Fly-By Week tell me more

Uncle Punk

http://www.flybyweek.com/RegHomePage.html

Anyone know anything about these guys? 

I just did a trip up into Maine and it's time to take the bike out again this year. I'm leery of new groups since they rarely are what I hope for them to be. It's hard to find a group of people that ride the same or want the same things out of a ride. I've tried to ride with my local BMW group but it just didn't suit me. Looking for a little more entertainment from a ride.

I don't have the luxury of getting away for a big trip again this year so I'm looking to find something interesting to get into.

46 minutes ago, Pauly said:

I think the biggest hurdle in finding like-minded riders is the fact that most are also very selective.

18 minutes ago, Tonik said:

You have to join and involve yourself in as many groups as you can to find one that fits your style. No other way to do it.

I would agree. It's the same as any other social group. If it were me, I would take recommendations from a friend or trusted associate who is involved and/or who is aware of the group's culture. Very similar to finding the right job, no? Similar in that you want to fit in and share common values.

Edited by SpecialEd

I don't want to share no common values. I want to ride fast on curvy roads, pass people on double yellows for miles and miles at a time. 

All of the old guys are riding adventure bikes now and I'm too big of a sissy to take mine in the gravel.

• Haha 1

At this point I think your best bet is to get a new Goldwing and join the GWRA. Lots of old people in that group I am told. They know all the best places to go eat. Plus some of them have trikes!

• Beer 1

34 minutes ago, Uncle Punk said:

Why are you trying to talk to me? Part of this is your fault. One of the funnest rides I've had in years was trying to follow you and now you won't ride with me no more.

You're making me feel remorseful man.  Hope you find some like minded riders.

1 hour ago, Uncle Punk said:

I want to ride fast on curvy roads, pass people on double yellows for miles and miles at a time. 

I have similar values. I’m not sure I’d be as fast as you are but I’m comfortable riding my own pace if you’re faster than me. I’d be willing to meet up and ride sometime. I ride solo quite often, so if it’s no bueno I have no problem splitting off and going separate. 

• Upvote 1

Punky I think I still have your number,  will try to text you next time I /we are out. Good rides still happen here and there. I think you will be kept entertained in most clean roads. But haven’t rode with you in a looong time, Don’t know with that new beast whtr your “goals for satisfaction” has gone up considerably more? 

Also durk my man right here I think is perfect fit for you, he is like a friendlier happier version of old school Mach R riders :D you can never go wrong with him. 

Now regarding msta rode with them 5 yrs ago while in Michigan, was an okay evening fun relaxing ride not exhilarating. Problem might be the crappy atrocious horrendous horrible boring straight roads in crap hole Michigan. But considering the overall set up of msta rides, they are well structured and organized and will be more akin to the bmw group you went with. Again, don’t take my word for this. This is based on my experience from half a decade ago in a boring state. 

9 hours ago, durk said:

I have similar values. I’m not sure I’d be as fast as you are but I’m comfortable riding my own pace if you’re faster than me. I’d be willing to meet up and ride sometime. I ride solo quite often, so if it’s no bueno I have no problem splitting off and going separate.

Me likely this stuff also. Fasty Fun.😀

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Uncle Punk said:

If I have to ride slow enough that a Goldwing will do I'm looking for a new hobby.

I would suggest knitting. Lots of hot Grandma's do that, you could get lucky.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Uncle Punk said:

I don't want to share no common values. I want to ride fast on curvy roads, pass people on double yellows for miles and miles at a time. 

All of the old guys are riding adventure bikes now and I'm too big of a sissy to take mine in the gravel.

Assuming I am one of the old guys...If/when the CB500X sells I am probably going to get a naked bike like a street triple or Z900.

1 hour ago, mango_sv said:

Groms are a blast, but only with other small bores...

It was fine on the dragon but I wouldn't want to ride it on any roads that aren't really tight twisties, would get bored fast.