Unofficial Fall 2019 EPIC Ride POSTPONED TO SUNDAY

Shoop

5 minutes ago, Uncle Punk said:

When riding in a group ride environment is it necessary for the whole group to stay together in a tight group or is it okay for the lead riders to go on ahead and wait for the group to catch up at any turn off or road change?  

Is that a serious question or are you f'ing with us? We have always done it that way afaik.

15 minutes ago, Uncle Punk said:

When riding in a group ride environment is it necessary for the whole group to stay together in a tight group or is it okay for the lead riders to go on ahead and wait for the group to catch up at any turn off or road change?  

You never asked us if it was ok to disappear in front on a street ride. You just did :)

Just now, TimTheAzn said:

You never asked us if it was ok to disappear in front on a street ride. You just did :)

This isn't about me. It's a well established fact that I can't be trusted to act appropriately, it's not that I don't want to act right it's just that I don't understand the difference between the two. 

• Haha 1

Kinda serious about the subject though.

I recently did some group riding and wasn't sure how to react to a situation. It gave me the thought that I might have been acting inappropriately when I rode in groups. This wasn't my ride and I didn't know the entire route but I knew sections of the route. The ride leader stated that if anyone wanted to go faster just go out ahead before the ride started. I have ridden with everyone in the group prior to this except the lead rider so I have a pretty good idea about the pace everyone could ride. Once I figured out the lead riders pace and safety margin he was riding in I passed him on a familiar road. I was certain everyone would follow but that's not what happened. I ended up stopping and letting the group pass, we talked about my pass at the next fuel stop.

The leader relayed to me that he didn't want to separate from the group so he didn't follow when I picked up the pace. We rode the remainder of the day in formation with everyone in a nice tight conga line at the pace dictated by the lead rider.

Have I been pissing people of by ramping up to an uncomfortable pace in groups? The others guys were all capable of a faster pace because I've seen them all ride faster so I'm guessing that they liked the more regimented controlled environment.

Do not read this as a knock on the ride leader, I respect him and his riding ability, he could have rode faster. He was the only person that I can remember calling me out on my bullshit and I appreciate it. Now I'm looking for some real feedback into how groups should behave.

I've always been of the mindset that the faster guys ride their ride and they guys behind them get pulled along. They see what is capable and it gives them some freedom to push that small degree harder since they can see that the bike can handle the quicker pace.  Like they learn from seeing someone ride slightly faster than them, I know that helped me in the past. 

It is the group leaders decision ultimately. He is the leader, you follow his rules or you drop from the group. You should ask at the beginning if you are unclear, although he should have also told you ahead of time.

So, the group leader rules on every OR ride I have been on or heard about are as you describe. Everyone rides at their pace and we will see you at the next turn.

But that is not the norm, most of the rest of the world does the conga line thing. We are special.

• Upvote 1

I always assumed that riding is ultimately a more or less individual activity (outside of 2 up riding which I only do with Pauly in full leather) so even in a group setting, if somebody gets a wild hair up their ass on some particular road or even set of corners they particularly loved, they should go ahead and blow their load and come back when ready.  Ideally, communication is desirable but if they're peeling off vs being left behind, I dont think it matters much.  I haven't ridden with UP in a very long time but I never minded when he hurt my feelings and left me behind like an unwanted stepchild during a ride. 

• Upvote 1

@Uncle Punk, you didn't upset anybody's apple cart. I was comfortable with the pace and sort of expected to sweep, honestly. I only moved up the group because I was waved by. The group did what it does.. we filed into an order of comfort level. I also had no idea where we were going and two of those roads I had never ridden. 

You did nothing wrong in my opinion. This wasn't a newb ride. We are all grown men. 

I was said ride leader. It didn’t start off that way. In discussing a route I rattled of what I typically rode and I was nominated leader. I think it was like a turd in the punch bowl at first since I was the new guy on the scene. I followed it up with if you’re bored feel free to blow by and geared up. When @Uncle Punkblew by on 377 I thought, try to latch on. For just the reason he stated, to learn something. I started to focus on what was ahead and forget about what was behind me. When I lead I have a tendency to watch my mirror to make sure everyone is doing ok. After awhile of trying to catch up to the blur in front of me I checked my rear view and nobody was in sight. I chose to slow down because I saw nothing. I think I even stopped and thought about turning around. The first thing that popped in my mind was somebody had bike issues or went down because the other 3 riders were always in my rear view all day. Truthfully I had a flashback to the day Jim wrecked with me. After our discussion at the gas station, I would be fine in the future with breaking off. I’ve done it before in groups where I knew my pace was above others. I didn’t feel I was faster than anybody I was riding with last week. I can’t speak for any of the guys you’ve rode with in the past UP, but I was by no means pissed or offended. I hope to ride again with you in the future.  I know next time to show up in full leathers with at least some Q3s mounted so I can try to at least keep your tail light in sight when you decide to roll. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

But that is not the norm, most of the rest of the world does the conga line thing. We are special.

I have only rode with OH and CORE so I always assume that's how everyone else does it. It was odd for me to see others that I've rode with adjust to a different type of group ride.

