Indian is getting with the program.

2talltim

2 hours ago, Killer_kaw said:

....Not sure how HD competes with them. 

Government bailouts are why HD is still here.

I was looking at Ultra Classics and Road Glides before Jim offered up the Voyager. Saved me about $10k going with a "plastic bike" over the real thing. Zero regrets. 

I have a stereo, but I use it about 10% of the time, or less. One, it sounds like shit..two, I am too cheap to buy the Aux plug and hate everything on the radio. (except Rush)

• Upvote 1

I can hate on HD all day long about their bikes but I will say their customer service is right up there with the best of the best in my experience. I'm kind of interested in all those different bikes they put in their future lineup as well... If they will even get made or be priced competitively. A HD ADV bike would be fun to see 🤷‍♂️

Indian has been hitting it out of the park lately though. The XR1200 was a great move by them and now it looks like they are stepping it up with electronics. Would be awesome if they came out with a supersport or something in the future. I wouldn't put it past them. 

2 hours ago, Pauly said:

Government bailouts are why HD is still here.

I was looking at Ultra Classics and Road Glides before Jim offered up the Voyager. Saved me about $10k going with a "plastic bike" over the real thing. Zero regrets. 

I have a stereo, but I use it about 10% of the time, or less. One, it sounds like shit..two, I am too cheap to buy the Aux plug and hate everything on the radio. (except Rush)

Man Pauly, I thought when you bought the couch it was a case of temporary insanity. When the Duc aficionado bought a Jap cruiser,  I thought, hell must have froze over. Then I read your post that you were actually looking at a Harley Ultra Classic Road Slide Guide Fat Boy Dyna Softail CVO bike. WOW, still wrapping my head around the Duc guy riding the couch. 

6 minutes ago, ricer1 said:

Man Pauly, I thought when you bought the couch it was a case of temporary insanity. When the Duc aficionado bought a Jap cruiser,  I thought, hell must have froze over. Then I read your post that you were actually looking at a Harley Ultra Classic Road Slide Guide Fat Boy Dyna Softail CVO bike. WOW, still wrapping my head around the Duc guy riding the couch. 

In my defense, I had not looked at them enough to go to a dealership or test ride one. I was browsing HD forums and YouTube videos to see if I really wanted to go that route. I was also looking at touring BMWs, but I am not man enough for a bike like that. 

29 minutes ago, Pauly said:

In my defense, I had not looked at them enough to go to a dealership or test ride one. I was browsing HD forums and YouTube videos to see if I really wanted to go that route. I was also looking at touring BMWs, but I am not man enough for a bike like that. 

During my brief HD ownership experience, which included breaking down on the side of the highway, I have to say I was super unimpressed by what passes for Harley service.   

It had a design flaw where the battery would drain after 4-5 days of not being ridden.  There was no official fix, but some home remedies such a wiring a big ass switch to the battery to break the circuit, because...character.

Also take a look at this medieval steering/geomerty adjustment test.  My HD had a nasty clunk in the steering head.  Rock-and-Roll HD wanted to charge me $300 for this test, rather than replacing a defective piece inside the steering head.   I had to bring them the actual HD TSB to show them what needed to be fixed (aluminum sleeve in the steering head would deform, the replacement part was steel).

The service manager got kind of shitty with me..."Listen we've been doing this for a long time and we aren't replacing parts until we do a fall away test."  Me  "what the fuck is a fall away test?"

Edited by Tpoppa

Never heard it called that, or done that way. It was always a bounce test that I knew about. Lift it and give the steering a twist and see how much it bounced off the steering stop. And it was just a quick way to see if you needed to get out the torque wrench and check it properly.

Trying to wrap my head around why that test would cost 300 bucks.

Edited by Tonik

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

Never heard it called that, or done that way. It was always a bounce test that I knew about. Lift it and give the steering a twist and see how much it bounced off the steering stop. And it was just a quick way to see if you needed to get out the torque wrench and check it properly.

Trying to wrap my head around why that test would cost 300 bucks.

