First time for everything, right?

DogBoss

29 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

This would be a discussion too lengthy for the average OR member's attention span--and pain threshold. Suffice it to say that there is always something substantial lost without the physical presence of grad students in a room working together and discussing course content. This is where the true learning takes place. Writing a solid master's thesis is just proof that one has achieved mastery of the course content comprising the degree requirements.

I will take that as a no to my question. Follow up question:

Do you think a brick and mortar education is factually more valuable, or are you just subconsciously defending the value of your profession?

Unfortunately we may have to dismiss your answer as it too may be subconsciously influenced.

3 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Do you think a brick and mortar education is factually more valuable, or are you just subconsciously defending the value of your profession?

Unfortunately we may have to dismiss your answer as it too may be subconsciously influenced.

1) after graduation, I received the union-prescribed initial step raise: $5k/year. Since then, another $15k/year was added. I am now at the top tier, but will be retiring soon.

2) no, my Hiram master's did not earn me more than a master's from another school. My intention was a quality education vs. a sheepskin from an average school and a lackluster education.

I did my bachelor's mostly brick and mortar with a little online mixed in. I did my MBA 100% online. The quality of education really is different. My bachelor's degree took way more work than my MBA. I finished my MBA in 18 months taking one class at a time (all my job would pay for) and I pretty much only did school work on Monday and Thursday nights. Unlike @SpecialEd, I didn't really care about the "quality" of education since I didn't need the degree to do my job, I just needed it to check the box on my resume for MBA and make me more eligible to promote past my current level. My program was cheap (free since my employer covered it), quick, and it was fairly easy, though I've always been able to coast through schooling. To each their own, but online education can be good or bad, it's all about what you make of it. In my entire college career I never once read a full chapter in a book, online or at a campus, so I'm not sure there's a ton of dofference. 

3 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I hate to go off topic here and talk about motorcycles...but did you ever get your bike done?

My God, Jim, I'm amazed that you even remember this project!

It was promised to me "this summer," but the builder is still "wrapping it up." Many of the parts are JDM, so there is more time involved sourcing them from overseas: swing arm from G' Craft, fenders, oil cooler, aftermarket speedo/tach, etc. 

Hoping to get some break-in miles on it before the snow flies. Just sent the builder $3k to cover parts--the first payment I have sent him since the project began in 2016. This is a ridiculous amount of time to wait for this bike, but I want it to be perfect. I would love to ride with you guys once it's done--provided the ride is a scenic one and not a 90+ mph romp.

4 minutes ago, Killer_kaw said:

@SpecialEd 42 weeks at UTI and you could gain the knowledge to get that bike on the road. Maybe then you and @Tonik could take a weekend trip and consummate that relationship 

Half the time if he does it online.

https://penn-foster.com/diploma/automotive/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwuNbsBRC-ARIsAAzITuf_AsZrZqIt_C4YCvjmwxBpAcBhjOFFKqezKXqApl62qRB9QZ2at04aAjTcEALw_wcB

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

My God, Jim, I'm amazed that you even remember this project!

It was promised to me "this summer," but the builder is still "wrapping it up." Many of the parts are JDM, so there is more time involved sourcing them from overseas: swing arm from G' Craft, fenders, oil cooler, aftermarket speedo/tach, etc. 

Hoping to get some break-in miles on it before the snow flies. Just sent the builder $3k to cover parts--the first payment I have sent him since the project began in 2016. This is a ridiculous amount of time to wait for this bike, but I want it to be perfect. I would love to ride with you guys once it's done--provided the ride is a scenic one and not a 90+ mph romp.

My memory of inane details is weird, happens a lot. Perhaps we can do a fall tour of the closed or soon to be closed U of P locations.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Steve Butters said:

I did my bachelor's mostly brick and mortar with a little online mixed in. I did my MBA 100% online. The quality of education really is different. My bachelor's degree took way more work than my MBA. I finished my MBA in 18 months taking one class at a time (all my job would pay for) and I pretty much only did school work on Monday and Thursday nights. Unlike @SpecialEd, I didn't really care about the "quality" of education since I didn't need the degree to do my job, I just needed it to check the box on my resume for MBA and make me more eligible to promote past my current level. My program was cheap (free since my employer covered it), quick, and it was fairly easy, though I've always been able to coast through schooling. To each their own, but online education can be good or bad, it's all about what you make of it. In my entire college career I never once read a full chapter in a book, online or at a campus, so I'm not sure there's a ton of dofference. 

Wow. This discussion could go on and on . . .

The debate over rate of return vis-a-vis the cost of college has gone viral. Steve, I TOTALLY get what you're saying--you were able to punch the requirement for an MBA without spending $50,000 doing it. There's a lot of merit in your situation! In my estimation, there are many students who should not even go to college. They will end up making substantially more than I did the first few years of my teaching career oh, and will have spent next to nothing on trade school to get there. 

Butters, you will learn more on the job than you ever would have in a good school pursuing your MBA as a grad student, but your degree got you "in," and that's worth a hell of a lot.

Edited by SpecialEd

7 minutes ago, Tonik said:

My memory of inane details is weird, happens a lot. Perhaps we can do a fall tour of the closed or soon to be closed U of P locations.

There would be nobody attending that ride except you and I; and you would likely bail . . . understandably.

Edited by SpecialEd

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

How many people bribe to get their kids into online colleges?

2 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

How many people bribe to get their kids into online colleges?

Answer: none. However, online degrees are often legitimate. Those universities that provide career education are catering to people who are currently employed and need continuing education in order to advance in their career. Just a matter of supply and demand, combined with a course schedule working people can deal with.

• 4 months later...