Unofficial Fall 2019 EPIC Ride POSTPONED TO SUNDAY

Shoop

2 hours ago, Iggy said:

Yeah got her home without any problem just bummed that I couldn't continue with you guys. 

Didn't go to Iron pony yet, need to figure out what tire I want on there, also was thinking to get a tad wider tire, theoretically should do better in a curve?

What do you ride? Typically a taller tire 55 vs 60 will give you more of a safety net lean angle wise, not going from a 180 to a 190 (which may or may not be possible depending on the tire manufacture/bike.)

2 hours ago, Iggy said:

was thinking to get a tad wider tire, theoretically should do better in a curve?

And it's a tire thread!

A wider tire will be slower to tip in. Change to a wider tire may also make the bike "push" and not corner as well.

I am going to go with the Aussie engineers that picked your tire size know the geometry of the bike better than a bunch of asshats on Ohio Riders.

15 minutes ago, Tonik said:

And it's a tire thread!

A wider tire will be slower to tip in. Change to a wider tire may also make the bike "push" and not corner as well.

I am going to go with the Aussie engineers that picked your tire size know the geometry of the bike better than a bunch of asshats on Ohio Riders.

I run a 180 wheel and tire on a bike that should have a 160 :)

22 minutes ago, Tonik said:

And it's a tire thread!

Um, it's Ossie for Oestericher. The Aussies are all down under. The Aussies wouldn't be picky about tire specs anyway, they'd find a way to make it work. 

• Beer 1

Unless you're having trouble finding a good tire in the stock size or you have a specific application of using a non-stock size in mind I would stick with what the manufacturer recommends. 

There should be a decent selection of 160 tires available from most tire manufacturers and 150/160 is listed as stock for your bike. 

21 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

Austrie engineers? 

Didn't you see those badass bikes on MadMax? :lol:

Oh, now I get it. I don't think that's a nickname that the guys from Mattighoffen use for themselves.

Edited by Shoop

The connie calls for a 190/50 i like to run a 190/55 tips in way easier, the spedo is more correct and make the bike taller so I hit hard parts less. Down side is technially smaller contact patch(but don't really notice) and they wear out quicker.  

34 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

The connie calls for a 190/50 i like to run a 190/55 tips in way easier, the spedo is more correct and make the bike taller so I hit hard parts less. Down side is technially smaller contact patch(but don't really notice) and they wear out quicker.  

Contact patches technically never change size, just shape

• Upvote 1

I ride ktm duke 390 with tire 150/60/17, was thinking to bump it up to 160. It's not hard to find same spec tire just thought it might do better. Also is it normal for tire to wear out completely after 4k miles?  But then again I'm a heavy set dude lol 😮

20191014_103318_HDR.jpg

Edited by Iggy

22 minutes ago, Iggy said:

I ride ktm duke 390 with tire 150/60/17, was thinking to bump it up to 160. It's not hard to find same spec tire just thought it might do better. Also is it normal for tire to wear out completely after 4k miles?  But then again I'm a heavy set dude lol 😮

20191014_103318_HDR.jpg

My tracer burnt through the stock rear in less than 3500 miles. 

1 hour ago, motocat12 said:

Contact patches technically never change size, just shape

You sure? I'm not saying i know this for sure. But one would think a tire with a steeper curve  vs one with less curve would have slightly less contact patch. With everything else being equal ofcourse.

A over kill example would be a moto tire vs a car tire. they can be the same size but obviously the car tire will have more contact patch. 

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

You sure? I'm not saying i know this for sure. But one would think a tire with a steeper curve  vs one with less curve would have slightly less contact patch. With everything else being equal ofcourse.

A over kill example would be a moto tire vs a car tire. they can be the same size but obviously the car tire will have more contact patch. 

I think it is more accurate to say the friction/grip of a tire does not change when the contact patch size changes.

Physics.

1 minute ago, Tonik said:

I think it is more accurate to say the friction/grip of a tire does not change when the contact patch size changes.

Physics.

This could be why I've never noticed a difference with my assumption. And the faster wear could just be because I'm running it harder because i'm not having to force the bike to turn as  much.  

21 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Physics.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your statement, grip level absolutely changes depending on the size of the contact patch. More rubber to the road you get more grip. That's one of the main reasons for trail braking.

What pressures were you running on that rear and how much highway do you ride?

5 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding your statement, grip level absolutely changes depending on the size of the contact patch. More rubber to the road you get more grip. That's one of the main reasons for trail braking.

What pressures were you running on that rear and how much highway do you ride?

No trail braking has to do with weight transfer. More weight = more friction 

12 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Grip is the friction between the tire and the road. The friction is based on pounds per inch. More area equals less pounds per inch but the overall pounds per inch is a constant. Math and physics are very clear in this.

Trail braking is to preload the front tire. You have to load the tire before you work the tire. You are putting more weight on the front before you turn hard.

• Casper unpinned this topic