Jump to content
Pauly

Best "No Ads" Streaming Device?

Recommended Posts

It finally happened. My XBox360 gave up the ghost today. I need a replacement for streaming and DVD playback. I don't game and the XBox was a hand me down from Isaac. Not opposed to buying a gaming console, but I don't really need one. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Pauly said:

It finally happened. My XBox360 gave up the ghost today. I need a replacement for streaming and DVD playback. I don't game and the XBox was a hand me down from Isaac. Not opposed to buying a gaming console, but I don't really need one. 

 

Just buy any run of the mill smart Blu Ray player... And get one with 4k so you can watch UHD movies... This one's on sale 

 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-streaming-4k-ultra-hd-audio-wi-fi-built-in-blu-ray-player-black/5855304.p?skuId=5855304

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steve Butters said:

.. And get one with 4k so you can watch UHD movies..

Dude was using an Xbox 360 to stream, what would make you think he has a 4k TV?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We use Firesticks.   There small, inexpensive, and portable.  You can take them with you when traveling.   

Then any cheap Blu Ray player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Dude was using an Xbox 360 to stream, what would make you think he has a 4k TV?

🤷🏻‍♂️ Better to prepare for the future. Every TV sold pretty much is 4k now. Or 8k. Even if he has an old plasma, if it goes out, his next TV will most likely have it. 

Also, quality aside, it allows you to play the UHD discs... I have a PS4 Pro which is a 4k system but it doesn't play 4K UHD movies on disc, it only streams 4k. Limits your purchasing options slightly. I have a $300/400 system that can't fucking read movie discs from best buy... That's not ideal. Hence a dedicated UHD player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there is any such thing as "ad free" service anymore. Maybe limited ads but even amazon prime videos, disney+ and netflix are starting to sneak in ads at the beggining of the shows and movies now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Steve Butters said:

 Even if he has an old plasma, if it goes out, his next TV will most likely have it. 

 

Still the best contrasting picture that was ever on the market. If you don't mind burn in and the thing weighting a metric ton. :D 

Still rocking my old 65" LG plasma, bought it when stores were basically trying to get rid of them. Got it for less than $350 and still looks awesome, except for that pesky Discovery channel "D" that is now on everything I watch :lol: 

Edited by 2talltim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer Roku. Amazon, Google and Apple all seem to allow other content currently but that has not always been the case. As Roku is independent they seem to do the best to support any service. 

Any of the basic streaming devices are cheap and sufficient for what you need. Looks for black friday deals and get something cheap. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I consider myself pretty technologically capable but I've had a shitty experience with a jailbroken firestick. Buffers, and doesnt load. Just too many issues. Tried different versions, etc. Just too much effort to get it to work (sometimes).

Typically the device itself isnt the one presenting you ads, its whatever service you are using.

Edited by TimTheAzn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Roku, Apple TV and a Firestick. Kind of a nerd, like to try them all. I think the Roku is the best platform out of the group. 

Best streaming service, that is hard to say. I have Spectrum internet, they have an app for TV and I get like maybe 20 channels. If you are a good salesman (like myself) you can get them to throw in for free.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know AT&T has an app as well but it's strictly for mobile devices. I cant even share my phone's screen while watching it on there via my AppleTV. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

Still the best contrasting picture that was ever on the market. If you don't mind burn in and the thing weighting a metric ton. :D 

Still rocking my old 65" LG plasma, bought it when stores were basically trying to get rid of them. Got it for less than $350 and still looks awesome, except for that pesky Discovery channel "D" that is now on everything I watch :lol: 

Lol I have a 51" plasma in my bedroom that's older than dirt and runs great... No burn in, good picture... Puts off a ton of heat 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a mix of Roku TVs, Firesticks and FireTVs.

I prefer the FireTV the most but thats mainly for a reason that wouldn't apply to your situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

I consider myself pretty technologically capable but I've had a shitty experience with a jailbroken firestick. Buffers, and doesnt load. Just too many issues. Tried different versions, etc. Just too much effort to get it to work (sometimes).

Typically the device itself isnt the one presenting you ads, its whatever service you are using.

Same! Ended up with a $125 brick. Bought a Roku and never looked back. And has an attachment to make the remote universal which is even better. 

 

But it doesn't play DVDs, so he'd still need to buy a DVD player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Steve Butters said:

Same! Ended up with a $125 brick. Bought a Roku and never looked back. And has an attachment to make the remote universal which is even better. 

I've used jail broken Firesticks for years with no issue.

Buffering issues either mean the source you are streaming from has bandwidth issues (this would be the case if you only have issues during peak times), if you always have issues I'd bet your ISP is limiting bandwidth intentionally (this is the case with apps like Kodi).   Also, Kodi needs a fresh install when there's major version change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an Nvidia shield (first gen) and its been rock solid. Never used it for gaming. Always streaming. Also acts a a Plex server. Very power little device. If thats to expensive look at the Mi Box, Same thing minus the controller and gaming stuff. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

 Also, Kodi needs a fresh install when there's major version change.

Maybe thats what I'm doing wrong.

Still way too much effort for me to keep it updated like that. I work on computers and technology all day at work. I just want shit to work when I get home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Maybe thats what I'm doing wrong.

Still way too much effort for me to keep it updated like that. I work on computers and technology all day at work. I just want shit to work when I get home.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kodi fucking blows 🤷🏻‍♂️ I'd rather pay to watch shows than deal with that shit program. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Livetv.net is good for channels.   It has tons of international sports channels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×