Which GPS should I get?

Tpoppa

I'm looking at the TomTom Rider 550.  It has lifetime map updates, Wifi (no pc connection needed), and a setting to find twisty, hilly roads.  Seems decent.

I've never used anything TomTom before.   Are there any better ones I should look at?  Why? 

I think any of the newer name brand ones are about on the same level playing field. With that being said keep an eye out on sites like ADV rider. Sometime you can find them cheap. I picked up my Garmin zumo 590 for less than half price of a new one on there. A guy bought it and used it on one trip then sold it. I do like my Garmin because it has the smart link to my phone and bluetooth and also has a remote app for my garmin VIRB action cam. 

Edited by 2talltim

I don't have any insight on the Tom Tom. I'm certain that it's good. I've had the Garmin Zumo 396 for a few months. It has the same features that you listed for the Tom Tom plus the smartlink to the phone features that Tim noted. It took SEVERAL rides till I learned how easy it can be to use. Stoopid people who have never used a GPS wrote their instructions. A huge feature for me is that the Garmins seem to be the ones used by folks that organize the group rides I prefer and that makes it easy to share their routes without needing to do any conversions.

Chris

So, I bought the Tomtom Rider 550.

The good

• The unit is nice.
  • The user interface is intuitive.  It looks nicer and more modern than Garmin's.  The Mydrive app is also pretty nice.
  • It's fast, almost as fast as a smart phone.

The bad

• It's kinda heavy
  • The mount is unnecessarily thick, and takes up too much real estate.

I'm returning it to buy the Garmin  Zumo 396 LMT-S because the Ninja has limited mounting options/space.  This probably wouldn't be an issue on anything other than a sportbike.  I like the actual unit better than the Garmin, but the lighter/thinner 396 is going to have to work.

Edited by Tpoppa

4 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

So, I bought the Tomtom Rider 550.

The good

• The unit is nice.
  • The user interface is intuitive.  It looks nicer and more modern than Garmin's.  The Mydrive app is also pretty nice.
  • It's fast, almost as fast as a smart phone.

The bad

• It's kinda heavy
  • The mount is unnecessarily thick, and takes up too much real estate.

I'm returning it to buy the Garmin  Zumo 396 LMT-S because the Ninja has limited mounting options/space.  This probably wouldn't be an issue on anything other than a sportbike.  I like the actual unit better than the Garmin, but the lighter/thinner 396 is going to have to work.

What ninja?

3 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

Yes.  The Ninja 400 is my version of a Grom...but with some actual speed and fun included .. :lol: 

Cash me on a cart track with that 400 son! :lol:

I ride an sv650, I already know what it feels like being gapped on a straight.

2 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Cash me on a cart track with that 400 son! :lol:

I ride an sv650, I already know what it feels like being gapped on a straight.

It's a really fun bike.  The handling is super sharp, with almost the same riding position as my VFR1200.

Compared to the VFR1200, I can carry more corner speed on the 400, but the drive out of corners is...ummm...less.

• Beer 1

15 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

the drive out of corners is...ummm...less.

That's why you carry more entry and corner speed :lol:🍺

What size tires are those? You have some decent options?

Edited by TimTheAzn

43 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

That's why you carry more entry and corner speed :lol:🍺

What size tires are those? You have some decent options?

The stock Dunlop gpr300s do well on the street.  They're even decent on the track per the Ninja 400 track day when it was released.

Edited by Tpoppa

After owning both of these:  Tomtom Rider 550 vs Gamrin Zumo 396 LMT-S

Software (both on the device and the online route tool) - TomTom is just a better design.  It's more intuitive, faster, and looks like it's 10 years ahead of Garmin.  You can load GPX files from the route tool by Wifi, Gamin still needs to be attached to a PC with a cable.

Hardware -  Garmin is just a better design.  It's slimmer, lighter, and the charging cradle takes up much less space.   TomTom is faster, but other than that it looks like the designers have never actually used a motorcycle GPS.

Neither is perfect, but I hated the TomTom charging cradle so going with the Garmin.

35 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Why aren't our super expensive phones capable of being the best GPS device we have?

I'm sure there are apps that serve that purpose.  I personally don't like the possibility of being separated from my phone when I ride.  I don't think my phone would hold up well to the vibration or weather.

12 hours ago, Pauly said:

Why aren't our super expensive phones capable of being the best GPS device we have?

Most people don't use their phones as lap timers for example, so the phone manufacturers only put in gps modules good enough for navigation but not with a good enough update rate to be uber accurate. 

Higher update rate = more money

Companies rather produce at a low cost and sell at a high cost. :dunno: