Fuel pump issues continue

durk

So I replaced my pump yet again the other day. Initial test seemed good, but today after a 150 mile loop. I still have issues. If I roll on everything works fine, but if I grab a handful it bogs out and then it will come in fine at times, but often just to stumble again as the bike makes its way through the RPMs. If I start from 1st gear and get after it and keep the RPMs up the bike seems to run fine. There is also surging, an almost pulsation of power at times. When holding throttle steady you can feel power come in and out. The bike acted like this years back and when I replaced the whole fuel pump assembly with a used EBay pump. After the swap everything was good. Then last year I had problems again. I purchased a highflow pump which was just the pump essentially and a new filter. I was concerned about the regulator, but highflow doesn’t have the regulator for my pump. I’m thinking the regulator is jacked. 

I created the post to essentially ask if anybody knows if a bad regulator could cause my issues. Any thoughts?

Had similar issues years ago with a used zrx I bought. This may not apply to a fuel injected bike though. Carbed bikes are strictly gravity fed.  The vent in the cap was plugged and it locked everything up. Cracking the cap loose let it run just fine. Might be worth a try if your tank isn’t slam full of gas. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, max power said:

Sounds electrical to me.  Maybe a sensor fuckin up causing incorrect readings making fuel delivery erratic.  

48 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Can't diagnose a thing without pics of the spark plugs.

I decided to bite the bullet and buy a new OEM fuel pump. It comes as a whole unit, regulator and all. The bike is doing the exact thing it did the first time I had problems with a fuel pump. The pump was even making a horrible whine yesterday at initial prime after my ride. Today after sitting the pump sounded fine when I cycled the key. I’m thinking the regulator is jacked since I just put a new pump in. It’s a costly part to replace, but the whine to me is a known issue and I want to eliminate it as a possible problem. If I have any problems after this I will start looking elsewhere. Thanks gentlemen for your input. 

11 hours ago, durk said:

I decided to bite the bullet and buy a new OEM fuel pump. It comes as a whole unit, regulator and all. The bike is doing the exact thing it did the first time I had problems with a fuel pump. The pump was even making a horrible whine yesterday at initial prime after my ride. Today after sitting the pump sounded fine when I cycled the key. I’m thinking the regulator is jacked since I just put a new pump in. It’s a costly part to replace, but the whine to me is a known issue and I want to eliminate it as a possible problem. If I have any problems after this I will start looking elsewhere. Thanks gentlemen for your input. 

I do remember you saying your hiflo pump didn't come with a regulator and mine did. Maybe that is the difference.