The triple nickel

Howabusa

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

Been on a little over half of the roads on that list and yeah no way I'd list them in that order. Not even sure 555 would be a top 25. 

So Tim what is the order you’d list the roads you’ve traveled? I know you’ve rode more than I have. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, durk said:

So Tim what is the order you’d list the roads you’ve traveled? I know you’ve rode more than I have. 

Depends on what kind of list we are talking about. You have scenery, road quality and or twisty quality and amount of traffic. If I had to list a #1 in all categories it would be the Cherohala. A complete list would take me some time to complete. Just know the dragon, 555 and tunnel of trees would not be in my top ten. Skyline drive isn't even on my list. 

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Depends on what kind of list we are talking about. You have scenery, road quality and or twisty quality and amount of traffic. If I had to list a #1 in all categories it would be the Cherohala. A complete list would take me some time to complete. Just know the dragon, 555 and tunnel of trees would not be in my top ten. Skyline drive isn't even on my list. 

Gotcha. Scenery is low on my rating scale, but I have to admit there is something about BRP that totally puts me in a relaxed mood. I did slow down up there and actually take in the sights. The rest of your ratings are of high importance to me.  I can understand why the dragon is low on your list due to traffic, but I have ran it multiple times on weekdays during non-peak hours (early morning/later evening) and have had some great runs through it, so it makes my top 10. 

5 minutes ago, durk said:

Gotcha. Scenery is low on my rating scale, but I have to admit there is something about BRP that totally puts me in a relaxed mood. I did slow down up there and actually take in the sights. The rest of your ratings are of high importance to me.  I can understand why the dragon is low on your list due to traffic, but I have ran it multiple times on weekdays during non-peak hours (early morning/later evening) and have had some great runs through it, so it makes my top 10. 

BRP would make a top 10 for me. You can stick to 10-15 over the limit and not draw too much attention and have a great time on some pretty decent tarmac with a view. Traffic varies up there just like anywhere else avoid on a weekend. Ive chewed up more tires on BRP than any other single road i'm willing to bet. 

• Upvote 1

With enough speed you can turn a scenic route into a fun curvy road with the extra added benefit of plenty of danger.

555 ranks for me in a listing of favorite roads but I know I'm in the minority there. I like the little bit of thrill you get from the blind rises.

I will go out of my way to avoid Skyline Drive the rest of my life on a motorcycle.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

The dragon is top 5 when it's not crowded and once you understand the rhythm. I haven't ridden 555 to really give an informed opinion - the sections I've ridden here and there have been pretty awful though between debris, road condition and blind driveways. 

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

I'm just waiting for @durk to try a track day.

It'll be all downhill from there.

I’ve done 2 at Mid-Ohio. I currently have a certificate for another. I like the trackday thing, but it’s expensive and scheduled events don’t work well with my schedule. I have a wife, 2 girls, and a farm so there always seems to be something going on. Most of my rides happen when a day just pops up that I’m free. Also I don’t think I’m fast at all on the track. I believe you’ve posted more than once about how being fast on the track is a whole different ball game. I would agree from my 2 track days. I rode novice both times with the faster group and was bumped to Intermediate last year. I could hang with the novice group no problem, but got passed like I was a car on the street a time or 2 as I was being evaluated for Intermediate. 

Any "best of" list that doesn't have California highway 1 from Mill Valley to Uriaka in the top 5 isn't based on actually riding the listed roads.

Tunnel of Trees in the top 10,yeah right.If it was in SEO it wouldn't be in my top 30 in Ohio.

• Upvote 1

Sometimes I wonder,  us being in ohio and kind of know 555 is like not even a best in 10 road within ohio. Same way whtr every state and their riders have there own hidden gem roads which doesn’t get much press. 

For eg every time some non ohio guys talk about roads “triple nick” is the one thing they all kinda heard and want to ride etc. but we know it’s kinda no big deal compared to other roads. And we know these well known roads in other state, but there must be some great hidden gems there as well.  In a way I guess WV NC etc are pretty well explored by a typical High mileage OR rider already. 

Why am I even rambling here, might as well go sleep. 

Tunnel of trees suck monkey balls compared to some of the others roads mentioned. None of the  Michigan roads deserve any mention in that list lol