Track Newb

meadeam

Hello friends, this forum seems to be fairly active with track talk, so I figured it would be a good place to hang around and read all the info I can.  I just got back into riding after a 10 year break, and I have always regretted not riding on the track.  I've decided 2020 is the year for my intro to track,  so I have some time to get my act together and learn what I can before those first events.

I currently ride a 2007 Fz6, and plan to search for a mid-00s R6 for the track.  Unless I am convinced in my research that I really should start out on a less powerful bike.  My ego won't get in the way there; I know there is so much I don't know about track riding, and I know I'm not skilled enough to push a less powerful bike to its limits, let alone the R6.  I know tires are more expensive, having just put a new set of Battlax S22 on my Fazer.   So we'll see how long I stick with the plan to track an R6.  I guess a lot of it will depend on what comes along in the way of a good used bike.  I'd buy a track only bike if a good one comes along; I love my Fazer on the street and wouldn't mind a dedicated track bike.

Anyway, I look forward to all the great info I am sure is here!  I don't know many riders IRL, and none who do track days currently.  If there are other places for good info, let me know.

SV650. I'm biased but it's a good choice.

Can be bought for cheap. Most of the time if you're looking in the right place it will already have some track bits on there.

Cost of ownership is low.

Parts are cheap and everywhere.

Knowledge about these bikes and how to ride them is everywhere.

They are fast enough.

Most of the big bike track day/racers here ride with N2. Hop on and create an account. We have membership sales and track day packages that go on shortly after thanksgiving through the new year.

https://www.n2td.org/

Excellent, I didn't now about N2.  I will check it out!  At a glance, I didn't see any Ohio or Kentucky tracks listed.

The SV650 is probably the logical choice, if less glamorous.   With things being as expensive as they are, I probably will gravitate toward that option.  I guess I'd rather save the money for more time on the track.

11 minutes ago, meadeam said:

Excellent, I didn't now about N2.  I will check it out!  At a glance, I didn't see any Ohio or Kentucky tracks listed.

The SV650 is probably the logical choice, if less glamorous.   With things being as expensive as they are, I probably will gravitate toward that option.  I guess I'd rather save the money for more time on the track.

N2 runs Pittrace, and I think(?) they are affiliated with the org that runs Nelson's now days. Other orgs around the area to look at are Sportbike Track Time, Midwest Track Days, Trackday Winner, Evolve GT and the Mid Ohio PTR program (this track is VERY good-weather-dependent).

An R6 or any 600 should be fine as a starter track bike, an sv650 as Tim mentioned above would also be a great choice. Heck, even your FZ6 would work. Really you can bring just about any street bike to a novice track day and do fine. What bike you're on does impact your lap times, however a capable rider could take a clapped out beater and give people on brand new 1000's the business. Make sure the bike you bring to the track is in good working order but after that focus on improving yourself, that's where the real progress comes from at the track. 👍

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, meadeam said:

The SV650 is probably the logical choice, if less glamorous. 

Let's say, the less musical choice. 

I don't ride track, but I predict that you would miss that high sweet music that the I-4 makes up near redline. 

Run your FZ6 a couple of times before you decide. And remember - The R6 redlines at 16k or above.  😁

I ran an FZ6 for a couple of track days, and as a novice I did not feel it was lacking...but could certainly tell it was not a long term option as my abilities advanced. Then I wrecked it.

But it was a blast those two times and a free way to find out if the track is for you.

Just now, Tonik said:

I ran an FZ6 for a couple of track days, and as a novice I did not feel it was lacking...but could certainly tell it was not a long term option as my abilities advanced. Then I wrecked it.

But it was a blast those two times and a free way to find out if the track is for you.

I may just do this.  It's got brand new rubber on it.  I have it setup with a touring windscreen now, but I could put the stock screen back, or get a racing screen.  And I plan on a set of FZ1 bars, which don't have any rise as compared to the stock bars.  I've put Racetech springs and Gold Valve emulators in it, probably still needs heavier oil for the track though.   It is a quick bike that handles pretty well.  I am currently the limiting factor on what it can do.

7 minutes ago, meadeam said:

I am currently the limiting factor on what it can do.

That is exactly where I was at with it.

Mid-Ohio was awesome for a noob like me. Very structured novice program to keep you out of trouble, get you learning and still put a giant grin on your face.

• Upvote 1

Kentucky your looking at Midwest trackdays at corvette museum. Ohio you have midohio school, lean at Nelson ledges and N2 at Nelson ledges and Pittsburgh. Honestly I would just ride the FZ for a day or 2, hell maybe more. See if you like it. Honestly it's mostly about the people you meet, except for the assholes I hang with.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, blue03636 said:

Kentucky your looking at Midwest trackdays at corvette museum. Ohio you have midohio school, lean at Nelson ledges and N2 at Nelson ledges and Pittsburgh. Honestly I would just ride the FZ for a day or 2, hell maybe more. See if you like it. Honestly it's mostly about the people you meet, except for the assholes I hang with.

haha... yeah, I am looking forward to meeting some people.  With not having ridden for 10 years or so, and my last stint on bikes was out in Seattle, I don't know anybody around here who rides yet.  I've meant to get on the track before and never got around to it.  I ain't getting any younger as they say.  And If I'm going to ride a super-sport bike again, I better do it while I'm still supple enough to fold myself onto one.

On 10/14/2019 at 12:24 PM, what said:

N2 runs Pittrace, and I think(?) they are affiliated with the org that runs Nelson's now days. 

First part is true, but we are not affiliated with LEAN. We just ride with them occasionally to get Nelsons time. We are treated like any other customer for the most part.

N2 runs way more than just PIRC though. 

Edited by TimTheAzn

23 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

First part is true, but we are not affiliated with LEAN. We just ride with them occasionally to get Nelsons time. We are treated like any other customer for the most part.

N2 runs way more than just PIRC though. 

I was commenting on tracks in the immediate Ohio area. Obviously outside this area a bunch of orgs run all kinds of tracks. 

And ok. I didn't know if you guys were affiliated with Lean or EvolveGT at all since I've seen overlap with some of your people/etc from time to time. 

21 minutes ago, what said:

affiliated with Lean or EvolveGT 

No and Hell No. :lol:

Had a partnetshit with EvolveGT. It's no longer a thing. 

Most all of our staff races, and when there are races at nelsons we ride with LEAN because they usually have TD's before the WERA weekends minus the N2/WERA 4hr weekend.

Edited by TimTheAzn