Recommend some track gear

meadeam

I'll be Needing leathers, boots, gloves, plus whatever else you recommend to a track noob that you may wish you'd known about when you started.   Bandolier?  Feather boa?  Sword and scabbard?  I want to look the part.

My street gear is from Rev'it and Icon, both of which I like just fine but am not partial to.  I'd like to spend less than $1000 on leathers.

RST is pretty good bang for the buck. I have a 1pc and 2 pairs of gloves all of which have been down at some point. Still going strong.

I'll end up succumbing to an airbag suit, but it most likely (hopefully) wont be because I destroyed my RST.

Edited by TimTheAzn

1 hour ago, meadeam said:

Feather boa?

I've never considered a boa but maybe next year.  I prefer a bow on my helmet.  😂

1 hour ago, RidersDiscount said:

Many options out there for every budget. Good gear is vital, especially since you are track noob. Send me a PM if interested in getting setup! 

This is true, unless you're not a man, then all bets are off...  💰💰💰

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tall_tracy said:

I've never considered a boa but maybe next year.  I prefer a bow on my helmet.  😂

This is true, unless you're not a man, then all bets are off...  💰💰💰

I found the other week my exhaust sounds way better inside my helmet when I wear a scarf

3 hours ago, tall_tracy said:

What type of scarf??  A winter scarf or a statement scarf that just pulls together your riding ensemble??  😉

"A winter scarf or", What or? Doesn't any color of Polarfleece go with black gear. Neck gators are like pulling your helmet of twice after every ride

Burberry Accessories - Authentic Burberry scarf

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

just don't buy shit like heroic that's made in pakistan.  not worth the price.  if you have a odd body shape or want a proper fit at all, I would only suggest custom leathers.    vanson or syed.  both made in usa.  barnacle bill will not make you one.  I've asked him several times and he's always too busy. so I gave up.   

don't cheap out on your gear.  I've learned it's better to pay more now than a lot later or again too soon. for boots I would only suggest something with great ankle support.  if it doesnt have it don't buy it.  

Edited by serpentracer

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Most of my dudes.... ^ Craig included have heroic gloves and have loved them. :dunno:

People hate on RST too and their stuff (that I've seen) has all been good quality. I'm looking at getting a custom suit from Comet this winter. Syed, while it looks nice, is way out of my price range. I know a few people running Comet stuff with numerous crashes in them (big bike) and they've held up great.

People seem to like Heroic, Vo2 and the other brands like that minus the odd mizer who thinks stitching falling out after 5 crashes over 2 seasons is on the manufacturer to warranty :dunno:

Edited by what

I have a bunch of RST stuff and like it all except my RST boots. I've been down in all my RST gear (except the boots) and it's held up.

Which, I'll probably post the boots up for sale. Worn once around the house. Ruined myself by going to the super tech r's and now my feet are used to one of the Cadillacs of boots. No one will probably need a child's sized race boot, though.

I also like Cortech Adrenaline suit, we did a ton of testing when we had the race team years ago. We had our shares of crashes, held up incredibly well for the money. They have since made a newer 2.0 version. At $799 retail price point hard to beat. 

I asked Todd this morning because I was curious. Some of the Heroic stuff is made in their shop in New York (like the hoodies), and they make some stuff in Pakistan. They've been in production there since 2006. I know several people that have Heroic gear and love it. From the hoodies, to the gloves, to the race suits. I plan on buying a hoodie eventually, as I tried one on at the Progressive show this year and really liked it. I also have it in the works to get custom gloves from him. IMO, Heroic is not in the same category as the shit gear companies based in Pakistan that can't even speak English correctly on their websites, and sell low quality "custom" suits for $300.

4 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

I have a bunch of RST stuff and like it all except my RST boots. I've been down in all my RST gear (except the boots) and it's held up.

Which, I'll probably post the boots up for sale. Worn once around the house. Ruined myself by going to the super tech r's and now my feet are used to one of the Cadillacs of boots. No one will probably need a child's sized race boot, though.

What size are those RST boots?

4 hours ago, RidersDiscount said:

I also like Cortech Adrenaline suit, we did a ton of testing when we had the race team years ago. We had our shares of crashes, held up incredibly well for the money. They have since made a newer 2.0 version. At $799 retail price point hard to beat. 

Unfortunately off-the-rack stuff doesn't fit me well otherwise I'd be looking at regular name brands. To get a suit that fits my legs it ends up being like 3 or 4 sizes too big in the chest and waist. Torso length is also an issue it seems. To buy something off the rack then get it altered to fit, I might as well just get a custom suit for $600 to $800 and call it good.

Edited by what