Gerbing Controller Malfunctioning?

Shoop

I did not receive any instructions with my new gear other than a connection diagram. The videos make it look like the operation is super simple. I am frustrated because the controller seems to be malfunctioning and I am not able to use my new equipment.

At the AIM Expo I purchased a 12v heated jacket liner, the hero gloves, the newer dual controller ( G1218U-ACC-930-001-10001), and a battery harness. I did not purchase the wireless remote.

When I connect everything, with the bike running, and try to turn on the jacket or gloves, the controller often does not accept the setting and resets to off. When starting I have to hold one of the buttons for 5 seconds or more. Then, most times, the setting will hold and I can then tap the button again to increase the setting. Next, if I try to turn on the other device, gloves or liner, the controller will flash a "1" in that side then both sides will go blank and the controller has reset to both sides off. If I try both buttons at the same time, both displays flash – which think happens while it tries to pair with the remote – that I do not have.

While trying this for about an hour I was able to get the liner and gloves to both work only two times.

Is there some special technique or sequence that I am not aware of or did I receive a defective controller?

Chris