Balancing beads

Gpaw

I use nothing for balancing my motorcycle tires. I have only had a problem once and that was with a ContiMotion front that I know others have had trouble with even when they have balanced them. I have installed multiple tires, Q3s Roadsmarts, Pilot Roads, and even some ContiMotions with no issues at all. 

I put new Q3+ on the Ducati and left the weights on from the last change from RS10s.  Nothing noticeably negative.  I did this specifically to try out @durk's method.  I don't have a speedometer on her at the moment, but Tonik said we hit 90mph at least once on the Gap trip and she felt as solid as ever.  Considering a top speed of maybe 120, that's good enough for me to not worry about it when I take her on the track next.  

Edited by jacobhawkins

30 minutes ago, jacobhawkins said:

I put new Q3+ on the Ducati and left the weights on from the last change from RS10s.  

47 minutes ago, durk said:

I use nothing for balancing my motorcycle tires. 

was the tire heavy spot dot indexed with where the old tire's was?

3 hours ago, motocat12 said:

was the tire heavy spot dot indexed with where the old tire's was?

When I removed the first set of tires they did not have marks. With the Dunlops I always place the dot on the valve stems. Pilot Roads don’t have a dot, so I just toss them on. 

3 hours ago, jacobhawkins said:

I put new Q3+ on the Ducati and left the weights on from the last change from RS10s.  Nothing noticeably negative.  I did this specifically to try out @durk's method.  I don't have a speedometer on her at the moment, but Tonik said we hit 90mph at least once on the Gap trip and she felt as solid as ever.  Considering a top speed of maybe 120, that's good enough for me to not worry about it when I take her on the track next.  

I have no weights on my wheels, no need to tape them for the track that way. I usually mount a new set of tires and run the bike up to triple digits and if I have no issues I figure I’m good. I did this even with the crap Conti I had.

The Conti’s problem wasn’t noticeable at higher speeds. At slower speeds the bars would wobble side to side. If you took your hands off the bars you could watch them dance back and forth. I probably put 600-700 miles on the front before I put my worn out Roadsmart back on. 

Mounting quite a few tires lately ive found that if a wheel was balanced before it usually only off by 5-7 grams. Most of time they are pretty close. 

Now with the beads as a tire installer. Fuck those things they are a pain in the dick and make a mess.

Also don't think I'd put them in a wheel with a TPMS

Edited by 2talltim
  • Beer 1

They work perfectly fine with TPMS, you just can’t put them in thru the valve stem. You put them in after you mount the tire before you set the bead. 

As for mess you just stick shop vac against tire after you break bead and it gets them all. No mess

garbage.  put them in a guy's tire at the shop and the balancer shows its out of balance. lol  have fun with them.  I will charge extra to install them next time.  they're a pain in the ass to get in the valve stem.  the balancer was a brand new K&L MC200.  

Edited by serpentracer

4 hours ago, MidgetTodd said:

They work perfectly fine with TPMS, you just can’t put them in thru the valve stem. You put them in after you mount the tire before you set the bead. 

As for mess you just stick shop vac against tire after you break bead and it gets them all. No mess

they might work but they might also fuck it up.  look up how much they cost and you probably wont want to risk it.