MSF Range Bikes

Shoop

I have a question for current or former MSF coaches. (You OH guys are all former MSF now, right)

What newer program bikes do you see on your ranges?

At PKB we have mostly Honda Nighthawks with a few Rebels, two CR230's, Suzuki GV's and a single Yamaha Star 250. Good bikes but they're getting to be more than 10-15 years old.

At the winter roundup meeting the state guys were pushing us to try harder at working with the local dealers on the loaner program. Apparently it's a pretty good deal where we get to use a bike or several for a year, then the dealer sells it used, and the corporation covers the difference in new versus used price.

But looking at the newer 250-400 cc bikes, I see a lot of plastic, which will not do well through all those predictable drops. 

At the Morgantown range they have four loaner Grom's. Which are NOT fair competition for the limited space exercise.

So, does anybody see any newer bikes? Are they holding up well through the low speed drops? I hear the Ninja's are not considered. 

Chris

I'm sure that standards and small cruisers are preferred because they have fewer plastic parts that can get bashed. The sportbike models all have lots of plastic.

The newer naked models have less plastic - no fairings. But they still mostly have shrouds around the radiators and, in some cases, those silly fake air intake scoops. Has anybody seen one of these newer models go down? Do those shrouds or air scoops survive, or do they spray plastic slivers all over?

@motocat12 I never thought of a KTM! The 390 Duke is not outrageously overpriced versus the Honda, Yamaha, or Kawi Z400. But they might be entirely reasonable on the loaner plan. I've never heard of any in the MSF program. So, wow, can't wait to find out if KTM is interested in or already has a loaner program. I think it would be a GREAT way to get new riders to try the brand.

But I forsee three problems. First, if we only have one 390 for a class of 10 or 12, we'll have fist fights. Second, both rider coaches will want to do ALL of the demo rides. And third, I would be very very tempted to sneak the thing out on the road. :D

24 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I dont think I'd pass the motorcycle test on a goldwing.:lol:

When I took the MSF one of our instructors was a female, that did competition precision riding on a Wing. She was amazing. Below is another female doing it. So, we know of at least two girls that can ride better than you.

• Like 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Tonik said:

When I took the MSF one of our instructors was a female, that did competition precision riding on a Wing. She was amazing. Below is another female doing it. So, we know of at least two girls that can ride better than you.

There's plenty more than 2 girls that can ride better than me. Those two arent them, though. :lol:

Love how that guy has a cig in his mouth. Practice like you do it in real life.

Edited by TimTheAzn
  • Beer 1

I personally think going forward we will have an issue with liquid cooled bikes. The new Honda rebles are liquid cooled. How well will this hold  up to teaching? I have seen the old tw200 take one hell of a hit, and they keep on ticking. Now we run the risk of cleaning up a mess of coolant on the range. 

I think the new van van 200 would be a great trainer bike. I have road a few already. 

Pickings are getting slim for trainer bikes. Most are just over powered for training, although fuel in injection is welcome. 

9 hours ago, motocat12 said:

For air cooled and under powered there's always the chinese crate bikes.

Ya know, I would love to set have a pair of those new Hawk 250's that are Fuel injected. Just to see if they can take the abuse. 

Also the Honda grom would be a great bike in my opione. No not 12 of them for one class, but a pair of them in the fleet would be a good option and fit quite a few riders. 

• 5 months later...
On 11/5/2019 at 4:00 PM, Shoop said:

I have a question for current or former MSF coaches. (You OH guys are all former MSF now, right)

What newer program bikes do you see on your ranges?

At PKB we have mostly Honda Nighthawks with a few Rebels, two CR230's, Suzuki GV's and a single Yamaha Star 250. Good bikes but they're getting to be more than 10-15 years old.

At the winter roundup meeting the state guys were pushing us to try harder at working with the local dealers on the loaner program. Apparently it's a pretty good deal where we get to use a bike or several for a year, then the dealer sells it used, and the corporation covers the difference in new versus used price.

But looking at the newer 250-400 cc bikes, I see a lot of plastic, which will not do well through all those predictable drops. 

At the Morgantown range they have four loaner Grom's. Which are NOT fair competition for the limited space exercise.

So, does anybody see any newer bikes? Are they holding up well through the low speed drops? I hear the Ninja's are not considered. 

Chris

I took my class fall of 2018 on a Suzuki van van.

• 7 months later...

BUMP - Getting closer to being able to talk with the local dealer for a bike or two.

Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki. Same local shop handles all three. They've been a big supporter in past years before there was some sort of "misunderstanding" a couple years ago.

Any fresh insight on new range bikes?

The Morgantown range says the revised Honda Rebel is a real problem when they do the power-walking exercise because the pegs get in the way. The Groms are good but the brakes are a bit too powerful and they've seen more than a few drops and stoppies. 

I like the looks of the Yamaha MT-03, and the Honda CB300F. We already have a pair of CR230L's that are great for taller people, or I'd also be looking at a CRF250L or maybe a Yamaha XT250. Sorry - but I don't like the look of the TW200. 

Any thought on these or others from this dealer? Anybody have experience with adding crash protection to range bikes?

Thanks,

Chris

2 hours ago, snot said:

Why not use the z300 or cb300r? The course by us uses them.

Thanks for the suggestion Jen.

Not considering the Z300 because Kawasaki stopped participating in the loan program. Seems to have been a few years ago. They are still listed on the program description but it says - "no longer participating." If the range that's close to you is using Kawi's, they probably have a close relationship with a Kawi dealer - who's giving them a great deal so they expose a bunch of newbies to their brand. 

I'm looking for FREE bikes. :) My local dealer (Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha) is interested in / willing to put some newer ones on our range through the one-year loan program. But there's paperwork to do, and they want to grump at my state director about the deal that went sour before they start that. 

Regarding the Hondas, I was thinking that the CB300R had a fairing. But now that I looked at the Honda pages, I see they updated the CB300F to the R in 2019. But it's strange that they still show the 2017 & 2018 CB300F on their sales page. Musta made a pile of them that didn't sell? I like the looks of the newer R version better but which version I get will probably be up to the dealer and their corp contacts.

Chris

I agree that the naked bikes would be ideal...if not just for the initial price of the bike and cheaper repair costs since they're inevitably dropped.   If liquid cooling plays a role in the decision process, there's measures to take to help with overheating ( coolant alternatives/additives like engine ice, water wetter, etc  - maybe jumping the fan circuits so they run continuously? ).   And honestly, no matter what bikes are used.....crash protection ( frame and axle sliders/bar ends ) would be a wise investment to alleviate damage, save on repair costs, and improve resale value later?   

China bikes and the like are probably top of the list for something like this since the value on Japanese bikes is pricier.   Personally cant attest to the quality of them, but overseas they seem to flourish ( probably because they're a cheaper investment ).

Finding a local dealer willing and able to play along may prove to be tougher since there's less of them involved with the non-jap/boutique brands....but may be worth looking into?

Edited by Helmutt