"Must Ride" Roads in Kentucky?

Pauly

Planning on leaving Wednesday evening and staying somewhere near the KY/OH border. I have the entire weekend off and wanted to explore the fine state of Kentucky via two-wheeled conveyance. Base camp will probably be near Prestonsburg, but I am open to any/all suggestions. 

Thank you. 

• Upvote 1

I have ridden with the wife in tow on her spider.

Prestonsburg: 122S-1498-7-699-221-210-1679 West (Asphalt Little Shepard Trail) then North on 421 to Thousandsticks and Hal Rogers Parkway "80" home to Prestonsburg.

The Elkhorn route: 194 out of Prestonsburg all the way to 194-1499 into Mouthguard 460 to 610  (610 a must) then 80 into the ELK hit the Breaks lookout on the way into the Elk.

Hard to go wrong finding twisties in that area.  Pick just about any 3# or 4# route and go.  As for getting there, prolly depends on where you're crossing the river.  If you come thru the Cinti corridor between here and Ripley (i.e., OH-62S) I'd suggest the classic KY10 south out of Alexandria to Powersville, then jog 19 to 165 thru Mt Olivet to 68.  Cross the Licking and turn left on Stoney Creek Rd (if you're into goat paths--lots of Amish in this area!) to 32.  Pick up 36 to Frenchburg and one THE MUST DO RIDES is thru RRG area, so take 77-715-2016/Big Andy Ridge.  That'll get you into the proximal area.  KY28 from Booneville to Chavies is fun.

If you cross the Ohio river further east, KY201 is OK to take south toward your destination.  Once in Prestonburg, be sure to ride 160/Black Mtn to Appalachia just over the VA border.  If you're venturing further into VA, 619/High Knob Rd from Norton is nice but changes to graded gravel for much of the mid-section, so prolly need DS tires.

194 east out of Prestonburg is pretty nice all the way to the WV border.  The Little Shepherd Trail/1679 is a nice ramble, but parts of it are gravel and the paved sections aren't much better.  I was disappointed that the vistas I thought might be had were mostly overgrown and not much to see for most of the ride.

Be aware of heavy truck traffic by gravel haulers, even on the back roads.

26 minutes ago, Bubba said:

FYI, from the east you can cross the OH by bridge on 62 at Aberdeen, or take the ferry to Augusta--nice little diversion.  Then head west to pick up 10 to Powersville.

This.

10 to 22 all the way to Louisville and 4th street to party.