Mental Health Weekend

2talltim

Thanks ya'll. I've need this little trip for a few weeks now. Shit at my job has hit the fan and I've been working so much.(12hrs 6 days a week)Ive literally never been so close to quiting my 23 year job ever. The bike has been packed up and ready to go for over 2 weeks but couldn't get away due to work. I was about to unpack the bike Sunday when my beautiful bride told me to stop and try again this weekend. Even she knew i was at  the end of my rope. Just the slab down through WV tonight was such good wind therapy. Already feel less tension and already getting a zen feeling just being out and about on 2 wheels. Stay at a hotel tonight and will ve hitting "the snake", BRP and other road off of the brp brp tomorrow. Will probably have dinner at Cafe Rel and head to the gap resort where ill camp for 2 nights. As usual ill post pics as the weekend goes.

Hotel breakfast this morning. Went down to the lobby to see what the offerings were and to my surprise everything was completely cleaned out all the bowls dispensers were empty. Another couple sitting in the breakfast area said a group of construction workers cleaned out the breakfast supplies this morning but the hotel attendant said he would be back with some stuff to restock in about a half hour. So I went back to the room took a quick shower went back downstairs. The hotel dude went to Hardees bought probably $100 worth of breakfast sandwiches and biscuits and gravy and set them out for the remaining Hotel guests and apologized for what happends.

Some hotels would have just said fuck it that's all we're putting out but this place went out of their way to make sure the remaining guests got something to eat. So although @Tonik says the Super 8 in Abingdon sucks I highly recommend this place inexpensive decently clean and they take care of their guests even when the unexpected happens.

Funny thing is the construction workers got continental-style breakfast Bagels cereal ect. But we got hot breakfast sandwiches and biscuits and gravy

I would have thought that Tonik would have staid at the high class "Martha Washington Inn & Spa" with his Honda Gold Lodging Card.

I stay in Abingdon, VA. when I ride the Mid Atlantic Back Road discovery route that starts in Damascus, VA.

Nice area.

4 minutes ago, Tonik said:

It's a filthy shithole.

Ive seen way worse. Rooms are VERY clean and updated. But yeah the outside and public areas could use some work. But its $58 for the night with tax after my discount. Not complaining at all.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Ive seen way worse. Rooms are VERY clean and updated. But yeah the outside and public areas could use some work. But its $58 for the night with tax after my discount. Not complaining at all.

So it has been 7 years since I have been there. So perhaps the update was after I was there last.

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

That's the place I've always stayed on my way to Waynesville (taking the long, slow route) and never been disappointed.  Yeah, it's not the Ritz-Carleton, but for $60 it's always been clean and well run.

Got to Deals Gap later than i thought. Hit the new section of the foot hills just after sunset the sky was a brilliant red color.  Had the VIRB camera running hope it caught it. Also was running video on my night run through the dragon. 20 min from the lake to the gap store. Not a bad pace considering how sketchy it is at night. You use a whole different skill set running like that at night. Got here and got my tent set up. Drunk dude next to me passing out bud lights, i ain't mad about it..lol. Not sure tomorrows plan. Proably skyway and maybe cafe rel. They have the season finally of the fidy races at the gap store tomorrow night should be a good show as always. 

Couple more pics of today. Got a bunch on the VIRB camera but didbt bring the laptop. 

20191004_180950.jpg

20191004_171822.jpg

20191004_171314.jpg

20191004_181419.jpg

20191004_181426.jpg

20191004_171040.jpg

• Like 1
  • Beer 1
  • Upvote 2