Best time for a late season gap trip ?????

Killer_kaw

Thinking of taking off sometime for a 2 night trip down south. Never been there after August.  Probably watch the weather and go short notice so that won’t be an issue. Just wanna avoid the minivan season. Not sure when that is. 

Mid-October to early November is prime fall color/minivan/RV season. If you go during that time it really isn't that bad except for on the BRP. You will need heated gear during that time also, it is cold in the mornings and at elevation. It is really beautiful if you catch it at the right time.

If you don't care about the colors then early October or before would be the time to go. You might see some good color that time of the year at elevation, it changes sooner.

• Upvote 1

I'll agree with :asshat:

The actual gap area isnt bad at all during those color times. Most of the mini vans stick to the NP or BRP. Although a couple year ago the BRP wasnttoo bad except for around the Linville Viaduct area but the color we seen in that little traffic back up made it worth while I think. 

Keep us posted on any plans. I said i wanted to squeeze a extra trip out this year. As long as it's not a weekend my kid has a school event and I can get my work counterparts to cover me a saturday I might be interested. 

as Tonik said late September/early Oct seems to be almost ideal because it's the end of riding season for many and the leaf peepers aren't out in force yet. I'd be interested also depending on the timing.

Edited by ScubaCinci

40 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Keep us posted on any plans.

Will do. 

18 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

dirt bike with an identity crisis. 

May fall into this description

25 minutes ago, Pauly said:

I have heated gear and a motorcycle. 

Guessing I otta look int this heated gear stuff. Suggestions?

1 hour ago, Killer_kaw said:

Will do. 

May fall into this description

Guessing I otta look int this heated gear stuff. Suggestions?

California Heat is the new king of this product type. Any other suggestions you may receive are wrong and out of date. IP has it, their prices are good on it. Not many discounts on heated gear.

• Upvote 1

Also, I highly suggest you get a jacket liner and gloves...and get a dual controller so you can control each individually. My gloves are usually set pretty high and the jacket liner is set lower. If I had a single control either my hands would be cold or I would be roasting in the jacket. The gloves plug into the jacket liner making it pretty easy to hook it all up.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Tonik said:

And make sure the jacket liner is pretty snug, it doesn't create heated air around you...hit heats you through direct contact.

I’ll check that stuff out. Looks like all the heated gear is a big investment. Been rolling in the cold weather with insulated icon raiden jacket/pants and UA base layer guess an upgrade wouldn’t hurt. At least gloves and jacket liner. 

@Killer_kaw...I have never used my heated gear. I have a Gerbings jacket liner, G3(?) gloves and a dual-pot controller. My el-cheapo Survivor suit is quite nice in the cold. It has a full quilted liner, but also never used that. I use Under Armour Cold Gear compression pants and shirt and this base layer does the most good. I prefer thin layers to bulky gear. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pauly said:

@Killer_kaw...I have never used my heated gear. I have a Gerbings jacket liner, G3(?) gloves and a dual-pot controller. My el-cheapo Survivor suit is quite nice in the cold. It has a full quilted liner, but also never used that. I use Under Armour Cold Gear compression pants and shirt and this base layer does the most good. I prefer thin layers to bulky gear. 

Bulkyness is why I love my heated gear. Layers are bulky. I can go down to the mid 20s with just my tour jacket and heated liner and gloves. Later in the day when it warms up,  liner off and vents open.

3 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

This.  I've never even considered buying heated gear.

Even layered up, there were some mornings I was questioning myself why I was rolling down 83 on a motorcycle early in the morning while it was cold and foggy to meat up with a bunch of hooligans.

Cuz it was worth it!

Edited by TimTheAzn

8 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Even layered up, there were some mornings I was questioning myself why I was rolling down 83 on a motorcycle early in the morning while it was cold and foggy to meat up with a bunch of hooligans.

Cuz it was worth it!

My cutoff is about 38 degrees.  Below that too much risk of ice in low lying areas or the road surface being below freezing.

My normal gear does fine in those temps with under armor and a sweatshirt. 

Edited by Tpoppa
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

My cutoff is about 38 degrees.  Below that too much risk of ice in low lying areas or the road surface being below freezing.

My normal gear does fine in those temps with under armor and a sweatshirt. 

As I've gotten older, my tolerance for cold weather riding has gone down.

6 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Bulkyness is why I love my heated gear. Layers are bulky. I can go down to the mid 20s with just my tour jacket and heated liner and gloves. Later in the day when it warms up,  liner off and vents open.

Base layer. Thermal shirt. T-shirt. Remove as needed.