beast people wouldnt be hating in it as much as it receives now.  If  this car was munching down corvettes and camaros of its generation despite looking like a big block of melting icecube, the opinion we carry about aztec and its looks would be different. 

2 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Coming from someone that drives a car and bike that are considered by the vast majority to be really good looking machines.......... :lol:

haha nah, dont misunderstand the statement. I am not against the looks / for me first is performance / functional status/ bang for buck etc and looks i like is an added icing on the cake. Vstrom was considered ugly but still my all time favorite bike. the civic is considered immature and  ricey by vast majority esp if driven by older owners, still my favorite.  

EV tech is evolving rapidly.  IMO, any EV that exist today will certainly be obsolete in 10 years. 

Infrastructure is the driving force of the industry.  Infrastructure is largely going to determine which EVs are going to be successful...not the other way around.   I expect some failed formats (think VHS vs Betamax) before the industry is standardized.  Whatever company emerges & gains control of that infrastructure is going to become one of the most powerful companies in the world. 

After those chips fall is when I'll seriously consider an EV.  Prolly 10 years.

13 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

EV tech is evolving rapidly.  IMO, any EV that exist today will certainly be obsolete in 10 years. 

Infrastructure is the driving force of the industry.  Infrastructure is largely going to determine which EVs are going to be successful...not the other way around.   I expect some failed formats (think VHS vs Betamax) before the industry is standardized.  Whatever company emerges & gains control of that infrastructure is going to become one of the most powerful companies in the world. 

biggest strength and same time weakness of EV is the rapid pace of evolution. What used to be cutting edge 5 yrs ago is looking obsolete now. Just like all all electronic products thats almost hitting 90% depreciation and filling up dumpsters.  But it will be a major hit to consumer to have such a high priced vehicle to undergo same depreciation and loss in value and hence less people buying into EVs. 

solution is sort of affordable renting/ leasing vehicles from manufactures and the vehicles going back to mfg for recycle and updates. 

regarding infrastructure again its going to become standardized sooner or later, then the pace of development will be exponential. like different adapters of mobile phone plugging into uniform outlet, EVs will have different adapters for uniform charging stations. 10 yrs is a good bet. 

Edited by NinjaDoc

4 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

biggest strength and same time weakness of EV is the rapid pace of evolution. What used to be cutting edge 5 yrs ago is looking obsolete now. Just like all all electronic products thats almost hitting 90% depreciation and filling up dumpsters.  But it will be a major hit to consumer to have such a high priced vehicle to undergo same depreciation and loss in value and hence less people buying into EVs. 

solution is sort of affordable renting/ leasing vehicles from manufactures and the vehicles going back to mfg for recycle and updates. 

regarding infrastructure again its going to become standardized sooner or later, then the pace of development will be exponential. like different adapters of mobile phone plugging into uniform outlet, EVs will have different adapters for uniform charging stations. 10 yrs is a good bet. 

A few years ago definitely true, thats why I paid %40 of new for a low mileage EV. However that is changing. Current gen vehicles now have functional ranges and features with much less premium over ICE. Model 3, bolt and latest gen Leaf are holding value comparable to other vehicles in their segments. Batteries and drivetrains are proving to run high mileage with low maintenance costs which helps hold value.

So while tech will continue to evolve the EV costs are less of a factor in the vehicle costs. I think you will see a strong resale market. Just avoid those first gen Leafs and California compliance cars, those were underpowered and battery pack monitoring was insufficient. 

As for infrastructure, for second car use its not much of an issue. I've owned my EV for 6 months and 7000 miles and used a public charger 3 times and have yet to use a DC charger. As main stream I can see it being important to have support. Unlike Beta/VHS though it is fairly easy to support the 2 standards for DC charging and most sites do. Level 2 has just 1 standard. Tesla is proprietary which is a concern as they are a large portion of the EVs. I'm not sure how that will play out. It maybe an Apple vs PC type thing, where both coexist. 1 keeps it easy for customers but you are kind of locked in, the other is open standards but may be less convenient to use. Currently in OH the stations are sparse but standards based chargers far outnumber Tesla. 

I have nothing against early adopters.  Good for you.  I'm just not one of them.

I'll likely go solar (when I build a cabin) before I get an EV.  Solar feasibility is dependent on the battery/panel tech without having to worry about infrastructure :dunno:

i preordered one cause it's the only other equally retarded looking truck to my raptor.  am looking for a good price on a lowish mileage model S for when my wife gets sick of her highlander.

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

I have nothing against early adopters.  Good for you.  I'm just not one of them.

I'll likely go solar (when I build a cabin) before I get an EV.  Solar feasibility is dependent on the battery/panel tech without having to worry about infrastructure :dunno:

I love early adopters, they pay the premium to pay for the R&D to make the tech mainstream. I'm suggesting I'm not really an early adopter either. The tech is now mature enough to be good options in some cases and viable options in many. And I think both those groups continue to grow in the next few years. Should you get and EV? it depends... Ofcourse the same answer applies to a pickup truck, sports car, etc. 

I guess you could say I very happy with my decision. Last year when the Model 3 first came out I thought much the same as you, but after some research I realized and EV was a reasonable choice for my use. 

7 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

Whoever patents an effective and durable wireless charging pad that can be installed in existing parking spaces is going to be the next Bezos. Charging stations probably won't be a thing in the way gas stations are a thing.The simplest solution is to transform all parking spaces into charging pads that automatically charge a vehicle that's parked in the space and bills the driver using some sort of identity chip/ID attached to the vehicle. A good portion of the electricity could be gathered and stored in on-site batteries via solar in order to ease strain on existing electric infrastructure and keep overhead down.

Jim, when you and your son put this together I'll be happy living off of 0.1% of gross profits.

NASA is trying to invent a dual electrolyte fuel, that you can pump and go. Two fuels, two tanks, one is positive and one is negative. Plus two waste fuel tanks that you pump back at the fueling station to reclaim (recharge). These inventions don't always work out, but if it does, all the electric vehicles will be obsolete. Suddenly, just like that.

27 minutes ago, ReconRat said:

NASA is trying to invent a dual electrolyte fuel, that you can pump and go. Two fuels, two tanks, one is positive and one is negative. Plus two waste fuel tanks that you pump back at the fueling station to reclaim (recharge). These inventions don't always work out, but if it does, all the electric vehicles will be obsolete. Suddenly, just like that.

Interesting idea.  If it proved feasible it would solve the recharge time/infrastructure concern...but I wonder if the consumables and waste would be a concern.

Maybe I'll read up on it :dunno:

2 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

Interesting idea.  If it proved feasible it would solve the recharge time/infrastructure concern...but I wonder if the consumables and waste would be a concern.

Maybe I'll read up on it :dunno:

It's a closed system. Spent battery fluid would just get sent back to be recharged. The big upside to this is the infrastructure is already in place with gas stations on every corner. I don't see this idea winning out in the end but it's at least interesting.