That's not a bad deal, it's $417.90 if you've got a metric bike after you convert inches to centimeters. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/2/2019 at 1:58 PM, Tpoppa said:

During my brief HD ownership experience, which included breaking down on the side of the highway, I have to say I was super unimpressed by what passes for Harley service.   

It had a design flaw where the battery would drain after 4-5 days of not being ridden.  There was no official fix, but some home remedies such a wiring a big ass switch to the battery to break the circuit, because...character.

Also take a look at this medieval steering/geomerty adjustment test.  My HD had a nasty clunk in the steering head.  Rock-and-Roll HD wanted to charge me $300 for this test, rather than replacing a defective piece inside the steering head.   I had to bring them the actual HD TSB to show them what needed to be fixed (aluminum sleeve in the steering head would deform, the replacement part was steel).

The service manager got kind of shitty with me..."Listen we've been doing this for a long time and we aren't replacing parts until we do a fall away test."  Me  "what the fuck is a fall away test?"

Ah the Vrod!  One of the 2 track days I've done, there was a vrod that Grenaded an engine!  Can't imagine running that around a track, the available lean angle is near zero.

On 11/2/2019 at 11:19 AM, what said:

I can hate on HD all day long about their bikes but I will say their customer service is right up there with the best of the best in my experience. I'm kind of interested in all those different bikes they put in their future lineup as well... If they will even get made or be priced competitively. A HD ADV bike would be fun to see 🤷‍♂️

Indian has been hitting it out of the park lately though. The XR1200 was a great move by them and now it looks like they are stepping it up with electronics. Would be awesome if they came out with a supersport or something in the future. I wouldn't put it past them. 

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2019/11/05/2021-harley-davidson-pan-america-and-bronx-unveiled-with-60-degree-revolution-max/

I was expecting a buell ulysses with more chrome.

Edited by motocat12

49 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

Sexy bikes, will be some eye candy to look at while passing them on the side of the road unlike the Older classic HD models. 

• 2 weeks later...

Prices on new are too high for most younger people to consider. The used market seems to be doing ok. I would expect to start seeing more lower cost model tiers in the future kind of like the R1S vs the R1 vs the R1M but broken out even more.

I will mosdef keep riding for the foreseeable future.  But I go back and forth on exactly what that means.  I don't seem to like group riding as much as I used to, except with just a select few people like the WV this year with @Pauly and @Blitz.  Plus due to life responsibilities, long rides just can't happen as often as they used to.

I like riding 2 up with the gf, unfortunately that kind of means a cruiser, and I just can't seem to find a cruiser I actually like to ride.

I'll probably buy another bike for 2up rides this year.  Possibly a ctx1300, even though it doesn't check all the boxes :dunno:

1 hour ago, motocat12 said:

True, but I am fine with it. Once the FZ6 is gone, I will be good for quite a while. 

48 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

I will mosdef keep riding for the foreseeable future.  But I go back and forth on exactly what that means.  I don't seem to like group riding as much as I used to, except with just a select few people like the WV this year with @Pauly and @Blitz.  Plus due to life responsibilities, long rides just can't happen as often as they used to.

I like riding 2 up with the gf, unfortunately that kind of means a cruiser, and I just can't seem to find a cruiser I actually like to ride.

I'll probably buy another bike for 2up rides this year.  Possibly a ctx1300, even though it doesn't check all the boxes :dunno:

If you enjoy 2-up riding, then you owe it to yourself to ride a new Goldwing. It isn't your grandpa's Buick. 

8 minutes ago, Pauly said:

If you enjoy 2-up riding, then you owe it to yourself to ride a new Goldwing. It isn't your grandpa's Buick. 

If long overnight rides were an option I might consider a GW.  But I don't see it as a the right choice for around town or just riding for an hour or two.  For what I'd use it for a ctx1300 or Valkyrie would be a better choice...and 1/3 the cost.

Warning for those pondering the bagger version. It does not have a center stand, traction control and the suspension adjustment is manual. Can add the center stand afterwards.

Get the trunk version and de-trunk it. Honda makes a nice kit to do that as do some aftermarket peeps.