Best "No Ads" Streaming Device?

Pauly

8 hours ago, Pauly said:

It finally happened. My XBox360 gave up the ghost today. I need a replacement for streaming and DVD playback. I don't game and the XBox was a hand me down from Isaac. Not opposed to buying a gaming console, but I don't really need one. 

Just buy any run of the mill smart Blu Ray player... And get one with 4k so you can watch UHD movies... This one's on sale 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-streaming-4k-ultra-hd-audio-wi-fi-built-in-blu-ray-player-black/5855304.p?skuId=5855304

29 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Dude was using an Xbox 360 to stream, what would make you think he has a 4k TV?

🤷🏻‍♂️ Better to prepare for the future. Every TV sold pretty much is 4k now. Or 8k. Even if he has an old plasma, if it goes out, his next TV will most likely have it. 

Also, quality aside, it allows you to play the UHD discs... I have a PS4 Pro which is a 4k system but it doesn't play 4K UHD movies on disc, it only streams 4k. Limits your purchasing options slightly. I have a $300/400 system that can't fucking read movie discs from best buy... That's not ideal. Hence a dedicated UHD player. 

13 minutes ago, Steve Butters said:

Even if he has an old plasma, if it goes out, his next TV will most likely have it. 

Still the best contrasting picture that was ever on the market. If you don't mind burn in and the thing weighting a metric ton. :D 

Still rocking my old 65" LG plasma, bought it when stores were basically trying to get rid of them. Got it for less than $350 and still looks awesome, except for that pesky Discovery channel "D" that is now on everything I watch :lol: 

Edited by 2talltim

I prefer Roku. Amazon, Google and Apple all seem to allow other content currently but that has not always been the case. As Roku is independent they seem to do the best to support any service. 

Any of the basic streaming devices are cheap and sufficient for what you need. Looks for black friday deals and get something cheap. 

• Upvote 1

I consider myself pretty technologically capable but I've had a shitty experience with a jailbroken firestick. Buffers, and doesnt load. Just too many issues. Tried different versions, etc. Just too much effort to get it to work (sometimes).

Typically the device itself isnt the one presenting you ads, its whatever service you are using.

Edited by TimTheAzn

I have a Roku, Apple TV and a Firestick. Kind of a nerd, like to try them all. I think the Roku is the best platform out of the group. 

Best streaming service, that is hard to say. I have Spectrum internet, they have an app for TV and I get like maybe 20 channels. If you are a good salesman (like myself) you can get them to throw in for free.  

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

Still the best contrasting picture that was ever on the market. If you don't mind burn in and the thing weighting a metric ton. :D 

Still rocking my old 65" LG plasma, bought it when stores were basically trying to get rid of them. Got it for less than $350 and still looks awesome, except for that pesky Discovery channel "D" that is now on everything I watch :lol: 

Lol I have a 51" plasma in my bedroom that's older than dirt and runs great... No burn in, good picture... Puts off a ton of heat 😂

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

I consider myself pretty technologically capable but I've had a shitty experience with a jailbroken firestick. Buffers, and doesnt load. Just too many issues. Tried different versions, etc. Just too much effort to get it to work (sometimes).

Typically the device itself isnt the one presenting you ads, its whatever service you are using.

Same! Ended up with a $125 brick. Bought a Roku and never looked back. And has an attachment to make the remote universal which is even better. 

But it doesn't play DVDs, so he'd still need to buy a DVD player. 

21 minutes ago, Steve Butters said:

Same! Ended up with a $125 brick. Bought a Roku and never looked back. And has an attachment to make the remote universal which is even better. 

I've used jail broken Firesticks for years with no issue.

Buffering issues either mean the source you are streaming from has bandwidth issues (this would be the case if you only have issues during peak times), if you always have issues I'd bet your ISP is limiting bandwidth intentionally (this is the case with apps like Kodi).   Also, Kodi needs a fresh install when there's major version change.

I have an Nvidia shield (first gen) and its been rock solid. Never used it for gaming. Always streaming. Also acts a a Plex server. Very power little device. If thats to expensive look at the Mi Box, Same thing minus the controller and gaming stuff. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

Also, Kodi needs a fresh install when there's major version change.

Maybe thats what I'm doing wrong.

Still way too much effort for me to keep it updated like that. I work on computers and technology all day at work. I just want shit to work when I get home.

• 4 months later...

after having this shit for the last 10 years I can only recommend using a google chromecast.  other devices rely on the apps to work with them.  such as a blu-ray player.  when the app in the device never gets updated it stops working.  my sharp tv is 100% functionless for it's smart tv features because sharp discontinued that model. then my WD tv unit did the same thing when WD stopped making them.   so dont bother spending money on a smart TV or set top box that becomes useless in 2 years.  

I returned the roku because they want to store my CC info in order for it to work.  NOPE!

the only device I find that works without relying on updates and bullshit by the manufacture to keep it working is the chromecast.  you will have to download the apps to your phone to control it.  some apps do work better than others.  netflix and hulu always work flawlessly with it.  however on occasion sling TV stops working and disconnects from the chromecast.  make sure you get the latest version with 4k capabilities and have 5G wifi in your house.  I watch movies on VUDU etc in 4k (UHD) and it never skips a beat. 

as for services, if you're into movies VUDU is pretty sweet.  if you buy a movie you can watch it on any device anywhere and download it.  I found a few good movies in the discount bin at walmart for $5.  went on vudu and redeem the codes and now i have a digital copy I can watch anywhere even without internet.