Dream Bikes

meadeam

I've always thought of myself as a "riding" enthusiast more than a "motorcycle" enthusiast.  

There are certainly motorcycles that have caught my eye over the years, but I'm more drawn to capabilities than the actual machine...if that makes any sense.

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

I've always thought of myself as a "riding" enthusiast more than a "motorcycle" enthusiast.  

There are certainly motorcycles that have caught my eye over the years, but I'm more drawn to capabilities than the actual machine...if that makes any sense.

I think it makes perfect sense, and most of the time I feel the same way.  I suppose that is why the Scrambler is a tough call for me.  A more sensible choice would be a GS, Tiger, or even a VStrom.  They would all work perfectly for my purposes, but wouldn't be nearly as self-indulgent.

10 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

I would agree with that......I like different "styles" of riding vs any one machine can do all. For quite awhile now, I have had some type of sporty type bike and then also a fat assed cruiser as a baseline. Plus off and on have added other bikes of interest..

For now if we are going "dreams",  I would be interested in some long haul bomber.. (GW or ST or FJR or BMW?) and have always itched for that perfect RC51 and a tricked out Truimph Truxton, mbe one of the new ducati V4 bikes and some type of street fighter... . .

Edited by mello dude

On 11/1/2019 at 8:28 PM, Tpoppa said:

Wait, you're wanting a twin?  You must be getting old...lol

Not really wanting a twin but Wow is that bike well sorted out. I would love for it to have the power of the KTM Super Adventurer but other than that it just flat out feels like quality from the moment you start moving on it.

I'm really surprised Pauly like it well enough to buy it though. He couldn't get off of my bike fast enough and the seating position isn't too much different.

On 11/7/2019 at 2:28 PM, Uncle Punk said:

Not really wanting a twin but Wow is that bike well sorted out. I would love for it to have the power of the KTM Super Adventurer but other than that it just flat out feels like quality from the moment you start moving on it.

I'm really surprised Pauly like it well enough to buy it though. He couldn't get off of my bike fast enough and the seating position isn't too much different.

Your bike felt weird from the moment I sat on it. I think it was the long reach, really. The GS was a little bit of a reach, too..but not as pronounced as your bike. I bought a riser kit and it feels pretty good now. 

I doubt I will replace the Hyper with it, but folklore tells of a strong sport presence that is surprisingly adept. I am anxious to get it down south. I didn't buy it for that, though. I will use it while traveling for work and for solo sport touring. Sort of trying to do both at the same time. 

6 hours ago, Pauly said:

Your bike felt weird from the moment I sat on it. I think it was the long reach, really. The GS was a little bit of a reach, too..but not as pronounced as your bike. I bought a riser kit and it feels pretty good now. 

I doubt I will replace the Hyper with it, but folklore tells of a strong sport presence that is surprisingly adept. I am anxious to get it down south. I didn't buy it for that, though. I will use it while traveling for work and for solo sport touring. Sort of trying to do both at the same time. 

This will very well be the Elusive one bike solution, I have a feeling duck and cow is gonna sit in the shed for longer duration next season. 

6 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

This will very well be the Elusive one bike solution, I have a feeling duck and cow is gonna sit in the shed for longer duration next season. 

The Voyager isn't going anywhere, but the Ducati might not make the cut. I don't know how this is going to play out just yet. 

3 hours ago, Pauly said:

The Voyager isn't going anywhere, but the Ducati might not make the cut. I don't know how this is going to play out just yet. 

Multistrada V4 is how it's going to play out in the end. You know this. I know this. 

21 minutes ago, what said:

Multistrada V4 is how it's going to play out in the end. You know this. I know this. 

I doubt it at this point. The BMW is here to stay. The Voyager will go eventually, but it is just about perfect for 2-up touring and it is in damn-near perfect condition. When the time comes, it will be replaced with a luxury tourer of some kind. I want to see how well the Goldwing ages. 

I was looking at 900 Multistradas, but the lack of weather protection and a maintenance-free drivetrain dropped its appeal for my current needs. The BMW just blows it away in ride quality, too. (which was a real shock to me, honesty). I expected the GS to be this gigantic, hard to operate, slug of a bike. It is 100% not that in any sense of the word. Will I take it into the woods? Probably not on purpose, but that may change after a couple seasons. 

For now, the Hyper will be my hooligan bike. I really enjoy it and see no immediate reason to dump it. The GS might change my mind, but time will tell. 

• Upvote 1

A couple of high school friends bought two of these (1200 cc then) right out of high school.  I went on to college so I didn't have the $$$.  By the time I did have some disposable income I spent it all on cars and guns.  I keep saying that this will be my next bike but I don't know if I'll ever have an extra $18K lying around.  Maybe I can find a low mileage used version.  It's hard to justify when there are so many bikes that are almost as fast for less money.

Yamaha returns its mighty 170-hp-plus VMAX to its US model line for 2020.

6 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

Totally impractical, but I kinda like the 2nd gen Valkyrie.  It's a stripped down goldwing that weighs about 150lbs less.  It's a big motor, wheels, and not much else.

040914top-i.jpg

I am a big Valkyrie fan and when I heard that Honda was doing a 1800 version, I was kinda excited about it. I bet that bike is a great ride, but its sooo damn ugly. Seems like the same crew that did the VTX1300, the 1200 VFR also did the 1800 Valk.  I am a Honda crazy, but the design team needs a kick in the ass. (WTF r u thinking?) 

I do have the original version and I like it as a laid back slacker cruiser for a ride on the local backroads. Mondo torque off idle, and crack it WFO and its got a great honking engine sound.  I dont think any twin would fill the bill as the flat six does... 

Pcropped-L.jpg

43 minutes ago, mello dude said:

I am a big Valkyrie fan and when I heard that Honda was doing a 1800 version, I was kinda excited about it. I bet that bike is a great ride, but its sooo damn ugly. Seems like the same crew that did the VTX1300, the 1200 VFR also did the 1800 Valk.  I am a Honda crazy, but the design team needs a kick in the ass. (WTF r u thinking?) 

I do have the original version and I like it as a laid back slacker cruiser for a ride on the local backroads. Mondo torque off idle, and crack it WFO and its got a great honking engine sound.  I dont think any twin would fill the bill as the flat six does... 

Pcropped-L.jpg

I think Honda's problem is that Honda Marketing keeps answering the questions that no one is asking.  They tend to make bikes that are fun and well sorted, but less features than competition with higher prices.  The results have been sales flops.

Ctx700, ctx1300, fury, nc700x, vfr1200, Rune, 8th gen interceptor, that black Batman scooter, Valkyrie, CBR650, etc, have all aged on showroom floors with deep discounts. 

None of them are bad motorcycles.  They just keep building bikes that Americans don't want.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:54 PM, Pauly said:

That reach on mine was intentional. I wanted to be able to put more weight on the front end so I rotated the bars forward, they are too wide though.

I ride regularly with a guy on a KTM 1290 Super Adventurer which has the same wheels and tires your bike has, I am shocked at how well that setup makes it through the back roads. No matter how hard I try I can't get away from him so I'm certain that you won't have any problem on the BMW being one of the fast guys. 

On 11/9/2019 at 1:15 AM, NinjaDoc said:

I'll stretch the legs on that duc if it starts to become neglected.