Posting rides these days?

NinjaDoc

Yes I wish more people would post rides once in a while. To keep the community inspired and glued together. I wish I had the same energy and enthusiasm as 10 yrs ago. But I drank the cool aid of just showing up and following and it’s sweet and less stressful sleep better ride better. ( I am happy @Tonik got a break last ride, I was encouraging him to just experience this seeing how much he was burning energy during gap trip hauling us all around. You earned & deserve this break)  

When you look at it, Right now there are only about 20ish active riders who are consistently riding here to actually form group rides with it. That’s it. Every year the number slowly dwindle down. Heck I even feel the whole motorcycling community numbers are down. These days I see less and less sports bike on the road when we go for a group ride. I am thinking less of the new gen folks are picking up riding as a hobby because of the inherent risks involved. Statistically dangerous than even sky diving. 

If people want group rides, then they should post them. It is really that simple. Why is it on "the regulars" to do all the work. Let the newbs pick up some of the slack. Nobody here is a mind reader. There are lots of forums for riding, too. Maybe OR.net has outlived its usefulness?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Pauly said:

If people want group rides, then they should post them. It is really that simple. Why is it on "the regulars" to do all the work. Let the newbs pick up some of the slack. Nobody here is a mind reader. There are lots of forums for riding, too. Maybe OR.net has outlived its usefulness?

Facebook killed what I thought was a really great forum: BeginnerBikers.org

Posts have slowed to a trickle--maybe 10 per week from what was once maybe 10 times that--and this happened over the past two years! Many posts there now address only the fact that they are withering away; very little discussion of bikes and riding. 

Also, I think Nivin is right. The new younger generations coming up have failed to embrace motorcycling as a hobby or sport. Harley Davidson's lackluster sales seem to bear this out.

Edited by SpecialEd

11 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

CORE was a forum of sport bike riders that started sometime in the late 90's.  I joined around 2000.  We honestly never cared how fast anyone could ride.  We asked everyone to stay within there own limits and waited at every turn for the group to reform.  There were some VERY skilled riders and the rides were well organized.  The ride rules were discussed online and at the meet spot.  There was a "core" group of about 20 riders that rode most weekends the weather cooperated.  At first the rides pretty much followed  "The Pace"  but as people's skills grew the rides got progressively hotter (while still following established pre-ride rules) especially considering the bikes, equipment, and tires we had in those days.  The rides were typically 400-500 miles days at a hot pace with just a few short gas stops.  Everyone knew everyone and the rides were great fun, until...

CORE got a reputation as bunch of "fast guys" on the street.  We suddenly had lots and lots of new people showing up to rides, which was good and bad.  We met some new skilled riders, but more often we met people with lots of ego and less skill.  We would give new guys the "CORE speech," ask them to take it easy and have them ride in the back with a skilled sweep watching to see how they were doing.  We tried to "coach" new guys.  Some of the new guys fit right in, some were asked to tone it down,  some were asked to leave rides and not come back...unfortunately we had a flurry new guys crash that were trying to prove themselves to the group.  We tried a few things...

• Group rides were broken into A & B groups.  New people had to ride in B until an A vouched for them.  That didn't always work.
  • We only let new people join certain "learning" rides, that were held once every month or 2.   Most of the "real" rides were private or just not posted.

...Inevitably all the rides became private.  The "core" members still rode frequently and the rides were still great fun.  The pace we rode just wasn't good for adding new people unless they were level headed with lots of skill (that disqualified about 98%).  And that's how CORE operated for years.  Over time people moved, had family responsibilities, stopped attending group rides, etc until CORE ceased to exist out of attrition.  Some of us are still around...

Replace all the CORE words with OR ..sound familiar? Exactly what is happening here. 

13 hours ago, Pauly said:

I don't post rides because nobody shows up, anyway. 

I'll admit I can't always come but that is due to my shitty work schedule and rides always seem to be on Saturdays. The rare Saturday I am available it's usually a last min thing if I can do something. Like this Saturday. I literally didn't know till 4pm Friday if I had to work Saturday morning. At that time I checked out the forums and FB groups and seen nothing. I text a couple local bubbys to see if they could ride, no love. So Saturday morning I took off on my own and did a wonderful 270 miles of SEO roads. Would have been nice to have someone share this with but it was what it was still had a good time. 

41 minutes ago, Pauly said:

If people want group rides, then they should post them. It is really that simple. 

I can't plan rides for the  same reason I can't commit to others planned rides. My shit job. But it's nice to jump in the rare occasion when I can. Think every group ride I've joined in the last 2 years was a last min thing for me. Most of the time I just show up.  

53 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

Also, I think Nivin is right. The new younger generations coming up have failed to embrace motorcycling as a hobby or sport. Harley Davidson's lackluster sales seem to bear this out.

Motorcycling is becoming more and more of a poser thing. People worry more about what they or their bikes look like instead of the function and or utilitarian purpose, or just fucking riding them. I see it all the time in various FB groups I'm in, even on here. "why did you put that big ugly box on your bike?"...."because I ride it fucker, and not looking for an excuse not to". People have all the excuses. Can't ride long because my ass hurts(but don't want to put that big "ugly" seat on). Can't ride because I have nowhere to put things(adding luggage is hideous) Too hot..too cold...too wet(but i look so GQ in my race leathers) Every excuse.  

Also see post on FB of people patting themselves on the back because they did some big 100mile ride that weekend,. Me too, then I got gas and did it 2 or 3 more times before i went home. Just the other day I noticed two different 3 year old bikes for sale with less than 500 miles on them. Why even buy it? Hell Pony has a 3 year old C14 on the floor with 900 miles on it. Who buys a touring bike and puts 300 miles a year on it. 

I think people buy bikes for the "coolness factor" of saying the own a bike. Will no real passion to actually ride them except to the next parking lot to lean on it. 

Edited by 2talltim

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

If I had a real motorcycle for the street you'd see me out more... 

Dude, buy @Pauly 's FZ 6. Not exactly what you want but it can be had cheap. PM me if you want help on the lowest price he will accept. I have inside info.

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

Just until the first turn, then you would be gone.

I may be slower on the street now, hard to say.

32 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Dude, buy @Pauly 's FZ 6. Not exactly what you want but it can be had cheap. PM me if you want help on the lowest price he will accept. I have inside info.

I told myself I'm getting a liter bike as my next street bike. For reasons most of you would find dumb but I get enjoyment from crushing my car friend's cars that they have put $10-$15-$20k into and still think they are fast.

I've been thinking about an fz1 for a while.....

16 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I told myself I'm getting a liter bike as my next street bike. For reasons most of you would find dumb but I get enjoyment from crushing my car friend's cars that they have put $10-$15-$20k into and still think they are fast.

I've been thinking about an fz1 for a while.....

Get a ST bagger like a connie, fjr or Wing. Nothing says humiliation like your $50k+ sports car getting beat by a bike with luggage on it. :lol: 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Get a ST bagger like a connie, fjr or Wing. Nothing says humiliation like your $50k+ sports car getting beat by a bike with luggage on it. :lol: 

So you get it. LOL. Some of my friends got cocky when I had old blue. She wasnt the fastest in a straight line and was walked by multiple cars. Need to remind them their cars aint shit. :lol:

13 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

So you get it. LOL. Some of my friends got cocky when I had old blue. She wasnt the fastest in a straight line and was walked by multiple cars. Need to remind them their cars aint shit. :lol:

I like to do the same with my wife's white Impala. Have to be a little more selective with it, quicker than it looks but not super fast. But love pulling up to teenagers in their ricers or ragged out 15 year old stangs that think they are soooo fast. Wish i could see the looks on their faces after they get smoked by a grandma car that says MS PERL on the license plate. 

Edited by 2talltim
  • Haha 1

Big Thanks to DerekClouser for allowing me in his group recon ride, sight unseen back in 12April14 and on a few other of his posted rides.

Jim Jschaf for vouching me in the fast group on my first epic ride and 5 or 6 other posted rides.

Rick Durk for posting rides now that Jim has taken a pause from riding has become my go-to member to jump in with although his Lunch choices need work.

Also all the rest of you OR folks I have met and enjoyed the riding and small talk during breaks.

Please keep posting up rides. even thou most of my current riding is ADV stuff, I love the posted OR. Street rides.

Edited by B-Mac
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, B-Mac said:

Rick Durk for posting rides now that Jim has taken a pause from riding has become my go-to member to jump in with although his Lunch choices need work.

Come on now Brian, Arby’s is good stuff. I can’t eat like a hog and then go out and tear up 26. 

7 minutes ago, durk said:

Come on now Brian, Arby’s is good stuff. I can’t eat like a hog and then go out and tear up 26. 

You obviously ain't in Tonik's gustatory league, Rick. Five pounds of lunch and hit the streets hard.

When is your first day back at school? Parenthetically, I love Arby's.

Edited by SpecialEd

9 minutes ago, B-Mac said:

My French Dip was nostalgic in nature and brought back memories of the 80's for me. 

Like this Video, Yes it's real.

I am officially embarrassed to be a (living) member of the human race. Can't unsee this . . .