For sale: Nerf® Rival XVIII-500

Tonik

So, I have always gone under the assumption that the engineers that design whatever bike I own are smarter than me and I follow their guidance. I am questioning that assumption now.

First oil change on the Wing is 4k, which I did before our trip. Got home with 9200 on it so I automatically order the oil and filter and went out to do it tonight. Was looking at the scheduled maintenance before starting and it is not due for a change until 12k. 4k first then every 8k. And on top of that.....filter change every other time.  And this is on Dino oil.

So asshats, what do you think?

Edited by Tonik

11 minutes ago, Tonik said:

So, I have always gone under the assumption that the engineers that design whatever bike I own are smarter than me and I follow their guidance. I am questioning that assumption now.

First oil change on the Wing is 4k, which I did before our trip. Got home with 9200 on it so I automatically order the oil and filter and went out to do it tonight. Was looking at the scheduled maintenance before starting and it is not due for a change until 12k. 4k first then every 8k. And on top of that.....filter change every other time.  And this is on Dyno oil.

So asshats, what do you think?

It's a new, nice, and quite expensive bike. If it were mine, I'd certainly change both the oil filter and the oil at this juncture. Cheap insurance.

Connie calls for 7500 intervals with dino oil thats what i go by but i use synthetic.

The wifes Inidan calls for 10,000 with synthetic. Think ill stick to the connies scedule on it and do it at 7500 too.

I'd do filter every time.

Edited by 2talltim

My 2008 wing has the same 8000 mile oil change schedule, but over the past 10 years i’ve noticed that beyond 6,000 miles the shifting doesn’t feel as smooth, so i try to change it every 6000 miles or so.   It’s usually pretty dirty when it comes out so I don’t feel bad about doing it early.   Never had the oil analyzed so no idea what the chemistry is....but oil isn’t expensive, so i just change it.

First: Engineers are most certainly asshats. Welcome to my reality. 

Second: The likelihood of any sort of catastrophic failure by following the maintenance schedule is virtually non-existent. Case in point: Danimal's SV650 with 200k+ miles and not one single valve inspection, let alone adjustment. If you sleep better changing it more often, then I suggest you do that....sleep is always good

Third: See "First". 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, blue72beetle said:

Doesn't matter what I own, car or bike. I change the oil/filter every 5,000 miles. Keeps the math easy. Haven't lost an engine yet.

That is how I have always done it.

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 2

I do 3k on my gsxs1000f and did filter the first 2 times, but it is a hateful bitch to do the filter on that bike so depending on what the oil looks like coming out this time I may go every other change on the filter. This is with rotella t6. First change at 600, 2nd at 3600 and it was a bit dark for my liking, but I beat on that bike pretty hard so kinda expected that, plus things still wearing in. 

13 minutes ago, Gixxus Christ! said:

I do 3k on my gsxs1000f and did filter the first 2 times, but it is a hateful bitch to do the filter on that bike so depending on what the oil looks like coming out this time I may go every other change on the filter. This is with rotella t6. First change at 600, 2nd at 3600 and it was a bit dark for my liking, but I beat on that bike pretty hard so kinda expected that, plus things still wearing in. 

Does that bike have a catalytic converter?

Come to think of it, the only oil related failure I've ever heard of first hand, was my aunt's Kia Sorento.  The engine failed around 100k, we figured out she hadn't changed the oil in over 4 years (about 50k).  The oil was very thick and sticky.

It's inevitable that you'll get responses ranging the gamut from "Every 3000 miles or you'll die!" to once a year or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first.  Truth is most of us are old guys who grew up and learned to drive and do vehicle maintenance in an era when dino oils were 1) the ONLY choice, and 2) not nearly near as good as they are today.  I'll chime in with my OPINION--which is at least as good as all the other crusty bastards on this forum (#becauseimafuckingrocketscietist)--and say that I'd do changes with dino (since that's according to the manual) at 6 month intervals or 6000-7500 miles, whichever comes first.  I'm a bit surprised that Ichiro's peeps spec dino oil--guessing because of the clutch?--and I'd prolly either use a syth blend or full synth and change at 10,000 miles or yearly.  I always use full synth in my bikes and have never had a clutch issue.  And I'd change the filter at each interval since I hate the idea of contaminating all my hard earned dollars of clean lube with dark and crusty shit lurking in the old filter.  But hey, it's a Honda so no matter what you decide, it'll eventually die LONG AFTER you sell it and move on to something new.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, max power said:

Shit, I must be a fucking caveman. Still changing oil at 3000 miles on the bike and the Toyotas.

xr650 Gets an oil change every 1500 miles

Your sig line says it all. "Creature of habit"

I can't even tell you when I change it in my cars. I go by the % meter on the dash when it gets below 10% I buy oil when I goes below 5% I change it. 

2 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Were you asking for advice? 

As evidenced by my first post where I said 'So asshats, what do you think?' Yes. I really wish Sam would answer my question about his bike having a catalytic converter so I can give him some un-requested advice and turn this into a proper oil thread. 

43 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Were you asking for advice? 

39 minutes ago, Tonik said:

As evidenced by my first post where I said 'So asshats, what do you think?' Yes. I really wish Sam would answer my question about his bike having a catalytic converter so I can give him some un-requested advice and turn this into a proper oil thread. 

I don't want to see anybody get butthurt here.

7 minutes ago, Gixxus Christ! said:

Yeah, why?

Because T6 is not rated anymore for engines that have a catalytic converter and Shell's engineers have flat out said many times don't use it.

:popcorn:

1 minute ago, Tonik said:

Because T6 is not rated anymore for engines that have a catalytic converter and Shell's engineers have flat out said many times don't use it.

:popcorn:

Welcome to 2019 . That was news back in 2012. Formula has been changed since then.