Google Fi

Tonik

Have Verizon too... Getting expensive... Got a phone and a tablet... cant bitch about the service, but effe the monthly bill. 

Waht are other choices.... (I wont do Google anything extra.. Chrome is it only.) 

Edited by mello dude

I tried Fi for 30 days.  Compared to Sprint it was an improvement which makes sense because it's 3 (Sprint, T-Mo and  USC) carriers bundled together.    The deal killer was the fact that it there is no signal where I work.  They only have Verizon repeaters installed.  The alternative was to camp out on corporate guest Wifi all day long but I wasn't excited about being monitored. Google VPN wasn't reliable and 3rd party VPN was a pain in the ass.  .  It wasn't riding season yet so I didn't get to test it outside of the metro area.  I'm guessing Verizon would win there.  I'll deal with it until I change jobs.

I also looked at the MVNOs.  They were cheaper but they had restrictions like data caps, speed caps or other issues that made them less attractive.

I left Verizon when I retired. Using Google Fi. Pixel3 is a winner. Black Friday price with a rebate. Didn't pay usage fees for a year. Using it only at home on wifi mostly. If I'm out somewhere and bored, I kick on the access, and I haven't yet run into a lack of coverage. I understand the limitations I might run into, but haven't seen them. There are a surprisingly large number of free wifi access. Sometimes have to ask the guest password. The object was to dump a minimum coverage of $60 from Verizon, and cut costs to $20 with Google Fi. With usage rollover, and pay for data as you use it without penalties. And so far no throttling of anything. All the usual, free unlimited phone and text, and the phone works world wide.

And I hacked my old Verizon DroidX to work wifi and text on the Verizon image. Verizon killed the ability to use the phone without their service, with their last update. Not that I couldn't hack the hackers with yet another way around it, but I lost interest. An old phone can have quite a few capabilities and uses.

So yes, I think Google Fi is a bargain and works well for me.

edit: the old Verizon phone wouldn't even work with wifi phone dialer apps. As soon as the phone sees you dialing, it switches you to a Verizon operator who asks you for money. I sorta kinda hate them.

edit deux: There is an option with Google Fi for one or two free SIMM cards. For your tablet or computer, but I suppose it would work in a SIMM phone. Data usage goes on your existing account. Oh, and tethering is free too. So I can run a Waze map on a tablet in the car, and use the phone for other. Which I never do, I just run the Waze on the phone like everyone else.

Edited by ReconRat

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 8:55 PM, Tonik said:

Anyone using it? Verizon just seriously pissed me off.

On 9/24/2019 at 9:19 PM, 2talltim said:

Verizon's been pissing me off for two decades. But still the best service no matter where I go.

So Verizon finally did something pretty nice for me. I recently switched to the unlimited plan(damn kids) and one of the reasons I decided to is because with 5 lines they offer $10 off per line with auto pay. No problem! I already have auto pay. That actually made my bill less than before. Well got my first bill for the new plan...and....no discount. So obviously i was initally pissed. Go on the Verizon online chat and come to find out that discount only applies to auto pay with Debit or Checking accounts.(it said right on the term that I missed) mine was set up on credit card.  So really "my bad" for not catching it. The person say "no problem, well give you a $50 credit this on this months bill an that will give you time to change your payment method for next months" also they issued at $50 devise credit to my account for my troubles and misunderstanding. So with customer service like that I don;t mind paying the slightly higher prices.