39 minutes ago, durk said:

I was said ride leader. It didn’t start off that way. In discussing a route I rattled of what I typically rode and I was nominated leader. I think it was like a turd in the punch bowl at first since I was the new guy on the scene. I followed it up with if you’re bored feel free to blow by and geared up. When @Uncle Punkblew by on 377 I thought, try to latch on. For just the reason he stated, to learn something. I started to focus on what was ahead and forget about what was behind me. When I lead I have a tendency to watch my mirror to make sure everyone is doing ok. After awhile of trying to catch up to the blur in front of me I checked my rear view and nobody was in sight. I chose to slow down because I saw nothing. I think I even stopped and thought about turning around. The first thing that popped in my mind was somebody had bike issues or went down because the other 3 riders were always in my rear view all day. Truthfully I had a flashback to the day Jim wrecked with me. After our discussion at the gas station, I would be fine in the future with breaking off. I’ve done it before in groups where I knew my pace was above others. I didn’t feel I was faster than anybody I was riding with last week. I can’t speak for any of the guys you’ve rode with in the past UP, but I was by no means pissed or offended. I hope to ride again with you in the future.  I know next time to show up in full leathers with at least some Q3s mounted so I can try to at least keep your tail light in sight when you decide to roll. 

I loved the route and would like to get on the two new to me roads again and I can't wait to show them to new people, Thanks.

I would ride with you any time and honestly think you are capable of riding the same pace I ride with one exception and that is corner exit drive. That could be you just keeping the pace down to a mild roar. Another observation is more of a mindset thing since you have mentioned it more that once, in my opinion you don't need a sportbike or track tires to ride a fun pace on the street. I ride an "adventure" bike that has sport touring tires with enough pace to keep it fun. I run almost the exact same pace regardless of the bike I am riding once used to the bike. I rode sportbikes for years and we all really under utilize them on the street.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Uncle Punk said:

I would ride with you any time and honestly think you are capable of riding the same pace I ride with one exception and that is corner exit drive. That could be you just keeping the pace down to a mild roar. Another observation is more of a mindset thing since you have mentioned it more that once, in my opinion you don't need a sportbike or track tires to ride a fun pace on the street. I ride an "adventure" bike that has sport touring tires with enough pace to keep it fun. I run almost the exact same pace regardless of the bike I am riding once used to the bike. I rode sportbikes for years and we all really under utilize them on the street.

Thanks for the feedback. Leathers and tires were really meant to be a joke. I’m hesitant to try something other than a sportbike. It’s all I’ve ever rode and feel it would be odd to be on anything else. At some point my reconstructed ACL knee won’t be able to tolerate the CBR but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. 

12 hours ago, durk said:

Thanks for the feedback. Leathers and tires were really meant to be a joke. I’m hesitant to try something other than a sportbike. It’s all I’ve ever rode and feel it would be odd to be on anything else. At some point my reconstructed ACL knee won’t be able to tolerate the CBR but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. 

There are plenty of non-SS's that are more than capable. Take a look at some FZ1's!

17 hours ago, durk said:

You are there. My Z1000 awaits your call. This will help you transition onto a ADV bike down the road.

I went 25 years with (Clip-On's & Rear Sets) then I got married at 47yo in 2004 with a new (sit up, bark like a dog V-Strom) and never went back. I did miss the inline four motor and picked up the 2013 Z1000 for kicks and had to raise the bars, lower the pegs and get a gel seat. I think I am ready to will the Z to you for a good price.

2 hours ago, B-Mac said:

You are there. My Z1000 awaits your call. This will help you transition onto a ADV bike down the road.

I went 25 years with (Clip-On's & Rear Sets) then I got married at 47yo in 2004 with a new (sit up, bark like a dog V-Strom) and never went back. I did miss the inline four motor and picked up the 2013 Z1000 for kicks and had to raise the bars, lower the pegs and get a gel seat. I think I am ready to will the Z to you for a good price.

I’m not ready to give up the CBR. Even though it’s 13yrs old with 52k and sports EBay plastic the bike was basically my dream bike when my wife grounded me from riding. I love the look of the thing and the fact that there is all kinds of power there. I rode Jim’s Z when I bought it and it just didn’t push all the buttons for me. Besides if you sell the Z what are you going to ride when we ride together? 

1 hour ago, durk said:

I’m not ready to give up the CBR. Even though it’s 13yrs old with 52k and sports EBay plastic the bike was basically my dream bike when my wife grounded me from riding. I love the look of the thing and the fact that there is all kinds of power there. I rode Jim’s Z when I bought it and it just didn’t push all the buttons for me. Besides if you sell the Z what are you going to ride when we ride together? 

I will ride my DL1000 V-Strom. It's getting harder and harder to find riders with my grumpy old man pain in the ass disposition that like to rip gravel, catch air on the chip/seal back roads and blast the asphalt connectors on Adventure Rides. So I may just sell the Z1K and re-mod the Strom into a sport tour-ish old man bike to ride around  with my Hemorrhoid face.

If you remember my first ride with you was on the Strom. Jim was leading.

PS: I miss Jim's rides.

https://youtu.be/C_lXMqHkPrw

https://youtu.be/AHtZPBA4t4o

Edited by B-Mac

3 hours ago, B-Mac said:

If you remember my first ride with you was on the Strom. Jim was leading.

PS: I miss Jim's rides.

https://youtu.be/C_lXMqHkPrw

https://youtu.be/AHtZPBA4t4o

How could I forget that day? That was the fastest group ride I had ever been on up to that point and I had a blast. We’ll get together again and try to recreate your rides with Jim. 

• Casper unpinned this topic