Fly-By Week tell me more

Uncle Punk

16 minutes ago, mango_sv said:

The wife and I rode ours all over. It was awesome. 

LRM_EXPORT_20358963812389_20190710_144605461.jpeg

I was paranoid about my engine blowing up the whole time I was there, as well as water getting sucked into the intake (which actually became a problem). No more engine troubles though after replacing the old head with a stock one. Sadly the ported head was causing detonation, even on the coldest plug and 104 gas with -8 degree spark - so pretty much it was not fixable without a new head. 

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

Assuming I am one of the old guys...If/when the CB500X sells I am probably going to get a naked bike like a street triple or Z900.

I’ve no complaints yet on my Street Triple. Well not after the new tires and suspension adjustments anyway lol. 

I like it, just a relearning process going from liter bikes to a 675. 

36 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

I’ve no complaints yet on my Street Triple. Well not after the new tires and suspension adjustments anyway lol. 

I like it, just a relearning process going from liter bikes to a 675. 

What year did you get?

Punk, B-Mac, everybody,

JUST DO IT!

I'm a member of the MSTA. So is @Qman. I'm also helping coordinate the event, well, mostly the cooking and restaurant stuff. 

I am certain you guys can find a group at this meeting that you will enjoy riding with. There are all sorts - fast, very fast, used to be fast, and then more leisurely (that would be me.)

They post 20+ rides and provide paper maps or downloadable GPX files. The groups usually form up the evening before the ride, though some groups are set and don't change out people very often. But there are signup sheets that are for different speed preferences. Then in the morning, usually pretty early, the groups head out individually. When two or more are on the same route they will try to stagger departure times. The routes usually have a suggested lunch stop, but that is optional. They tend to get back well before dinner to get cleaned up and then hang out by the grill or the pool behind the motel. 

The event used to run Friday through Sunday and they had two cookout or catered meals. Then last year they changed the format to encourage early arrivals. But the early guys then go to an arranged restaurant - on your own tab. I also help shuttle people to the restaurants. On Thursday we hired the Marietta jitney to shuttle the 50 or so people that were there for dinner time. I am coordinator for the Friday cookout - burgers, brats, beans, slaw, chips, veggie trays, cookies from Walmart, and lots of water and sodas. A lady who hasn't done this before is planning to do kebabs on Saturday. (There's a mex place  right next door...)

I really like this group and the Marietta event is one of the largest regional meetings. Last year we had about 130 bikes. I'm expecting quite a few more based on the talk that was going on at the national rally two weeks ago in Bristol VA. You'll find all makes of bikes, lots of BMW's and even a few Harley's and wings. All of the guys and ladies are avid riders. Some will have ridden from CO, TX, WI, NJ to get to the ride. Most will probably still show up on Friday. 

Please notice that this is the first year that you don't have to join the organization in order to participate. I think we fired the lawyers. We're about to tell the AMA to take a hike if they keep insisting on getting the members contact info. So, you can just register and show up. But if you register at the event I WILL give you a burnt burger and a crumbled up cookie box with a few crumbs in it. It really helps to have a decent count for planning.

Please consider attending!

How did this turn into a grom discussion??? Oh, never mind.

Chris Shoop

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 3

Ok, It looks like I will be working in Marietta Sat 24/Sun 25.  I should do the MSTA on Tue/Wed/Thru/Fri.  Now what bike?  I should have my 50/50 tires about gone by then on the V and have a set of 90/10 Bridgestone’s that can handle the asphalt Twisty and Gravel rides.  Since the ADV stuff looks very mellow gravel and most ADV group rides are slow as fuck and could be a dusty parade of riders in Power Ranger Suits doing the “Wehrmacht” Riding style march at 35-40mph. Then again there might be a group of lawless KTM riders going mad and that would be fun. May need 50/50 tires and bring two bikes. The Z is fun on the twisty stuff that we all ride over in the SE but that HBHD Tech PT1 ride would be better on the V with the added suspension for the back road downhill air time. I will ponder this dilemma and try to decide soon. Wife and I just eat dinner at “DaVinci’s. It’s just over the bridge at 215 Highland Ave, Williamstown, WV 26187. Great Food.

Edited by B-Mac

6 hours ago, Shoop said:

Punk, B-Mac, everybody,

JUST DO IT!

I'm a member of the MSTA. So is @Qman. I'm also helping coordinate the event, well, mostly the cooking and restaurant stuff. 

I am certain you guys can find a group at this meeting that you will enjoy riding with. There are all sorts - fast, very fast, used to be fast, and then more leisurely (that would be me.)

They post 20+ rides and provide paper maps or downloadable GPX files. The groups usually form up the evening before the ride, though some groups are set and don't change out people very often. But there are signup sheets that are for different speed preferences. Then in the morning, usually pretty early, the groups head out individually. When two or more are on the same route they will try to stagger departure times. The routes usually have a suggested lunch stop, but that is optional. They tend to get back well before dinner to get cleaned up and then hang out by the grill or the pool behind the motel. 

The event used to run Friday through Sunday and they had two cookout or catered meals. Then last year they changed the format to encourage early arrivals. But the early guys then go to an arranged restaurant - on your own tab. I also help shuttle people to the restaurants. On Thursday we hired the Marietta jitney to shuttle the 50 or so people that were there for dinner time. I am coordinator for the Friday cookout - burgers, brats, beans, slaw, chips, veggie trays, cookies from Walmart, and lots of water and sodas. A lady who hasn't done this before is planning to do kebabs on Saturday. (There's a mex place  right next door...)

I really like this group and the Marietta event is one of the largest regional meetings. Last year we had about 130 bikes. I'm expecting quite a few more based on the talk that was going on at the national rally two weeks ago in Bristol VA. You'll find all makes of bikes, lots of BMW's and even a few Harley's and wings. All of the guys and ladies are avid riders. Some will have ridden from CO, TX, WI, NJ to get to the ride. Most will probably still show up on Friday. 

Please notice that this is the first year that you don't have to join the organization in order to participate. I think we fired the lawyers. We're about to tell the AMA to take a hike if they keep insisting on getting the members contact info. So, you can just register and show up. But if you register at the event I WILL give you a burnt burger and a crumbled up cookie box with a few crumbs in it. It really helps to have a decent count for planning.

Please consider attending!

How did this turn into a grom discussion??? Oh, never mind.

Chris Shoop

Oh look someone with useful information. Thanks, this makes it sound interesting. Not sure about paying to ride roads I already know though.

Why would you buy a Grom when the Monkey is available anyway?

There's no charge for the chance to meet new people from far away who travel here for those roads. They might tell you stories about AR, CO, AZ and other places you might not have visited, or roads that you didn't find in those areas.

The fee is for the two meals. Well, one on Friday , and maybe a second one on Saturday. If you come during the week, the meals at the restaurants are on your own tab. That's not very clear in the description.

On 7/11/2019 at 10:40 AM, Pauly said:

Damn, UP. You a whiney bitch lately. 

I sure have been. Last I bought a bike that I thought would allow me to ride more since I don't have to clutch it as often as the sportbike. I rode a lot last year but have only rode twice this year. Took a decent trip to Maine but one of the days was in a torrential downpour all day.

Have I mentioned that my "mother-in-law" is moving in with us today? She has two dogs that we have had for the last month while she has been in rehab. Will only be released to live with family or assisted living. We are doing so much work around the house to accommodate this new living arrangement that I don't know when I'm going to get out on the bike again this year.

When I do get out I intend to do some hard riding, whatever that means with my comfy old man bike.  

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Uncle Punk said:

I sure have been. Last I bought a bike that I thought would allow me to ride more since I don't have to clutch it as often as the sportbike. I rode a lot last year but have only rode twice this year. Took a decent trip to Maine but one of the days was in a torrential downpour all day.

Have I mentioned that my "mother-in-law" is moving in with us today? She has two dogs that we have had for the last month while she has been in rehab. Will only be released to live with family or assisted living. We are doing so much work around the house to accommodate this new living arrangement that I don't know when I'm going to get out on the bike again this year.

When I do get out I intend to do some hard riding, whatever that means with my comfy old man bike.  

Stop whining. Ride bikes. 

Or just come to the flyby week. Lotsa people there who can share similar stories, or just find a group to go riding with. 

If I lived closer to NY, I'd probably have already modified my house to allow for the in-laws to move in with us. They're in assisted living now - insanely expensive. But they had an insurance plan. My wife spent the past month there. But let's talk about riding instead, OK?  :) 

Chris

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2019 at 3:05 PM, what said:

I was paranoid about my engine blowing up the whole time I was there, as well as water getting sucked into the intake (which actually became a problem). No more engine troubles though after replacing the old head with a stock one. Sadly the ported head was causing detonation, even on the coldest plug and 104 gas with -8 degree spark - so pretty much it was not fixable without a new head. 

Both of ours engines are completely stock with the exception of the exhaust. 

On 7/10/2019 at 3:05 PM, what said:

Sadly the ported head was causing detonation, even on the coldest plug and 104 gas with -8 degree spark - so pretty much it was not fixable without a new head. 

Thicker head gasket?

4 hours ago, Tonik said:

Thicker head gasket?

Parts of the deck had been rounded off leading into the bowl which was causing a few different possible issues, one of which was hot spots.