Recommendation for a moto mechanic NEO

CBBaron

3 hours ago, CBBaron said:

So it looks like the chain adjuster in my DRZ400SM is seized. I'm not having any luck getting it loose. 

I'm probably going to need the bolt cut off, drilled out and retapped. Anybody know a shop that could do this?

Making a guess,, dunno what it looks like....  but loosen axle and maybe pull off rear wheel,  pull off and shit can the siezed adjustor, install a new one? 

(how hard could it be?)

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/2016/dr-z400sml6/rear-wheel

Edited by mello dude

10 hours ago, mello dude said:

Making a guess,, dunno what it looks like....  but loosen axle and maybe pull off rear wheel,  pull off and shit can the siezed adjustor, install a new one? 

(how hard could it be?)

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/2016/dr-z400sml6/rear-wheel

If only it were that simple. 

The bolt seen in the picture below will not turn in the swing arm. 

The only replacement would be the entire swingarm. Partzilla says thats about $1000. I hoping for a less drastic solution.

2019-09-16.jpg

Edited by CBBaron

Did you try taking the wheel off and getting a socket on there instead of a wrench (may be too late for that looking at the nut, also cant tell if theres enough room to get a socket on there).

I'm assuming you've tried something like PBBlaster and heat.

Could worst comes to worst tack a socket onto that nut and let er rip. 

• Upvote 2

Wheel off and all the other stuff in the area, socket as mentioned above but heat the area around where the bolt goes in. Don't need to get it red hot, and you shouldn't. But a decent amount of heat from a hand held blow torch should get it to move.

1 hour ago, CBBaron said:

So I'm hearing I need heat. 

Yea, I mangled the head pretty bad with a box end wrench aleady. Probably can get a socket with extension on the nut. I think I need to tack weld the nut first as it still moves on the bolt. 

Or hammer on a slightly smaller sized socket. You probably wont get that socket back though.

Got the bolt out of the swingarm last night. 

Picked up a bolt extractor from Lowes on the way home. That and soaking in PB Blaster overnight seemed to do the trick. I found the weep hole in the swing arm and was able to hit the back side of the threads with PB Blaster.

Waiting on replacement parts then will install with anti-seize :D

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, CBBaron said:

Got the bolt out of the swingarm last night. 

Picked up a bolt extractor from Lowes on the way home. That and soaking in PB Blaster overnight seemed to do the trick. I found the weep hole in the swing arm and was able to hit the back side of the threads with PB Blaster.

Waiting on replacement parts then will install with anti-seize :D

Yay! Love that PB Blaster super shit, made in Cleveland.. 

Just a thought.. you may want to take a thread chaser to the swingarm, just to be safe. If you do not have a thread chaser, then you can use a tap, but turn it by hand and only with some thin oil. Then blow out the threaded aluminum with compressed air. 

Edited by Pauly
  • Upvote 1

On 9/17/2019 at 1:19 PM, Pauly said:

Just a thought.. you may want to take a thread chaser to the swingarm, just to be safe. If you do not have a thread chaser, then you can use a tap, but turn it by hand and only with some thin oil. Then blow out the threaded aluminum with compressed air. 

Well I already ran a tap through it after I got the bolt out. Hopefully that didn't screw up the threads. :(