Ride report 7/25

Howabusa

I took a 340 mile ride today. Ride down to Zanesville and headed down 555. It was actually pretty clean. Took it to it’s end outside of Belpre. Had Subway in Belpre. Headed north on 339-60-83-78-216-93 and then 668.

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/26/2019 at 1:27 PM, Howabusa said:

In 2 years l am filing for my Social security.

Same here, Kent. I'll be 65 in 15 months. Still gonna teach part-time after that. What age are you starting SS?

On 7/28/2019 at 7:01 AM, SpecialEd said:

Same here, Kent. I'll be 65 in 15 months. Still gonna teach part-time after that. What age are you starting SS?

23 hours ago, Howabusa said:

I'm going to be done(full time) before I'm 50 (43 now) House will be paid off, both kids long gone, her student loan gone. I'm dumping stupid money into my 401K now like 18%, goes up 1% every year and has for the last 13 years. Momma bear loves her career and dons't mind supporting us for the years after that. I'll work part time to buy the toys and vacations.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

I'm going to be done(full time) before I'm 50 (43 now) House will be paid off, both kids long gone, her student loan gone. I'm dumping stupid money into my 401K now like 18%, goes up 1% every year and has for the last 13 years. Momma bear loves her career and dons't mind supporting us for the years after that. I'll work part time to buy the toys and vacations.

Perfect. You're doing it right! You should be proud of your accomplishments, especially at such a relatively young age.

My wife is 12 years younger than me, loves her job. We have ~half a million in 401(k) with at least 12 more years of contributions to go. No debt whatsoever. I have 2 pensions starting at age 65 plus Social Security. We're gonna be fine.

26 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

Perfect. You're doing it right! You should be proud of your accomplishments, especially at such a relatively young age.

My wife is 12 years younger than me, loves her job. We have ~half a million in 401(k) with at least 12 more years of contributions to go. No debt whatsoever. I have 2 pensions starting at age 65 plus Social Security. We're gonna be fine.

Yup not quite that much in my 401(yet) but I too have a pension will be 28ish years vested by the time I leave,  so does she. We'll just be comfortable enough not have to worry too much about money but not work our (golden years) lives away either. 

22 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

My goal is to retire at 55, or a least work because I "want to" and do something I enjoy.

My GF is 18 years younger and plans to still work for awhile I'm semi retired.

Sounds like a good plan. 

Some of my elderly neighbors who retired and no longer worked at all warned me that boredom is difficult to keep at bay, and that cocktail hour tends to start earlier and earlier for them, so my plan is to work at least part-time. Many have also told me that it's helpful to have some sort of purpose in retirement. My father-in-law was a plant manager for a big company in Florida, and he retired at 59. He watched a lot of television and did a little bit of gardening around the house, but in the end I think he was just too damn bored. He died a couple of years ago at 85, and had Alzheimer's disease.

Edited by SpecialEd

3 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

I think you need a purpose, hobbies, mental stimulation, and some physical activity.  

The thought of retiring sounds great, but doing nothing isn't an option for me.

Yes, this seems like the perfect mix. I have had summers off my entire career and, now that I'm older, find the days kinda long sometimes. I taught summer school this year for six weeks, four hours per day, and it was perfect. Will likely keep doing this in retirement.

I will collect 80 percent of max social security, full SERS (at 67) and I own 2 percent of a company with a conservative value of 200 million. That should get me a shitload of hookers and blow. That will keep me busy.

I worked till 65 and really didn't want to retire. But I did. Two retirements coming in, and waited on social security till 67-68 because I didn't need it. At some point other things happen when you sign up for social security, so I did. IRA disbursements start soon, I'm not sure I need that either, but I'll take it.

Retired can be super bored or super busy. Not even counting hobbies on that, just things to do around the house. If you're like me, I'd rather do it myself, instead of paying some one else to do it. So far it's quite nice. No rush, no hassles, lots of lazy days. Everything except that one tall palm tree in the front yard. I don't like climbing up there to trim that one. But I do it anyway.

13 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I will collect 80 percent of max social security, full SERS (at 67) and I own 2 percent of a company with a conservative value of 200 million. That should get me a shitload of hookers and blow. That will keep me busy.

I don't know how old you are, but you certainly wouldn't have to work if you just sold all or part of your stake in the company and put it into an interest-bearing MM account!! Hell, the rest is gravy.

Just now, SpecialEd said:

I don't know how old you are, but you certainly wouldn't have to work if you just sold all or part of your stake in the company and put it into an interest-bearing MM account!! Hell, the rest is gravy.

59. Still having too much fun kicking hacker ass.  It's premature to sell, it will double in value in 3 or 4 years.

2 minutes ago, Tonik said:

59. Still having too much fun kicking hacker ass.  It's premature to sell, it will double in value in 3 or 4 years.

. . . and you work for your son, which I'm sure doesn't suck at all. My God, you're set, Jim!

I felt rich when my mom left my brother and me $200,000 each when she passed away 5 years ago.