winter bike ritual

meadeam

48 minutes ago, what said:

If you have a lithium battery you can just unhook it. They dont really need to sit on a tender so long as theres no drain. 

And they actually prefer to be stored in cold temperature as long as they don't freeze.  From what I can find, a charged lithium battery will freeze at -40oF so storage in an unheated garage in Ohio should be fine.

On 10/17/2019 at 5:50 PM, Pauly said:

100% agree. Once the snow flies, it's over until spring. Sometimes the roads have been clear of salt long enough to make a February-quickie happen, but I have a Japanese bike for slumming. 

First off. Easy on that slumming shit. :nono:

Secondly I think my first ride with any of the OR fellas was January or February of 2017. Had a blast running those salt, cinder, and sand covered roads to Hundred and back with you guys. Of course it took about two days to clean all the shit off the bike but totally worth it.  I believe that was the same ride that in a matter of about 3 corners Jim’s taillight completely disappeared on 536. I was amazed how smooth and fast that entire group of riders were. 

Something else to consider that I know doesnt get much attention on street bikes would be to have your suspension serviced. I always send out the suspension on my track bikes every winter to have it gone over, fluids and seals replaced etc....

Not saying a bike that just throws down street miles needs it done every year, but just something to consider. I got my R1 with 12000 miles on it and the fluid in the forks was like mud. 

On 10/19/2019 at 9:55 PM, Jester_ said:

Something else to consider that I know doesnt get much attention on street bikes would be to have your suspension serviced. I always send out the suspension on my track bikes every winter to have it gone over, fluids and seals replaced etc....

Not saying a bike that just throws down street miles needs it done every year, but just something to consider. I got my R1 with 12000 miles on it and the fluid in the forks was like mud. 

Try to do this every off season. After a season of road grime and riding in the wet the suspension and brake fluid look like complete shit. 

• 4 weeks later...

Have we all put 'em up for the winter yet?  I got to ride on Sunday,  then suddenly winter.  I haven't done anything to the FZ yet besides park it.  It has anti-freeze in it though so I'm not feeling like a terrible person yet.

6 minutes ago, meadeam said:

Have we all put 'em up for the winter yet?  I got to ride on Sunday,  then suddenly winter.  I haven't done anything to the FZ yet besides park it.  It has anti-freeze in it though so I'm not feeling like a terrible person yet.

Mine has been taken apart for a few weeks now.

2 hours ago, Pauly said:

Two locked away. One on standby. I am ready for that 62 degree day in February. 

I will be as well.  I do plan to change the oil and coolant, as well as top off the tank.  I may or may not bother with stabilizer and then it's just up on the center stand until we get a warm, salt free day.  I might have the DT smoking by then as well.

IMG-1623.JPG

• Beer 1

46 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

So you locked the duc and the fz away and are going to make the whale brave the salty elements? 

I refuse to believe you will let that duc get any salt near it.

He will only take the Whale out once in the salt.