New cat from circleville on a ktm

Ktm265

New to the page and to single track. Addicted to say the least. Just got back from buffalo mountain Hatfield McCoy. Was a blast but need my suspension done and lowered. New to ktm also just got a 2010 xcw 250, has 265 kit, port and polished. Runs amazing but to tall.

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

Welcome to OhioRiders! 

That's a fast bike and I bet a blast to ride.  I have a 2013 Beta 350 RR-S and ride Wayne and Perry occasionally, usually with another Westerville guy on a 500 exc.  Sometimes we hit events put on by local groups like the Flint Ridge, Peace Pipe and Grassman Enduros and Dual Sports rides.  Keep your eyes out for the 2020 schedule at https://www.usdualsports.com/ohio-dirt-bike-rides/ and consider Wailin Wayne Weekend https://www.wailinwayneweekend.com/ when it comes around next year.  I've personally found the family enduros to be more my level/age group/risk tolerance than the full-on ones, but to each their own.  Within Wayne National Forest, the monday creek main corridor is the easiest route and has tons of flow, but there are some adjacent hill climb areas and Long Ridge can be challenging.  One of the neat things about the main corridor is that it can have rained the day prior and it's still a blast if you air the tires way down or even better are running tubliss with good knobbies.

Seat height is always a tradeoff, and I get it - my inseam is only 30" and I enjoy the Beta's lower by 1/2"-or-so seat.  At first I thought I'd want to lift the forks and thrown a lowering link on the shock but I gradually got used to it.  My boots add at least 1/4" to my height and I intuitively now just look for a small rise on either side before I stop.  You should be standing on the bike most of the time anyway, so in practice seat height is only a big deal when you're starting, stopping and dabbing (very, very rarely because it can cause injuries).  I suggestion would be that if you modify the suspension, don't do anything permanent because you may find over time that you'll want that travel and ground clearance back.

Anywho, single track really is addictive!  This season is drawing to an end unless you add a love for cold, muddy slop and snow.  I can barely even think about it without getting depressed.