Hydraulic clutch question

Steve Butters

So for 11k miles I've been riding with my adjustable clutch lever on setting #3/6....today though, the bike grinded slightly going into first gear from neutral leaving a light and then the next light it wouldn't go into gear at all... I kicked it hard 3-4 times and it went. Tried again at next light and same thing. Pulled over and clicked my lever to setting #4/6 (longer pull) and it works flawlessly again. I don't like the extra length though, the clutch doesn't disengage where I'm used to.... I'm just curious what could cause the lever to need adjusted after several years of no issues. Has this happened to anyone? Maybe the lever is wearing out? 

The longer throw on the lever will push the masters piston deeper in the cylinder. Giving a bigger push. Could just be old fluid. Have you changed it before? The slave is probably getting gummed up. If the fluid doesn’t work pop the slave out and clean it up. 

I know my cbr clutch fluid is to be inspected every 4K and changed every 12k. I have never had trouble with it going into gear. I flush it every 12k. The bike now has 50k. I feel for you every time you post about your bike giving you issues. You and Andy are really hurting my Honda love. 

4 hours ago, Steve Butters said:

Thanks guys.... Sounds like I will start with fluid and go from there. It's a 2012 with 12k miles and original fluid. Sounds like it's due. 

Its more than due... .its overdue..... Kinda leads to the brakes too... been changed and flushed? 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Yeah... the Hyper has the lightest cable clutch I have uver used. Am a fan.  

For dem one finger clutch ups.

Also the brake fluid if you havent already. I change mine about 2 times a year.

Edited by TimTheAzn

8 hours ago, Pauly said:

Would this feel like a very late clutch engagement? Two rides ago, the Whale had a "sluggish?" clutch. Yesterday it was fine. 

What I experienced when it happened was the clutch not fully engaging until it had been released for awhile. Awhile being a few seconds....I would have completely let it off and it was still slipping a bit...then it would fully engaged.

Only happened when it was first started up. If I let it sit for five minutes at idle when first started it would be fine.

All of this was over in a day, I tore it down in a parking lot in Austin and cleaned it up.

It is VERY noticable when it happens.

20 minutes ago, Pauly said:

It doesn't seem to be slipping, but the lever felt very disconnected from what was happening...like a poorly dubbed Chinese film. Things weren't happening in synchrony. 

It's probably user error.................. :trollface:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...