Indian is getting with the program.

2talltim

Big boy Vtwin cruiser platform with some POWA! The Scout has impressed the hell out of me, they are now taking that engine design to the next level.

MODERN PERFORMANCE
  • Engine Displacement: 108 cu in (1769 cc)
  • Power: 122 hp at 5,500 RPM
  • Torque: 128 ft-lbs at 3,800 RPM
  • Maximum Engine Speed: 6,500 RPM
  • Architecture: 60-degree V-twin, liquid-cooled
  • Timing: Overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder
  • Transmission: Six-speed with true overdrive, constant mesh
  • Clutch: Assist clutch

https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/powerplus/

https://www.cyclenews.com/2019/10/article/indian-motorcycle-unveils-new-water-cooled-v-twin/

Edited by 2talltim
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Big boy Vtwin cruiser platform with some POWA! The Scout has impressed the hell out of me, they are now taking that engine design to the next level.

MODERN PERFORMANCE
  • Engine Displacement: 108 cu in (1769 cc)
  • Power: 122 hp at 5,500 RPM
  • Torque: 128 ft-lbs at 3,800 RPM
  • Maximum Engine Speed: 6,500 RPM
  • Architecture: 60-degree V-twin, liquid-cooled
  • Timing: Overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder
  • Transmission: Six-speed with true overdrive, constant mesh
  • Clutch: Assist clutch

https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/powerplus/

https://www.cyclenews.com/2019/10/article/indian-motorcycle-unveils-new-water-cooled-v-twin/

Jeez, that's a serious torque monster.....

11 minutes ago, mello dude said:

Jeez, that's a serious torque monster.....

Depends what the curve looks like throughout the room range. I expect that like most v twins it will be at that torque level for a very short range.

4 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Depends what the curve looks like throughout the room range. I expect that like most v twins it will be at that torque level for a very short range.

If the torque curve is anywhere near the new wing, it’s a torque monster. I actually had the front end come up last time I rode dad’s wing.

4 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

If the torque curve is anywhere near the new wing, it’s a torque monster. I actually had the front end come up last time I rode dad’s wing.

It won't, it's a v twins. It will peak at 2500 and taper off quickly after 3500 or maybe 4k. 

1 minute ago, TimTheAzn said:

@Tonik You must now wheelie the wing with video evidence to confirm Justin's findings.

Happy too, it has wheelied a couple of times. Most recently on 21 coming back from the Epic Ride. I try and hit those lights when on that road and be in front and then go WOT with speed shifts to 90. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Here is a chart from a 18 scout. The new engine is simular to the 1200 scout.

Screenshot_20191022-184226_Google.thumb.jpg.b01e1b3e55ac68fca859c717808b8fe0.jpg

Realistically with a decent tune, you could smooth that torque curve out all the way from peak at 3200 to 6200 or so. That's a pretty wide range to be sitting at the top end of your torque. If the new engine looks anything like that it's going to be a real beast. It's interesting it makes power all the way to redline, but I guess it doesn't rev out much past where it starts to drop off so...

48 minutes ago, what said:

Realistically with a decent tune, you could smooth that torque curve out all the way from peak at 3200 to 6200 or so. That's a pretty wide range to be sitting at the top end of your torque. If the new engine looks anything like that it's going to be a real beast. It's interesting it makes power all the way to redline, but I guess it doesn't rev out much past where it starts to drop off so...

The wife's scout has a stage 1 tune and exhaust not sure what its curve looks like. But that thing is impressive. It  would out run and perform most big boy cruisers. Its a blast to ride being so small and nimble.

I'm highly impressed. cartiage forks, adjustable rear shock, brembro brakes, cornering TC and ABS, extended reach options for tall people, few taller windscreen options on top of the already impressive engine specs. Priced right in my opinion. $22k-$28k. Future replacement for the Connie? Maybe...LOL  Only thing I see missing is top luggage. Also with a 6 gallon tank and 680 wet(full of fuel) win, win. 

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

The smart lean is impressive stuff and a plus for safety. Not knocking any of it, technology marches on, but the thing is, I have seen it even with the start of ABS brakes, is that riders start appreciating less that riding is still a skill, that needs to be always learning, always looking to get better. With the new tech, many riders forget the skill part and then now depend on the tech to bail them out in iffy spots... I'm kinda saying - Skills first: Technology as backup....... as opposed to the opposite that seems to be trending... Technology first: skills second. 

Indian def has some impressive bikes coming out.... 

The idea that electronics and rider aids take away from skill is pretty stupid, especially for street riding. Even if the electronics/abs add just a tiny margin of safety over not having them, it may be the difference between avoiding a situation or getting caught up. On the track, there's an argument to be made for not running TCS/lift control/slide control/abs/etc depending on the feedback the rider is used to/wants from the bike but none of those things should matter on the street. Any advantage you can get to avoid any of the common causes of accidents should be utilized. Staying upright and happy trumps any ego trip from having no built-in safety mechanisms on the bike. 

On that note, I think it's great that Indian is getting into this stuff. Cruisers need to keep up with the times and they seem to have realized this. 

Idk.

I specifically bought a bike with no rider aids.  It's fun for me.

In racing, I think the over the top rider aids like gps-linked fueling and braking profiles for each corner are kind of ridiculous. There's a balance obviously, but I'd rather see the best rider win than see the best tech win.

IMO, the racing in Moto 2 & 3 is usually better than MotoGP, partly because the tech advantage is minimized.

16 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Idk.

I specifically bought a bike with no rider aids.  It's fun for me.

In racing, I think the over the top rider aids like gps-linked fueling and braking profiles for each corner are kind of ridiculous. There's a balance obviously, but I'd rather see the best rider win than see the best tech win.

IMO, the racing in Moto 2 & 3 is usually better than MotoGP, partly because the tech advantage is minimized.

Both Moto3 (Honda & KTM motors) and Moto2 (Triumph motors) all teams are using the same basic build, all they can really change is the chassis. Moto2 uses electronics - Triumph tossed those (to a degree) on the new 765 Daytona they just announced. Both of those classes are built to make the real fast and talented guys claw their way to the top, not just arrive there on a golden chariot so to speak. There are some differences in bike performance based on chassis but you don't get the massive power and handling disparities you see in GP between factory teams/manufacturers and satellite teams running older bikes. The GP bikes themselves would be close to unridable without the electronics they have attached as they barely weigh more than the Moto2 bikes and they make almost twice the horsepower, it's really pretty nuts. 

And like I said, there are rider specific reasons for not wanting electronics active on a bike but the argument that electronics make people worse riders or have less skill is not really relevant. They are becoming a necessity and they will only become more prevalent in the future with full electric bikes. I would not be surprised if manufacturers ended up with one bike model for each riding discipline using the same ECU/electric motor, but you paid to unlock features/more power/etc, kind of like Tesla. 

Edited by what